Quantcast

lining soap trays with silicone

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

heart of dixie soap co

Reaction score
i have a bunch of birchwood soap molds that i am tired of lining with paper. i thought that i would try cutting out pieces of silicone cookie sheets and line my molds with it using silicone caulking/glue.

has anyone tried this yet? do i sound crazy or do you think this would work?

monet

Becky

Reaction score
I have a log mold that DH made me that I line kind of like that. This mold, all the sides are hinged & fold down, so I cut pieces of silicone baking sheet to the right size & I catch them in the hinges of the mold. It works really well.

This is not a real helpful explanation, is it? :oops: I'll take some photos so that you can see what I do...

IanT

Reaction score
I think what you should do is buy some silicone in the tube, take one of those hard-ish plastic squeegee type things and then you can just squirt it and level it out like you were icing a cake, nice and even and thin layered...Ive seen a tutorial online somewhere so I know it does work and it seems to make it much easier to take the soap out of the molds!

heart of dixie soap co

Reaction score
silicone lining

found the answer! kitchencollection has large blue silicone cookie sheet liners ON SALE! i found by the makers of crazy glue a silicone caulk/glue that works. will cut out pieces to fit the mold, then glue. ordered stuff today, but may be a couple weeks before i can get to it, but will keep you posted.

wish me luck!

monet

donniej

Reaction score
Could you please provide us with the specific details of what this caulk is? A manufacturer and part number or name would be great.
Thank you.

cdwinsby

Reaction score
Ian is referring to the silicon caulking used to seal the top edges of bathtubs, sinks etc. It is produced by a multitude of manufacturers and is available at hardware stores.

spotts71

Reaction score
IanT said:
I think what you should do is buy some silicone in the tube, take one of those hard-ish plastic squeegee type things and then you can just squirt it and level it out like you were icing a cake, nice and even and thin layered...Ive seen a tutorial online somewhere so I know it does work and it seems to make it much easier to take the soap out of the molds!
bu any chance have you remembered where the tutorial was. I would be very interested in this. I have some wood molds that are a real pain to line. Any more info would be great.
Thanks

pinkduchon

Reaction score
OMG! Monet I was just on line before entering the forum looking for the same thing! I figure there are silicone linings that soap mold companies make and that I should be able to figure this out. I am hoping this will give me squarer corners because when I line them, I tend to get rounded edges.