Mold Opinion Please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabius

Reaction score
Hello All.

I am new to the world of soap making. I've been reading and researching for a couple od weeks now. There's so much information and resources out there, in fact almost too much. The one area I'm struggling with is the molds. I really don't want to have to use liners. Has anyone had experience with these wood supported silicon molds from China?

http://tinyurl.com/lqm87p3

This is one that looks more sturdy:

http://tinyurl.com/kh7ebet

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Thanks,

Tom

The first type is what I would choose, however this eBay seller has quite a bit of negative feedback, and I would rather deal with someone closer by if there were problems. I have heard many complaints about the second mold. If you have someone who could make the box Bramble Berry has a great 5 lb liner, not sure about other sizes. Also Nurture Soap Molds has a 2.5 size, she is on etsy, and has a site. Bottom line you will spend a little more than the first option, but will have something you want to use. There are also some very expensive options that I wouldn't consider until you decide that you are going to make soap often. For just starting out you can also purchase a 12 cavity silicone mold from Bramble Berry for about $12.50 and they come round, square, and rectangular.

Essential Depot also sells silicone mold liners. You can just use the box the mold comes in to support it until you can buy a wooden mold to fit the liner.

I have some of the second ones from Do Right Molds. I cut out the soap with a cutter and it works pretty well. The seller was a real hassle though, sent me a rusty cutter, wrong shipping address, really an endless nightmare.

Thanks for the great input. I have ordered the silicon mold with wood box from the Chinese supplier. I'll report back on it once I use it. I will also order the silicon mold from Essential Depot and follow Isg's advice and use the shipping box.

Thanks to Marilyna suggestion I stopped at Dollar Tree and bought a drawer divider. I'll post on how it works.

Since you're new, try drawer dividers from Dollar Tree. No lining needed. I do spray mine with Pam and the soap pops right out. Makes a nice loaf and they cost a whole .50 or a dollar. I just use multiples if I want a big batch. Love them

Since you're new, try drawer dividers from Dollar Tree. No lining needed. I do spray mine with Pam and the soap pops right out. Makes a nice loaf and they cost a whole .50 or a dollar. I just use multiples if I want a big batch. Love them

I used the Dollar Tree draw divider as suggested and it works great! This mold is made of a hard plastic and I was concerned that the heat of the soap would cause it to warp. I poured at about 125 degrees and there was no warping nor bulging. Made 3 lbs. of soap. I sprayed the mold before pouring with olive oil Pam and removing the loaf was easy.

Tom

I am so jealous, I read somewhere else about the Dollar Tree drawer dividers and went directly to my Dollar Tree....they didn't have any!:cry:

I have cut the soap and I noticed that the mold and thus the soap has a sight wedge shape to it. Tom

Back