Cold Process at Hobby Lobby

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artemis

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I made a quick dash to Hobby Lobby yesterday and stumbled across this tiny Makesy section. They have a pre-mixed "Trinity" oil base and a bottle of 50/50 lye solution. There's also a collection CP fragrances and essential oils as well as other necessities, like scale, stick blender, mold, etc. there's a project book to go along with it. It is mostly good basic information about oils and other ingredients and method. The downside to the book is that it is clearly made only for these products. So it doesn't tell you how to masterbatch your own lye solution. It was only a brief flip through of the book, though, so I'm not sure if it explains how to use calculator to create your own recipe. Oh! And the recipes in the book are for 5 lb batches! I was expecting little recipes to go with the little bottle of lye solution. I guess they are hoping to sell the big jug on the bottom shelf. They did have some fragrances grouped in kits, which could be fun for learning how to blend fragrances. I would have said it looks like a good step for a beginner who has never tried CP before, except for the large batch size in the book.

Attachments

• PXL_20231222_194241133.jpg
    PXL_20231222_194241133.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231222_194330259.jpg
    PXL_20231222_194330259.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231222_194259157.jpg
    PXL_20231222_194259157.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So interesting, thanks! In one of Soap Gal's recent YT videos, she mentioned making a soaping kit like this which would soon be in retail stores. I wonder if this is her product? If so, maybe some (kind) feedback on her YT channel would help her refine this into a better product for beginners.

So interesting, thanks! In one of Soap Gal's recent YT videos, she mentioned making a soaping kit like this which would soon be in retail stores. I wonder if this is her product? If so, maybe some (kind) feedback on her YT channel would help her refine this into a better product for beginners.

Maybe? I have never watched Soap Gal, so I don't know.

Maybe? I have never watched Soap Gal, so I don't know.

This is the video where she talks about her collaboration with Makesy on the CP soap kits. I am still shocked that they would sell premade lye solution, although I understand it is sold that way in other countries.

Last edited:
I made a quick dash to Hobby Lobby yesterday and stumbled across this tiny Makesy section. They have a pre-mixed "Trinity" oil base and a bottle of 50/50 lye solution. There's also a collection CP fragrances and essential oils as well as other necessities, like scale, stick blender, mold, etc.
Interesting, not a fan of Hobby Lobby. So I only shop there if I can't find what I need at other craft stores. It will be interesting to see if their approach works.

I checked the soap section at my Hobby Lobby yesterday, and they didn't have any of these things. It will be interesting to see if my location gets them too.

It's expensive. Did you see the price for a single small container of fragrance?

Yes, but if you have never soaped before and don't know if you will enjoy it, it's cheaper than investing in a bunch to justify shipping at an online supplier.

It's clearly not aimed at professional or long-term soapers.

I looked online and saw some of their cold process kits. I think it’s a great idea, but does need some tweaking if the book only has 5lb batches. As far as pricing goes, it’s reasonably priced for something that has been pre-mixed for you. If you compare the price of the scents to the makesy website they are actually not that bad. It is a good beginner set to see if you like soaping.

Latest posts

Back