I'm convinced that the reason I love making soap so much is..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unmolding and cutting soap is the best feeling in the world. I admire each bar separately and then place them to cure in some visible place. It allows me to look at it and smell it every time I pass by curing rack. I had many creative hobbies before, but soap making is like magic. You can never know for sure how it's going to turn out. It has will of its own, like cats :)

I watched soapmaking videos before trying my first batch of soap. For some really strange reason the sound of them stirring the soap with a stick blender or spoon made my stomach do flip flops. I think it was the excitement that I would be making my own batch soon. It's stayed with me and I still have butterflies making soap. It's the one sound I really associate with making soap!

To me, it's all about the magic...every moment I add lye solution to my oils and see this really cool reaction take place and the gradual(sometimes not gradual at all!)metamorphosis into soap it elicits the same feeling in me as watching a seed sprout...in both cases I know what's going on...particularly in the case of the seed...but all my life this fascinated me...and the soap making process is proving to be no different...MAGIC!

I CPOP almost all of my soap, so no matter what time of day I soap, I cut the following morning. Morning, because it's just not possible to wait until later in the day! And like Jstar and Mommy, when I wake up in the morning, and realize that I have soap waiting to be cut, it feels like Christmas morning when you were a kid, and I've been known to cut soap before even putting on the coffee!!!

drinking-coffee-smiley.gif

Cutting is very popular in this house. My husband has been known to hang about a loaf of soap saying things like "I think its ready", "don't you think its ready?"
Sometimes when Im feeling generous Ill let him cut a whole loaf himself :) Im such a good wife!

@Navigator I love that Emotiocon! Is that the right word for it? My family has an unwritten rule, Don't talk to Mom until she has had her morning coffee. The never got over the fact that I killed my firstborn for doing so. lol
@Seawolfe-My hubby is like your's. He really is not interested in soapmaking but he does want to cut the loaf or slab. He is very precise about it. I will admit I am a horrible soap cutter, they start out at 1 inch on the top but the bottom may be 3 inches wide!:Kitten Love:

People who don't make soap can never understand what it is about cutting into a new loaf that is so exciting. The thing is, you never really know what you've got, until you cut it. So when you do, and it's all good, there's just that sigh of relief.......yesssssss!

I love the whole process except the dishes.

Well for me this is also the only thing that I don't like because it means that the great experience of soapmaking has come to an end. But a few days ago I read a great tip on a fb soap group that I will give it a try.

Don't clean the soap butter from your soap dishes just after you finish. Leave them in a corner safely and wash them the next day only with water as the stuck Butter on the containers will be transformed into soap!

Back