Mold Question - I know its been discussed before

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunkawakan

Reaction score
Help please. I am TOTALLY math challenged (if it weren't for Excel I absolutely could not balance my checkbook) so I beg (please??) your patients here. And I know its been discussed before so rather than reiterate what has already been said....

Could some one please tell me - in plain English written for a 2nd grader (oh, that is soooo bad but true) - how much oil I need to fill a 12" long 3" ID piece of pvc pipe?

I tried the pii thing but it just didn't make sense to me. I can program computers, read and follow construction drawings and even develop my own soap recipes but it seems to always be a guess on how much soap I'll get out of the batch.

Any help would be appreciated. I need to make a full tube tonight and because the scent is a special blend and the color is a unique blend I don't want to make too much (a little over would be fine but not 1/2 tube or anything) or too little.

Thanks

pi * r^2 is the area of the circle in your pipe.
The area * height is the volume.

So if it is 3" then r = 1-1/2

So r^2 = 1.5 * 1.5
2-1/4 (or 2.25)

Multiply that by pi (3.14159265)
and get:

pi * 2.25 = 7.06858347

That is the area of the circle. To get the volume of the tube you multiply that by the height which you said was 12

12 * 7.06858347 = 84.8230016

That is cubic inches.

In order to get the size of the batch, I have seen both .4 and .38 as the multiplier but it seems most folks here quote .4

so 84.8230016 * 0.4 = 33.9292006

if we divide by 16 to get lbs

33.9292006 / 16 = 2.12057504

And given the erase-ial principle of estimation I call it 2 lbs with a little left over stuck to the spoon and soap pot.

Absinthe - thanks... that may have been english to you but I still have absolutely no idea what you just said, sorry. I don't understand what "^" means, so you lost me in your first sentence.

I think you're trying to tell me that I need 2lbs of oil to fill a 12"L X 3" tube, right? I used that last night and came up 1.25" short (and I know my tubes are exactly 12" +/- 1/6". I realize 1.25" isn't much but its the difference of one (1) 4.5 oz bar plus 2 testers.

So now I'm really confused. I warned you, I'm math challenged to say the least.

Sorry it is hard to make the little 2 go above the other number to show that it is squared. That means multiplied by itself.

But remember it wasn't 2 lbs but 33.9292006 ounces. Which I just rounded to 2 lbs.

Remember, these are estimations. The idea is that you know your cubic inches to be 84.8230016 which is a measure of volume. (Think measuring cup rather than scale.) This can be converted to cc's or ml which would be 1389.99996 which looks like 1390 which means 1.39 liters.

The problem is that the relationship between the volume of the tube and the weight of the soap is dependent on the density of the different oils.

So someone has taken a bar of soap and cut it in to a 1x1x1 cube and weighed it. Then the measurements to come up with the .4.

However, perhaps you have answered your own question. If you know how much your 4.5 oz bar of soap(and 2 testers) weighs and what it's dimensions are (uncured) you can simply add that to the calculation we came up with as a corrective measure. And that would be pretty darn close. Of course you could always make a little more and just have a small mold or two laying around for the overflow.

Or you could weigh a 1" by 1" by 1" cube of your uncured soap and we can come up with your own multiplier.

what ratio are you using for lye:water?

that makes a difference when you figure the total volume of your batch.

so it would be 2.12 lbs???? 33.9292006 / 16? And if I were to use a 6" tube instead of a 12" tube it would be 1.06? And two 12" tubes would be 4.24?

Sorry, but this is as clear as octopus ink.

Deda said:

Using soapcalc at 38%, don't have recipie in front of me, sorry.

Deda --

Here's a question, I have never seen anyone account for anything other than the weight of the fats. When they plug it into calculators it is always "the weight of the fats" in the recipe that you seem to get.

I assumed it was calculated by someone simply measuring their resulting soap and back calculating to come up with weight:volume ratio.

Why wouldn't the amount of water matter if you're trying to figure volume?

Sunkawakan said:
Deda said:

Using soapcalc at 38%, don't have recipie in front of me, sorry.

So about 33% lye solution. You'd need (give or take, depending on your recipe) 34.2 oz, or 970 g.

I use a 40% solution, I would use 36.2 oz, or 1025 g to fill the same mold.

I used the aggregate SAP from my basic recipe - just to show the difference using more or less water.

I am not saying it doesn't matter. What I am saying is that I don't see it accounted for in the formulas for calculating mold filling.

And I agree definitely that the more water you use the more volume you will have in the mold.

That is why I assumed the calculators for that were just close approximations.

ok but I was thinking more like the sticky here on this forum for calculating the oils for a mold

Have I mentioned that the SoapMaker3 program calculates the size of a new mould for you when you key in the dimensions and can then re-size recipes to fit? :wink:

Sunkawakan said:
Help please. I am TOTALLY math challenged (if it weren't for Excel I absolutely could not balance my checkbook) so I beg (please??) your patients here. And I know its been discussed before so rather than reiterate what has already been said....

Could some one please tell me - in plain English written for a 2nd grader (oh, that is soooo bad but true) - how much oil I need to fill a 12" long 3" ID piece of pvc pipe?

I tried the pii thing but it just didn't make sense to me. I can program computers, read and follow construction drawings and even develop my own soap recipes but it seems to always be a guess on how much soap I'll get out of the batch.

Any help would be appreciated. I need to make a full tube tonight and because the scent is a special blend and the color is a unique blend I don't want to make too much (a little over would be fine but not 1/2 tube or anything) or too little.

Thanks

No Math--just feed in yr info & voila! :wink:
http://www.summerbeemeadow.com/SitePage ... ators.html

Back