Masterbatching

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOhoarder

Reaction score
When you make a batch of soap, you have to be extremely accurate when measuring right? I'm confused about masterbatching being accurate in your mini batches from your main masterbatch. How do you know if your really getting let's say 5% castor oil when pouring your mini batch from your masterbatch? Every oil has a sap value so how do you really know how much lye to use. I know you should mix it up and everything but I can't wrap my head around the fact of accuracy. Please tell me what I'm missing!

Here is the latest tutorial from Soaping101:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGYLP9Ht-Bk&feature=c4-overview&list=UU6NFc1XyVdzuyQw-f9HG42g[/ame]

I saw it this morning! That's what prompted my question. Lol while she explains how to do it I still don't know how accurate it is as far as your recipe is concerned.

Once heated and mixed your oils should be homogenized typically you then pour your MB into workable portions, two pounds per bottle if you work in two pound batches. Your now smaller bottles should have equal parts of each oil in each bottle. Is that what you were asking or are you looking for the math on making changes in successive batches?

Let say your recipe is...

50% OO
25% CO
20% PO
5% Castor

Now I want to masterbatch 5 batches so I weigh out 10 lbs of oils in the percentages above.
When it's all melted and combined and you put it in 2 lb batches, how accurate is that batch that you have the percentages above. What's to say I don't have more OO in one container than I do the others? And I don't quite have 25% CO in another? Because it all melts together then it's all good? I would like to give this a try but I don't want my recipe to be off in the end result.

As long as everything is thoroughly combined its going to be at the correct percentages. If you didn't mix it well enough or say everything isn't fully melted down, then yea it would be off. Once fully combined though its no different than saying how do I know I'm getting a consistent level of the fatty acids when measuring out part of a bottle of oil. Like how Palm needs to be melted down and mixed prior to measuring out for a consistent product.

If you mix it all the oils should be evenly distributed in the batch. Just like each bar of soap would have equal amounts of all the oils you put into the pot. Just mix well before you split it out into your smaller containers.

I masterbatch. I mix 5-5lb batches at a time in a large bucket. I melt all my hard oils and butters and put them in the bucket, then I add my liquid oils and add those. I mix it well and let it sit until I'm ready to make my soap. When I'm ready I just give it a good stir and measure it out. I've not had any problems doing this. It just seems to work fine. Give it a try with maybe two or three small batches and see how you like it. It's certainly a time saver. I'm considering masterbatching lye next but that makes me more nervous as I'm afraid I'll mess that up.

Masterbatching seems like a nice compromise between making a huge batch of soap at once, and having to fiddle around with the ingredients every time. I'm hoping to start selling my shaving soaps online at the beginning of the year, and will probably do this.

When I master batch my oils in a 5 gallon bucket, I use my hand drill with paddle type attachment to mix them. You could use the bit for mixing drywall mud too, it's like a long strong spiral whisk type thing :)
It works very well and that way I'm sure to get all the oils we'll blended...even at the bottom of the bucket. Then I pour into smaller buckets for my individual 4lb batches (I mix with the drill in between pours just to be sure it stays blended) and store them on the shelf until ready to soap. SO much more convent and time saving! I also master batch my lye. I just do a 50/50 solution and then add additional water or milk, tea to the oils before adding my lye solution. Has worked well for me so far!

Do you use the same basic recipe for all your soaps, or do you have a part of the recipe in common that you masterbatch? Each of my recipes is different, so I'm not sure how I would masterbatch. But it definitely interests me for when I get to the point of selling. But I'm not sure I'd be able to integrate it.

Lin, I do sell and most of my soap has the same blend of fat/oils, so master batching works great for me. I think the only way it would work if your fats are different for each recipe would be if they each share some base. If all your recipes have 20% coconut, 30% olive, and 10% castor (just random numbers here) and then the rest of the oils are different you could master batch those three. Then when your ready to make some you use your percentage from the master batch and add the alternate oils to equal 100%. Of course this only works if your recipes share at least some oils in the same percentage.

No clue if that made any sense or helps at all...but there it is :)

Thats what I was thinking, and that maybe as I'm developing recipes I should at least have something in common like a minimum amount of coconut and olive I could masterbatch lol. All my recipes have those 2.

Hmmm ... I've been curious about master batching my oils... Glad I saw this thread. I think I will give it a try. Thanks! :)

Does anyone enter a large batch in SM3? I want to enter a 45lb batch with mb lye and oils.

Can you lead me in the direction of a recipe for a 45lb batch? Im using co, oo, caster, shea and palm. I want to do a 50/50 solution.

Latest posts

Back