Vegan Shave Soap Recipe. With Pictures!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CloudShave1487

Reaction score
UPDATE 07/03/2023 9:17pm: Alrighty, without further ado, my shave soap testing is finally done and I am proud to announce that my vegan shave soap is finished curing and it is a success! After years of formulating, and many months of testing our batch after batch (an unbelievable amount of failed attempts) and many do overs, it is finally here. A shave soap with a lather that is comparable to the ones you get with shave soaps made with animal fats such as Tallow. You'll notice that the lather is very hydrated, smooth, with some sheen. It is extremely dense, soft, and slick. For the first time I was able to get a full 3 passes without any cuts or weepers using a very cheap razor I purchased at the dollar store.

I do apologize for the horrible quality to the photos. My phone is very old and it doesn't take the best photos. I am also not a photographer. From top to bottom, I used hot water in all photos (I have hard water problems to note here). First photo is the soap finally cured. I would love to note here, that this soap really benefits from being worked on by the brush, so after adding water, always work and combine with the brush. Using this technique of adding drops at a time while working with the brush, you can achieve the hydrated lather in the photos below. It should appear as a "cream cloud" although, for my preference, I prefer the lather be a little more hydrated, small peaks, and almost dripping from my neck.
Vegan Soap Cured.jpg

The ideal amount for this base is about the size if you'd get if you dipped your finger and scooped some out. This is smeared onto the bowl, or on your shave brush, whichever you prefer.
How Much To Use.jpg
Soap Into Bowl.jpg

Below, I added just a few more drops of hot water, as you can see where the brush is.
Few drops of Hot Water.jpg
Working the lather.jpg

This is the fully hydrated lather. You can see that the lather is completely smooth, no bubbles, and is shiny. In my hands, it feels super soft, smooth, and extremely dense.
After some more water.jpg
Hydrated lather.jpg

After testing out the shave soap I have a few things to say in regards to how this lather performs over other brands specifically Arko, and Badger Shave soap. After 3 passes, my skin felt soft. Delicate almost. Not as oily as Badger Shave, but still kept my skin feeling moisturized. I was able to shave with the traces amount of soap left after just finishing the 3rd pass, so the soap is very slick. The slickness allows the razor to glide and I do not feel any burns whatsoever.

Comparted to Arko shave soap, my shave soap was much more moisturizing and left no drying on my face after the shave. Arko does provide a good amount of slickness, but not enough to avoid small cuts with a cheap razor. (I tend to use the razor very slowly from top to bottom in short strokes). I If I can rank the soaps from most drying to most moisturizing, it would be as follows: Badger and mine were about equal with mine being just a little less drying and Arko is the most drying, which is expected from a shaving soap made with more coconut oil than what I'm used to using. Still a great budget soap. I cannot say anymore since I have to have people try it now. I will be going around town and seeing how it goes with other people and giving away free samples. I will try to get more content up here as soon as possible.

I will be shaving with this soap, and continue to make videos showcasing it in a different thread once I have my Youtube channel up and running. If you guys want to see short videos of the lather in motion, you can see them on my snapchat: Lonewolfandcub27, I already have shorts showcasing the lather there, with a shaky cam. I recorded it using one hand so please bear with me! If anyone is seeing this thread, please let me know how the lather looks to you, I would love to hear what you have to say about my shave soap. Sorry for taking so long in completing the thread, even though I should have had it done from the beginning! Have a great night, everyone!

Attachments

• lather build complete.jpg
    lather build complete.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hey, I missed this one earlier in the month. It looks good to me! I'll see if I can find you on other social media.
Thank you, Jorah. I was worried that people who have been wet shaving for a long time would see me lather and think its no good. I appreciate the feedback. Just please note that the videos were all made using my really old phone, it has no audio except for the sounds of the natural things in the video.

Hey, I missed this one earlier in the month. It looks good to me! I'll see if I can find you on other social media.
Hey, Jorah, that's okay, I just couldn't help but notice that a member's message on here was deleted or am I imagining things? And I cannot find my thread on the 'thread view', idk if I am just imagining things. :/

Latest posts

Back