More soaps (constructive criticism appreciated)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koshka

Reaction score
So, I have sent a bunch of photos I've taken (refer to my previous post in this section) to my website guy, and guess what he told me? That the photos don't have any "allure" to them. I got pissed at him and wasted a whole day taking more photos, cuz I'm too cheap to hire a photographer.

I'm afraid that all that extra stuff is taking attention off the actual soaps. Any thoughts on these?

xoxo,

Kosh

varwwwclientsclient1web3tmpphpaekBuG.jpg

varwwwclientsclient1web3tmpphpq9Eabb.jpg

varwwwclientsclient1web3tmpphpVOQLq2.jpg

Personally I like photos that are staged like that. I know there are others that prefer to have a white background and focus on just the product. To each their own I guess but I do like this photos.

Lindy said:
Personally I like photos that are staged like that. I know there are others that prefer to have a white background and focus on just the product. To each their own I guess but I do like this photos.

Thanks, Lindy! I'm one of those people who like clean background. That's why I am so uncertain about these.

I think something in the background is nice but not too much, there seems to be too many items in one shot.

Maybe you could take out the washers and oil in the top one and just leave the base and the orange wedge, green leaf, the lavender the same and just leave about 3 stalks of lavender with it. The bottom one leave the green, soap, oatmeal. I think no more than 3 items in each would look good and wouldn't detract from the main item which is the soap.

Dh had his product photographed by a professional photographer in his studio and his was on a white background, but those photos went into an upmarket craft mag and thats how they wanted them.

I like that the soap is front and center, and the accoutrements are cropped to the edges. I'm with Relle9 and would ditch the wash cloths, and I would also remove the purple wrapping from the lavender bunch because I found it distracting...that could be because purple is my favorite color and my eye was automatically drawn to it :wink: I love the leaves/herbs/oats/honey though! And the lighting is great too, nice and clear.

I feel your pain, as I'm planning to rephotograph all of my products this coming week...ugh... :|

Thanks guys! Ill get rid of the bulky stuff in the back and maybe leave 1 more item to complement the bar. I was thinking about using these photos for the Home page slide show, but for the individual products I'll be def. using simple and clean pictures :)

Now, I'm running back to the photographer to point a finger in his face and tell him: See? I was right! Hehe

I have to agree...the soaps are beautiful and the photographs are awesome!!!!!!

Maybe you can view it like that old adage about judging whether or not you're wearing too many accessories ("look in the mirror before you go out, and then take one thing off"). Maybe line up your shots, then remove one thing. Personally I like the above photos; my personal soap pics are very plain without added items, but either way works fine for me.

One alternative is to just blur your background and keep the soaps in sharp focus. You'd still get the added interest of the vignette, but keep the viewer's focus on the soap.

I see lots of allure and charm so no criticism. You have a good camera. I wouldn't know the first thing about photographing soaps, which I why I haven't got any up in this forum.

Wow, you're a good photographer. I think less is more, but having said that I do like your pictures.

Latest posts

Back