Not the color I expected...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kisha

Reaction score
...but pretty anyways! I wanted a light blue base with a dark pink swirl but the soap decided that green would match the scent better. I think the soap knows best! I used Sleeping Angels from BB. It moved fast so I had to glop the pink and push it down into the "blue" base for an in the pot swirl. You can still see some bits of blue streaking because I didn't mix the pigment in completely. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1421794474.170705.jpg

I used ultramarine blue pigment from Brambleberry. I did use a spoon in the green oxide before but it had just a light powder coating on the spoon. Not really enough to change the blue color. The soap glop was a pretty blue but started to turn green by the time I was pouring. I used olive oil, lard, cocoa butter, castor oil, soybean oil and coconut oil with distilled water.

Forgot to say, I used the rest of the blue in a second batch the next day, same recipe, and it remained blue. The only differences are that I used a little more pigment to less soap for a darker blue and a lavender EO.

That's interesting! I've never had that color morph on me before. It's still beautiful. :)

Can pigments not known to change do so because of the FO or is it something I should be concerned about?
And thank you!

Very Pretty I love the color combination, and the shade of green. Yes I have had a fragrance oil morph the color of my soap, the gold and purple soap turned to gold and green. I haven't had that happen with oxide though, my morph was with mica. I had used the same purple mica many times without any issues.

Yeah, I've seen micas morph before but never a pigment. I want to make another batch to see what happens. Well, more like I HAVE to make another batch. My tiny little devil chihuahua thing escaped his cage while I was at work, jumped onto the counter and knocked over all of my curing soaps (three batches worth) and several glass vases. The soaps now have doggie footprints, hair and glass in them.

Last edited:
Back