"I will PAY you to teach me!"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with TEG. The forum is for sharing and helping others. I find those that just pop in once in a blue moon with cocky, arrogant, non-helpful responses really need to just stay away as they bring nothing positive to the forum.

I feel those are the folks that really have nothing much to offer.

It's sad that many just come here for their own agenda and then disappear into the smoke until it suits them to come back. I see folks just come here to get answers and not provide anything positive to the forum more than I would like to.

Fortunately there are way more folks that are kind and helpful and share their vast amount of knowledge. And I personally think this is one of the best ones out there.

I also agree with the above, there is no need to be aggressive in your answer, seeing you have been a member for 4 yrs, only posted twice in 2011, 10 posts in 13,14 and the last 6 in the last few days, I don't consider that contributing to the forum whatsoever.

Helping someone learn the basics of making is not exploitation. All of us in here have our much loved formulas/recipes but most of us could duplicate any soap if we have a bar and a proper ingredient list, less the fragrance. It is much kinder to just say, sorry I do not have time to teach, or some other gracious way to bow out. I have a customer that was so excited to tell me he learned to make soap one day from a friend. I started selling to him when he was at City of Hope with his terminal son. He needed a distraction and his friend provided it, and I also sent him a few recipes, including the one he likes so well. BTW 2 yrs later he still piddles with soap and still purchases mine. At the end of the day Soap is Soap and yours is no more special than anyone else can make. Some people just want something for free, but many just want some help

In regards to the idea that our recipes are magically unique and no on could duplicate them -I wholly heartedly agree that they aren't. It's one thing to not want to share, it's another to believe someone else already hasn't done it, or couldn't duplicate it with an ingredient list - and probably to about 90% accuracy if not more. I've never been brave enough to share that opinion because there are so many here who guard their recipes ( though most seem to more out of "paternal" pride more than fear of exploitation)

And if anyone ever needs an idea for a challenge/swap...:think:

Last edited:
I find this an interesting topic, and have an applicable situation.

A friend of the family wants me to host a "soap making party" for her and some of her neighbors. She knows I'm not a master soaper, but I figured I could share some basics and walk them through the safety stuff, the steps, and making their first batch of soap. This friend brought up the subject of payment.

I have also been looking for fundraising options for First Descents - it's an amazing organization that provides outdoor adventures like kayaking, rock-climbing, surfing, etc, to young adults dealing with cancer.

So... Since both I and my friend know I'm not a master soaper, and I would just be showing them the basics, do you guys think it should be kosher to have a suggested donation toward First Descents for those who participate, especially since I'll be supplying materials?

Or since I'm still fairly "new" to soaping (first batch being ~10 years ago), would it still be a little too questionable for people to "pay" to have me walk them through a batch?

My gut says it would be ok - like if I were charging a material fee. And since it would be "suggested donation" of like $10-$20 (and this would not be considered a lot of money for these potential participants), and I wouldn't be making any profit from the situation.
But perhaps you folks with more experience and wisdom would feel differently?

I find this an interesting topic, and have an applicable situation.

A friend of the family wants me to host a "soap making party" for her and some of her neighbors. She knows I'm not a master soaper, but I figured I could share some basics and walk them through the safety stuff, the steps, and making their first batch of soap. This friend brought up the subject of payment.

The thing I'd want to know ahead of time is.. would all the attendees be expecting to make soap for themselves at the party? If it's a soap making party, I'd expect to come home with a small batch. Or is it a soap making demo?

They're two very different things.

Hi Misschief,

I haven't committed to anything yet, so I haven't hammered out the details yet with said friend.
I was also thinking of picking up some melt-and-pour (and confirming I know how to use it first) to let them play with making pretties, in case that's their goal.
But otherwise, I don't have anything planned at this stage. I am, of course, always open to suggestions! :)

Personally, I'm not a fan of the "suggested donation". I'd just flat out say there's a fee of (for example) $20, and 50% of that fee goes to First Descents. And tell people what they get for their fee. I'd get some of those clamshell molds so people can take home a bar of the soap they made, or if you aren't comfortable with that, do a soap making demo and also a lip balm or lotion demo and let them take that home. Perhaps you could figure out what it would cost to mail out a bar of soap to each person (I think last time I mailed somebody a bar of soap it was about $1.50 postage) and include that cost in your fee. So you could mail the soap when it was ready to be used.

I'm actually thinking of hosting that type of activity to raise money for a dog rescue organization I'm involved with.

The beauty of this forum is that people who want to share and help are able to do so in a place that allows newbies to get many different opinions.

