Lining a wood mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vjbakke

Reaction score
My hubby made me a wood mold! The first time I lined and used it I must not have done the best job, some of the soap got onto the wood. What is the easiest way to get them lined? Is there anything you can do with a wood mold so you don;t have to line it every time? Just wondering.

Thanks!

There are videos on youtube of people lining wooden molds with freezer paper, they are much better at it then me.

I've cut up those thin cutting boards, taped them together and line my molds as well as trying it with coroplastic (at home depot). So I've got those in my mold (I leave them in all the time to make my molds smaller), and I've used them without lining, BUT I find it a pain, the sides stick sometimes, and maybe its because I try and unmold too soon, could be my recipe...who knows, but I've gone back to lining the liners with freezer paper.

Also, the coroplastic has a ribbed pattern on it and it shows up on my bars, which im not a super fan of.

And all my wooden molds have soap stains on them, from where the soap touched at one point....its the sign of a well used mold, haha

I think Im going to finally drop the money and get molds from SilverMoon or SoapHutch!!

I double line my mold. That is I cover all the parts of my wooden mold with freezer paper and tape everything down securely. Then I do a regular lining which will come in contact with the soap. This second lining comes out with the block of soap and then I simply wipe down the base lining and reline once again. The base liner protects my wood mold. I change the base liner after 3 or 4 batches, depending on how messy they were and how strong the scent.
And yes I line my mold every time for every batch. I like to take my time and dream about the soap I am fixing to make while I line!
Carolyn

My go-to liner for my collapsable wooden molds is heat-resistant mylar that I cut to custom fit each side of my molds like a glove. Once cut, you won't ever need to make new ones for years. I'm still using the same liners that I cut out 3 years ago or so, and they are still going strong. When I go to soap, I just lightly smear mineral oil on the sides that will be touching my soap (for a nice easy release later- just peels right off), and I use vaseline on the backsides of the liners so that they stay seated in place, flush againsts the wood until I unmold. Just wash the liners with warm water when done and pat dry.

A new 'fun/decorative' liner that I cut-to-fit and recently started using from time to time (in my collapsable wood molds) is one of those Wilton decorative fondant impression mats made out of silicone:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Fondant-Im ... 345&sr=8-1.

Just measure and cut it to fit, and use a dab of vaseline to stick them to the sides of your mold. No mineral oil or any other kind of releasing agent is needed with the fondant mat liners. They just peel right off like buttah and leave a beautiful decorative edge to your soap. They also last seemingly forever. I'm still using the same ones I cut out over last summer. Wash with warm water when done and pat dry.

IrishLass :)

Last edited by a moderator:
IrishLass - what does the mylar look like? Does it come in sheets? I need to do this. My funky foam liners are falling apart after very little use.

yesterday I saw the mylar in the quilting department at Joann Fabrics...I was going to buy it but wasnt sure it was the right kind. It was about 11"X 17". I did order the silicone mats that Wilton makes (from Amazon) and Im going to line my mold with it and test it out. If it works I am going to make my own molds this way.

I will pick up some mylar and test it out as well...I do believe its cheaper too!

Thanks Irishlass for posting the link, now I am sure what to get!

Thanks! How do you get it to hold the shape? Tape, glue, nothing? I wish there was a video or pic tutorial of this liner. I am a visual person so describing it doesn't work so well with me. Would this be something you could find at jo- anns? in the quilting dept?

Thank so much!

Latest posts

Back