Rancid smell

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meena.shah

Reaction score
My soaps smell rancid after 6 months I use essential oils which fades away so there is no smell.
556E88A2-FD19-43AF-BCAB-5C2E4564585F.jpeg

It's tough to tell from your formula.
It could be a lot of things, including the oils you used may have been old.

A blog mentions this:
Rancidity is due to the oxidation of fatty acids in our soap. There are many things that accelerate oxidation, including heat, light, and water, but contact with certain contaminants, even trace amounts can result in oxidation. These risks are significantly higher in recipes that have a higher concentration of free fats and fatty acids (superfat), soaps that are made with tap water, and soaps made with a high concentration of polyunsaturated fats. Signs that your soap has experienced oxidation include DOS or Dreaded Orange Spots, other types of discoloration, soft mushy spots, and foul odors.

how you stored your soap and the conditions it cured in probably has as much to do as how you made it.

I agree with @kagey . Your formula is fine, although I would lower the 7% SF to 0% SF to lower the amount of unsaponified oils/fats/butters. But that's just my thing. Not for everyone. One or more of the oils may have been old and degraded or any of the other issues she mentioned.
My only other thought is the EO you used may have morphed during cure to smell "off". :smallshrug:

Back