Moon Cake Press?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been SO HUMID here lately that I don't dare make any, let alone bring to the Market where they will puff and speuw all over :(
I really like these too

I have just the opposite here. Having said that, right now our humidity is sitting at 75%. Once the sun hits, though, it will go down to about 15-20%. There's a possibility of thunder showers in our forecast... NOT good news, even though we need the rain. Like California, fires are a very real threat.

I'm doing a little happy dance here! I made another batch of bath bombs today, using a different recipe. It worked!! They're nice and hard, smell amazing, and the leftover bits fizzed like crazy!

20180806_165512_HDR.jpg

20180806_120615_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my presses. I've finally got recipe that works like a gem for me(as long as I don't throw them in the oven right away). I made 60 this weekend. All wrapped and ready to go. Will try to remember to get some pictures....Keep forgetting.

They look gorgeous!
I've never seen bath bombs at the farmers markets here in New Zealand. Probably most people wouldn't even know what they are. I searched for some info and came across this interesting article which explains the chemistry of it and contains good tips for bath bomb optimization, especially how to prevent early reaction, which may be useful for humid climates.
w.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/education/chemistry/Chemistry-of-Bath-Fizzies-and-Bath-Bombs.aspx

They look gorgeous!
I've never seen bath bombs at the farmers markets here in New Zealand. Probably most people wouldn't even know what they are. I searched for some info and came across this interesting article which explains the chemistry of it and contains good tips for bath bomb optimization, especially how to prevent early reaction, which may be useful for humid climates.
w.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/education/chemistry/Chemistry-of-Bath-Fizzies-and-Bath-Bombs.aspx

Interesting article. I love my bath bombs. Lush does some amazing ones but they're crazy expensive. I've been making them, off and on, for almost 20 years (not much in the past few years, though). Humidity isn't a problem here; I have the opposite. Our humidity is usually low (right now, it's 22%) so I usually have to add more moisture than most recipes call for. I find the amount of moisture needed varies almost daily.

I'm doing a little happy dance here! I made another batch of bath bombs today, using a different recipe. It worked!! They're nice and hard, smell amazing, and the leftover bits fizzed like crazy!

View attachment 31481

View attachment 31480
Very cool! I made some might gold cinnamon bun ones yesterday, I'm have to take pics in the morning!

I'd love to see them!
I'm have them up tomorrow :) I dusted the tops (and my face) with copper and gold ,:) the scent isn't as fragrant during use, but yummy smelling regardless lol

Cinnamon bun bath bombs! Cute but the smell isn't that strong in the bath unfortunately.
IMG_3581.JPG

I lost a few of my moon cake presses for a long time, thought I lent them out. Nope, when I 'organized' my lab, I put them in a place I didn't think to look until this weekend and found them. I'll be making some moon cake bath fizzies this weekend. I just love them. They look so great. And I can somehow even get mine to float and spin even with packing them as tight as I can! :)

Cinnamon bun bath bombs! Cute but the smell isn't that strong in the bath unfortunately.View attachment 31518
Beautiful!!

I lost a few of my moon cake presses for a long time, thought I lent them out. Nope, when I 'organized' my lab, I put them in a place I didn't think to look until this weekend and found them. I'll be making some moon cake bath fizzies this weekend. I just love them. They look so great. And I can somehow even get mine to float and spin even with packing them as tight as I can! :)

Mine sink. What's the secret to getting them to float and spin?

Mine sink. What's the secret to getting them to float and spin?
I'm not sure, but they do float and spin. I'm surprised because I pack those suckers TIGHT in the moon cake press.

Mine float too. If they sink they are generally packed too tightly in my experience.
I pack mine so tight in the moon cake press, that it surprises me they float. If I don't pack them tight in the press, the tops dust off.
Now my round ones, to get them to float and spin, I pack loose-ish, and put more mix in one side of the mold than the other, and that achieves the floating/spinning.

Honestly no idea how/why my moon cake press ones float and spin, but they do. They just don't spin as fast as my round ones.

Beautiful!!
Thanks! I'm having too much Fun lol! I upped the slsa amount a bit, seems to assist with the floating. Honestly, im surprised they float because their packed tight and I think they end up on the more wet side of things but if I don't use enough they crumble all over the place. I use alcohol only along with the oils and fo. When I used to use witch hazel they would all sink like rocks. May be a cause but I don't know for sure.

I'm not sure how you have the patience to make the separate color just on the top for the design. Very pretty
It really doesn't take a lot of patience. I just rub a little of the contrasting colour into the mold before filling with the main colour(s).

Yummy, yum, yum.:):):) BTW, it's the Moon Festival this weekend.
It is?? Cool!

Latest posts

Back