Post your Gripe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you share the names of a few of the companies you buy from through Amazon. Especially fragrance oils and micas. I need international shipping, and Amazon would be ideal for me. I just don't know which of those "reputable" companies are on Amazon.

Candlewic (Which is where get wax for Tarts) Essential Depot, for Lye. Some small businesses Ive come to trust (and at a decent price) there too like Ancient Health Remedies for all of my butters. I also buy Yogurt Powder from Hoosier Hill Farm on Amazon.

Small businesses can advertise or list their products on Amazon and they are actually shipped from them. I try to look for those. Even though I know Amazon jacks up the price to cover their "Free" shipping, Ive found the end price is still cheaper than someplace like Brambleberry or Nuture Soap.

I dont buy my fragrance oils on Amazon but for Mica I know TKB Trading has good prices on Mica and reasonable shipping. YOu might want to check and see if they do international shipping

That's a new one.... usually it involves a new soapmaker asking a question and getting reprimanded for selling before they've had years under their belt. I would guess that the nastiness came from relatively new soap makers and I wonder if she would have gotten the same rebuke had she purchased the oil at the local grocery store.

Yep and I could somewhat understand redirecting someone selling too soon but this seems to be more of an arrogant thing.. The somewhat funny part is these same soapers show their soaps curing on metal racks with no lining, just soap on metal but who am I to give them advice? LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Re Amazon...you could dive in head first and begin searching on Amazon for the products you are looking for. Amazon market has so many vendors now......I saw Natures oils which is Bulk Apothecarys brand, and Plant Guru? fragrance oils.....that was just two.

Can you all make a NEW Thread posting about this..... this is the Gripe thread.

Gripe, when something goes off topic for more then 2 posts :p

No really, my gripe today is a headache and a daughter who is clearly PMSing -- they do not mix well

I messed up. I tried to pick up a bag of dog food while sitting in my office chair and I felt what can only be called a lightening bolt across my lower back and down into my legs. I couldnt sit back up and had to call for my son. I laid down with ice after work thinking that would help but it didnt. I hate to go to the ER because im sick to death of being treated like a seeker if I say I am in pain. the only thing i can think of is that the disc that was close to the nerve finally compressed it. I cannot fully stand up and I cannot get out of bed withut help and extreme pain. I can only hope this lightens up or its going to be a looonnnggg weekend.

I'm late to the convo, and I really hope you've found relief by now but just in case it remains a persistent problem, I wanted to share my experience with chiropractic care and spinal decompression. A couple of years ago, I bent down to get the slow cooker out of the cabinet and couldn't stand back up. Similar to your experience, a bolt of lightning ran from lower back and down both legs. I was home alone and had left my phone in the living room! Unable to use my legs, I had to drag myself the full length of the house to reach my phone and call for help! The ER doctor said there was nothing they could do for me unless I was losing bladder control due to the severity of pain. (They wanted me to literally pee my pants from pain before they would help!) Not wanting to wait to for worse-case-scenarios, my husband called his parents' chiropractor and got me an appointment. The chiropractor I went to specializes in spinal decompression. (Spinal decomression involves laying on a table that gently and slowly stretches the spine to relieve pressure and allow space for the discs to "plump up" and move back off the spinal column.) It can take a few weeks (everyone's situation is different so it may be more or less) but it's non-invasive, doesn't require drugs, and, most importantly, IT HELPED! I can now shower, use the toilet, dress myself, walk the dog, and all the other little day-to-day activities that had become impossible due to back pain. I know it's not for everyone, but I also know what a horror back pain can be. Maybe consulting with a chiropractor familiar with decompression therapy will help you find the relief you need?

I am going to make a lot of people mad by saying this, but chiropractors are not for everybody, nor are their treatments effective or safe for some conditions. I would see a regular neurologist or orthopedist to ask about the safety of getting a chiropractic treatment for your condition before proceeding with an appointment with a chiropractor. I am a nurse, and I have seen too many people permanently harmed by chiropractors who were treating conditions out of their scope of practice. Ask a real doctor first. Your future self will thank you.

I might have mentioned somewhere that I'll be out of the country for about 2 weeks...... I've come to Pakistan, to my grandma who lives alone, but who has been deteriorating quite rapidly the last few weeks. I've actually come to bring her back home with me.

But she's being purposely obtuse. I realize she's old..... And I have a feeling dementia is also kicking in. But she hasn't been diagnosed, and of course I'm no doctor so I could be wrong but sheesh.... One minute she's normal and the next she's screaming at me that I'm a devil's child n disowning my dad n stuff.

Her normal is pretty difficult to begin with.. None of her other grandkids can stand her for long, not even when we were all younger....... I'm just.... Ugh.. Don't know what I'm feeling at this point.

Her house is just full of negative energy it's stifling and it's taking all of my positivity (some lent by others through messages n calls) to just get through each day. I'm running on only 3-4 hours of sleep since I reached last week and her house, that incidentally is the reason she's refused to go anywhere, is roach infested and I've never in my life lived this way.

