Is this tallow rancid?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ladka

Reaction score
I bought some sheep tallow from an Alpine farmstead where I always buy it. The lady rendered it and then froze it.
When I thawed it there was some liquid in the lower part of the glass jar and some dirt on the bottom. I cleaned the stuff twice in salted water. There was a rather strong unpleasant smell and the colour was yellowish, not white.
After two washings, with scraping of the dirt from the bottom surface, the tallow is less yellow and has less smell but still unpleasant so much so that I'm very reluctant to use it for soap. I know sheep tallow may retain some unpleasant smell after rendering that might even come through in soap but this seems far too much.
I have never dealt with rancid fat but am afraid this is my first encounter with rancidity.
My dilemma now is whether to use it or not.

Yellow in sheep fat can be either genetic, pastoral or both, so it doesn't always suggest rancidity.

The unpleasant odor is a worry ...
... and dirt? 😲 (if it got mixed with the wool at any stage, the lanolin will also stink horribly during rendering)
Another possibility - the fat from boy sheep smell much worse than girl sheep.

I'd be reluctant to use it too, but maybe one more wash with bicarbonate of soda?

Back