Petra style hanger swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There’s a terrific tutorial by @lionprincess00 on the SMF Challenge YouTube channel if anyone is interested in learning how to do a hanger swirl, Petra style. Along with the tips I gleaned from the challenge discussion thread, I was well-prepared to give it a try.

8C8A93A4-EB5D-4998-9057-6CD078EE0E46.jpeg

@SaltedFig has very kindly indexed the challenge threads here:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-soap-challenges-across-the-years.72159/

I also revisited the recent linear pour challenge technique. This batch is quite ashy, but the bars should clean up fine when they harden a bit more. ETA: I switched out the photo below to show one more soap. I forgot to mention that I did the linear part of this pour as a funnel pitcher side pour, layering the colors with the uncolored base batter in the pitcher. I think you can see the thin layers best from the side in the bottom soap on the left.

7240CB13-B98E-45E0-B390-F24365C1644F.jpeg

As a side note, these two soaps were made from one bigger batch of base and the same mica colors. It’s interesting how much the pattern influences perception of color. I’m still learning how to balance uncolored versus colored batter to achieve the “look” I’m going for with the different patterns.

ETA: one more “rough” cut of soap made with the same micas I used above (all from Nuture: Ultra Violet, which is discontinued, Iris, Vibrance Yellow) pls a blend of Caribbean and Klein Blue. This is also a swirled, linear pour, but I used used bottles to lay down the lines of batter. The yellow was highly diluted relative to the bars above. The expected side pattern from the line pour is seen on the bottom left bar.
4D5118C6-4E8F-4E7C-A1D4-55371C99444B.jpeg

Notes: Post was also edited slightly for clarity on how I filled the pitcher for the line pour on the second soap.

Last edited:
Beautiful soaps, all three of them! I'm very curious what you mean by this:
I forgot to mention that I did the linear part of this pour as a funnel pitcher side pour, adding the colors to the base batter in the pitcher. I think you can see the thin layers best from the side in the bottom soap on the left.
Do you mean you poured all the colors in a funnel pitcher and then used that to make to lines instead of making individual lines with squeeze bottles? Or am I misunderstanding? Sounds like an interesting technique and I love the whispy thin lines you got!

Beautiful soaps, all three of them! I'm very curious what you mean by this:

Do you mean you poured all the colors in a funnel pitcher and then used that to make to lines instead of making individual lines with squeeze bottles? Or am I misunderstanding? Sounds like an interesting technique and I love the whispy thin lines you got!
Thanks szaza. And, yes, I layered the batter in a funnel pitcher and then poured it down the side of a slightly tipped slab mold, moving back and forth as you normally do for a side pour. I filled the pitcher using a technique I learned from another SMF challenge video by newbie: . I’ve also tried pouring lines parallel to the imaginary line between the spout and the handle and drop type pours of soap into the pitcher, but I like this technique the best for getting wispy lines. As an added bonus, there are no bottles to clean out and less soap gets wasted.

You may also want to watch the next video in the series where she talks about about how trace affects the pour. To use this technique as a line pour, it becomes a bit of a trade off between having batter that will move easily across the mold and having the lines/colors stay relatively crisp (also see the Petra hanger swirl video for batter thickness for a side pour). I start at late(?) emulsion and don’t let the batter thicken up in the pitcher before I start pouring.

There’s a terrific tutorial by @lionprincess00 on the SMF Challenge YouTube channel if anyone is interested in learning how to do a hanger swirl, Petra style. Along with the tips I gleaned from the challenge discussion thread, I was well-prepared to give it a try.

View attachment 43350

@SaltedFig has very kindly indexed the challenge threads here:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-soap-challenges-across-the-years.72159/

I also revisited the recent linear pour challenge technique. This batch is quite ashy, but the bars should clean up fine when they harden a bit more. ETA: I switched out the photo below to show one more soap. I forgot to mention that I did the linear part of this pour as a funnel pitcher side pour, layering the colors with the uncolored base batter in the pitcher. I think you can see the thin layers best from the side in the bottom soap on the left.

View attachment 43352

As a side note, these two soaps were made from one bigger batch of base and the same mica colors. It’s interesting how much the pattern influences perception of color. I’m still learning how to balance uncolored versus colored batter to achieve the “look” I’m going for with the different patterns.

ETA: one more “rough” cut of soap made with the same micas I used above (all from Nuture: Ultra Violet, which is discontinued, Iris, Vibrance Yellow) pls a blend of Caribbean and Klein Blue. This is also a swirled, linear pour, but I used used bottles to lay down the lines of batter. The yellow was highly diluted relative to the bars above. The expected side pattern from the line pour is seen on the bottom left bar.
View attachment 43353

Notes: Post was also edited slightly for clarity on how I filled the pitcher for the line pour on the second soap.
Wow, how lovely! They really look nice!

Latest posts

Back