I left my kids for this.. With just a maid, and my mom who is recovering from eye surgery (although when I left she was already mobile, just wasn't allowed to lift n stuff) and I'm missing them terribly to the point where I'm crying when I think about em, especially my toddler.

It's just..... I have no words.

Lol maybe I just needed to vent.. But how does one handle the elderly when they're like this? I took care of my other grandma til the day she died and she was a sweetheart right up to her last heartbeat. This one? God please grant me more patience..

Dawni, my heart goes out to you. Is there anyone there who can help you? Please look out for the caregiver: you!
Send some good vibes over will ya? She n I need it haha

My uncles family is in the same city. Imagine... She's pushed them away and they're fed up to the point that even now that I'm here they're not willingly coming over. I told em it's fine I don't mind, they've already done too much but they sent my cousin to me at least to go down to the store when I need something.

Considering I don't speak the language here, it's a big help already. But I can tell the poor guy isn't too happy about it. He's just as sleepless as I am and he was also disowned two days ago for just basically sitting on the sofa lol

I'm taking my vitamins, and trying to eat well (healthy stuff and on time) n drink lots of fluids.... But with barely any sleep I don't know how long I can keep this up.

Oh @Dawni, I feel so sorry for your troubles. Try to remember she is not entirely herself. Keep putting one foot in front of the other and carry on as best you can. Be kind to yourself - you are doing an amazing, selfless thing. I had a friend whose mother in the late stages of dementia said hateful, awful things to her. I don't know how she did it, but she managed to stay positive and loving around her mother. Of course, she wasn't living in the situation and could vent to her husband when she was at home. I hope you don't have to stay there much longer. Sending good vibes and a hug.

Oh @Dawni, I feel so sorry for your troubles. Try to remember she is not entirely herself. Keep putting one foot in front of the other and carry on as best you can. Be kind to yourself - you are doing an amazing, selfless thing. I had a friend whose mother in the late stages of dementia said hateful, awful things to her. I don't know how she did it, but she managed to stay positive and loving around her mother. Of course, she wasn't living in the situation and could vent to her husband when she was at home. I hope you don't have to stay there much longer. Sending good vibes and a hug.
I know... It's a constant, conscious effort to remind myself that she's not herself... Since she's been pretty much a generally negative, mean person even when she was younger lol but yeah......

Phone calls n video chats have gotten me through so far, and I'm not gonna allow this to get me down. I still have my kids to get home to.

Me n my cousin have started calling all this negative energy "dark matter" lol

Our tickets are booked for October 2nd and I hope she peacefully comes with me. Her only other option is a home, and this being s third world country I don't wanna even imagine what they might be like. She can't stay alone that's for sure.

Thanks for the hug!

My gripe - work related - End of Quarter. I am so irritated that everyone waits until the last week of the quarter to get all of their quarterly work done.
Of course the last time I told them that their lack of planning was not my emergency, I kind of got in trouble - so yeah, their lack of planning is my emergency. However, I'm rebellious, and they will get their stuff when I feel like sending it to them, and I'm not going to care if it gets done or not. LOL (okay, so yes, I care, and I'll get it done, but I'll be irritated and gripe the whole time!! LOL)

I might have mentioned somewhere that I'll be out of the country for about 2 weeks...... I've come to Pakistan, to my grandma who lives alone, but who has been deteriorating quite rapidly the last few weeks. I've actually come to bring her back home with me.
So sorry to hear you are struggling through this.
Sending hugs and best wishes.

My gripe is nowhere near as monumental as that of @Dawni. @Dawni, sending positive energy your way.

Where I work, we have two business under one roof (a print shop and a sign shop). One has a single employee who looks after the front desk and does some production and installation. (There's another story there; suffice it to say she takes more time off than our employer likes due mainly to family issues.) Our shop has two employees looking after customer service (myself and Tim); we share a designer. Early in September, Tim suffered a heart attack and a collapsed lung and ended up in Intensive Care for almost two weeks. I was able to cover his absence by working 9 hours per day without breaks, which was very tiring. He did come back to work but hasn't worked a full day since. Today, we found out he will be off until at least the beginning of November... doctor's orders and not unexpected. I am not looking forward to a month of 9 hour days; quite the opposite -- I was looking forward to taking a day or two off to prep for my upcoming markets.

@Dawni I feel like we are probably dealing with similar situations. My father in law has narcissistic personality disorder along with being bi-polar, and now at 83 he has a bit of dementia. He has been horrible to his children and his ex wife over the years, and for their mental sake there were several years of estrangement where they didn't speak to him at all...he was mentally very abusive. Now his memory is failing him and he is highly anxious so we have all stepped up to keep him safe and cared for. He is excessively demanding and makes it pretty clear he wants a staff and not family. No appreciation for anything everyone does for him and a lot of threats and guilt trips. My husband and his sister get between 10 and 12 calls each a day....half as "emergency" calls at work, which is not acceptable by their employers and he won't accept that he can't call when they are at work. He had his license revoked a couple of years ago so now he thinks the kids should leave work to take him where he wants to go at any time of the day and becomes very angry when they say they can't. It is very challenging to deal with those types of personalities. I hope things get easier for you!

Latest posts

Back