I'm convinced that the reason I love making soap so much is..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love this thread! Ok so we're all crazy but we're all crazy together!!!

Yep to cutting and the part about feeling like Xmas morning!!

The best part of soapmaking? Besides the way a good FO will just kinda "slide" through the whole house, I think the best part of soapmaking is the time from when you make the lye water til when you start stick blending. I have designated that time as "Henny Penny" time because no one wants to be around the kitchen, let alone help with the soapmaking, during that time.

I sometimes find myself milking the clock before adding the lye water to the oils so that I can enjoy a little more "me" time. It's a wonderful feeling. Drink a cup of coffee, read the newspaper ... so peaceful.

I also enjoy the time when the soap is in the mold, insulated, and you have to keep yourself from lifting up the towel/blanket and peeking. It's like being a little kid again and trying soooo hard not to shake the packages under the Christmas tree.

I love the goggles and gloves on mad scientist mode of weighing out ingredients and getting to trace.

ME TOO! My BFF now texts me and asks what "the mad scientist" is up to. I'm tempted to buy some beakers and put dry ice and colored water in them when I'm making soap to give it a bit more ambiance.

I often go in my spare bedroom where I keep my curing soap and sit and stare at them like Dorian Gray staring at his portrait! There is something magical about soapmaking. That is one of the reasons I am afraid to sell. Then it would be a job and I could not do it just when I felt like it.

I often go in my spare bedroom where I keep my curing soap and sit and stare at them like Dorian Gray staring at his portrait!
OMG, me too. I just look at my babies, pick them up and sniff them, admire them and try to ignore the ugly messes ready for the rebatch/felting pile. I wish all my rooms were lined with books and soaps

I often go in my spare bedroom where I keep my curing soap and sit and stare at them like Dorian Gray staring at his portrait! There is something magical about soapmaking. That is one of the reasons I am afraid to sell. Then it would be a job and I could not do it just when I felt like it.
I do not find selling soap a job. Since I love making soap I really need to sell, after all how much soap can 2 people use in a year. It is so satisfying to have people purchase something you make, then come back for more and tell you it is awesome. After several yrs of making soap I still get excited when I cut it to see what is inside, it reminds me of sawing a geode in half. Even though I sell I still make soap pretty much when I want to, if I do not feel like it I do not make it. That is the pleasure of being old and retired...:p

I know what you mean. I make about 2 or 3 batches of soap a week. I have enough for my DH to last a lifetime and my family is stocked as well. I feel like I need to sell to support my habit! I sound like a drug dealer, lol. I have been thinking about selling for the past couple of months.

I know what you mean. I make about 2 or 3 batches of soap a week. I have enough for my DH to last a lifetime and my family is stocked as well. I feel like I need to sell to support my habit! I sound like a drug dealer, lol. I have been thinking about selling for the past couple of months.
Selling is great as long as you do not live in So Cal. :grin:

I like to watch:twisted:

The chemistry of it excites my nerdy side. But I love seeing the changes everything goes through.

In fact I like looking at my soap curing so much, I have pictures of it on my phone.

I've tried sharing my excitement with others but they just don't get it.:crazy:

I've tried sharing my excitement with others but they just don't get it.:crazy:[/QUOTE]

Yes, talking about soaps is like talking about your dogs or your kids, best done to yourself or a partner in crime, you run the risk of glazed eyes pretty quickly!

Lately my soap-loving reason is texture. I have been on a milk soap making spree, am not swirling or even coloring sometimes, and just digging the difference in feeling, texture, creaminess, etc. in my soapies between milks and oil tweaks.

Last edited:
I actually wake up early in the morning thinking "can I cut my soap yet?", then hop out of bed and go check! It's like Christmas every time I get to unmold and cut to see how it looks on the inside, especially if I've used colors and a design. :clap:

When I start making soap or anything I get very focused. My better half snaps me out of it when he starts singing, " four drops of essence of terra. . . " ( definitely dating ourselves!)

Latest posts

Back