Moon Cake Press?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been too wet here to make bath bombs but I wanted to do something with my presses. At last week's market, someone bought the rest of my Shower Steamers so I decided to make some more. These always turn out for me and the weather doesn't seem to affect them. The white ones are Menthol & Peppermint; the pale orange/pink ones are Menthol & Sweet Orange, and the green ones are Menthol & Lemongrass. I'll be making more of these before the Christmas markets, for sure!

20180919_164046_HDR.jpg 20180922_171452_HDR.jpg

Being a shower person, I don't make bath bombs. Could you use the moon cake press to cut soap?
Not really, it's meant to be filled with product, then it gets pushed out, the edge of the press is not sharp and the press is plastic, it's more for moulding.

Being a shower person, I don't make bath bombs. Could you use the moon cake press to cut soap?

You could make shower steamers as misschief pointed out.

Not really, it's meant to be filled with product, then it gets pushed out, the edge of the press is not sharp and the press is plastic, it's more for moulding.

You could use the insert plate as a stamp, and stamp your soaps, but as Relle pointed out, you probably could not cut soap using the press.

As always you make them beautifully, blue with that fragrance goes really well.:tub: :winner:

Gonna ask a newbie follow up question... If you HP a soap that's not too fluid to begin with, and let's say for the sake of this thought, that it won't harden too quickly after the cook, could you glop some into this press and turn out a nice decent sized bar of soap?

I've never seen a moon cake press in person (so I don't know how they work and my question is based on no fact at all lol) but I've seen several online and I love how they are very detailed.

You would have to have something pretty firm as it's a push mould and if you could glop it in, it maybe too fluid and leak out the top. There are some very tiny holes in the removable patterns of the mould. Only one way to find out, they are not that expensive and if it doesn't work you can make moon cakes.

You would have to have something pretty firm as it's a push mould and if you could glop it in, it maybe too fluid and leak out the top. There are some very tiny holes in the removable patterns of the mould. Only one way to find out, they are not that expensive and if it doesn't work you can make moon cakes.

Thank you :)

Then that would mean anything more liquid than solid might not work too, like lotion bars..

I asked coz they would make very cute lotion bars and soaps, and the silicone molds available here aren't as detailed.

I'm inspired to try out some shower steamers from this thread, as opposed to bath bombs, as very few people I know even own a tub in their houses lol.. Very pretty stuff you guys have come up with!

You might have to order moulds for what you want to make, from China, they are pretty quick on delivery and cheap, usually free postage. They have plenty with patterns.
Shower steamers might be good for you to try and then you can practice using the moon press.

Basically, a moon cake press is nothing more than a cookie press. With that in mind, think of whatever it is you want to press; it should have the consistency of a cookie dough, the roll out kind, for best results. That may help you decide whether or not what you want to try will work.

Lotion bars really will not as Misscheif mentions it is a cookie press. You can get silicone moon cake molds that work work just fine for soap. I have seen them on Amazon

Misscheif, those Bath Bombs are beautiful. May I ask, do you happen to use one of the recipes in the Moon Cake Cult group? No, I am not asking for your recipe... :p

I have boxes of the moon press that I have yet to make other than some small bubble moon cakes, but was not real pleased with the recipe. They were cute and easier to shrink wrap

Back