If people choose not to share, that is their right. If they want to charge $1200 for a weekend class, that is their right. It is completely up to the individual.

"I will PAY you to teach me!"

Another important aspect of this forum is that people can say their opinions, whether the person in question is interested in it or not. Hearing what you don't want to hear is not something that can be complained about - this isn't a tumblr safe space. Attacking people for giving their opinions, however, is not on.

Reel it in, lads and lasses, or people will end up on the naughty step

Craig. Chairman of the board

Last edited:
lenarenee: As I stated previously, I am not interested in your opinion or YOUR OWN interpretation of the definition of exploitation and your narcissistic, oh so lengthly, description of how wonderfully generous you are

I simply stated how I handle inconsiderate people who want to learn from me for free and you turned it into something personal, ranting on and on describing my price as "arrogant". A price has no feeling attached to it. It is what it is; take it or leave it.

And, contrary to YOUR opinion, my soap is so special; no one can duplicate it.

I'm done with your ignorance!

Margo Conklin, CEO

Well....bless your heart.

Does the naughty step have cookies? And will the recipe for said cookies be shared?

I am one of those that loves to share hobbies. If a friend asked to learn to make soap, I'd invite them over for a demo and send them home with information. Friends want to knit? I'll let them try their hand at it, and send them home with cheap needles and cotton for a dishcloth. Want to spin fiber? I'll loan you a drop spindle and push some easy drafting fiber at you. Is my opinion the only one? No, but it's how I prefer to roll.

Does the naughty step have cookies? And will the recipe for said cookies be shared?

I am one of those that loves to share hobbies. If a friend asked to learn to make soap, I'd invite them over for a demo and send them home with information. Friends want to knit? I'll let them try their hand at it, and send them home with cheap needles and cotton for a dishcloth. Want to spin fiber? I'll loan you a drop spindle and push some easy drafting fiber at you. Is my opinion the only one? No, but it's how I prefer to roll.

I would have to go to an app and look for my chocolate chip cookie recipe. it's basic and does not utilize instant pudding (nothing against instant pudding).

I would gladly show a really good friend or relative how to make soap. However, due to the caustic nature of lye, I would be very hesitant to teach just anyone.

I agree. I thought that if I told an adult, "This stuff will give you a severe chemical burn, so don't touch it!" They would listen. Then I was making soap with a friend, a bit of lye spilled, and as I'm heading towards it with a paper towel to clean it up, she uses her fingernail to scoop it up! She had lye crystals UNDER HER FINGERNAIL. I made her hold her hand under the faucet for a good 5 minutes.

I would gladly show a really good friend or relative how to make soap. However, due to the caustic nature of lye, I would be very hesitant to teach just anyone.

I am the same way.....I'm very glad to show others how it's done, but only those that I know can be trusted to respect the lye.

IrishLass :)

I agree. I thought that if I told an adult, "This stuff will give you a severe chemical burn, so don't touch it!" They would listen. Then I was making soap with a friend, a bit of lye spilled, and as I'm heading towards it with a paper towel to clean it up, she uses her fingernail to scoop it up! She had lye crystals UNDER HER FINGERNAIL. I made her hold her hand under the faucet for a good 5 minutes.

I trust she learned her lesson?

Exactly. I would happily share and help someone else learn if they're really interested in learning. But I've got no interest in going through the time and trouble to show someone who is just looking for a shortcut to understand just enough to be able to crank out soap to sell. There's way to many things that a responsible seller needs to truly understand and those cannot be taught in a couple of short soaping sessions.

If any of my friends was truly interested in learning, I would be thrilled to have a local soaping buddy. Unfortunately the few who have expressed interest were people who were just seeing dollar signs because they see a quick way to make a buck.

Now, to be fair, it can indeed be a quick way to make a buck. A quick trip to get supplies. An hour of time. A simple recipe, simple swirls, toss in some FO, and you've got soap. Let it sit until it's hard enough to handle without squishing, cut it, package, and sell. Yep, anyone can make soap and sell it.

But.... does that mean they *should* be selling soap? Absolutely not. Just because they know how to manufacture bars of soap doesn't mean they have a true understanding of what the heck they're doing, how it can impact the user, and what can go wrong with the soap down the road.

A responsible soap maker is an *artisan who crafts* soap - not a *manufacturer who makes soap*.

I'll happily share my time and knowledge (what I've accumulated anyway) with anyone interested in learning to craft soap. I have no interest in sharing my time or knowledge with someone only interested in manufacturing soap.

Latest posts

Back