"I will PAY you to teach me!"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been struggling with this question for several weeks. My company (meaning my regular engineering job unsoap related) has Brown Bag lunches - every few weeks someone comes in to speak about a topic during a lunch hour. The BB lunches are quite popular and have a good number of employees attend (usually in the 30-50% range). The lady who organizes them asked me to do one on soapmaking, and I've hemmed and hawed over giving her a yes or no. I don't think I could give enough good info about soapmaking in just one hour. If I decided to do it, how would I decide what's important and what isn't to fit into that hour? I can't commit to just showing up and making soap.

You absolutely can give enough good info in an hour- depending on your goal. Can anyone make a master soaper in an hour? No. Can you educate enough to possibly get others interested? Sure.

Are you interested in sharing your hobby with your co-workers? Then do the BB lunch. You don't even need to do a demonstration. You could show a Soaping 101 video, and share why you love soaping and give resource info on how to start learning safely. ( maybe have two BBs, having the demonstration second.)

I can so relate to this because I love to talk soap but feel like most of my friends and co-workers just don't get it. I do have one friend that likes to bake as much as I do . . . she's the only one who ever expressed any serious interest in learning how to soap. After watching me make a few batches and seeing how similar the process is to baking (weight vs volume measurements, consistency of dough/batter, temps are important esp when working with yeast) she was off and running with the resources I provided (youtube videos, soapcalc and SMF). She's been soaping on her own for well over a year now so I think it's safe to say she's hooked.

I guess if I was approached to give a BB lunch on soaping I would try to keep things intro-level but interesting. I like the idea of a PowerPoint presentation basically a 'show and tell' of your soapmaking journey. You could include a short video of the process (maybe examples of M&P vs CP vs HP). Explain the basic chemistry behind making soap, necessary ingredients, precautions handling lye, etc.

I would also use the opportunity to show off some of my soap and I'm talking batches that I'm super-proud of and the spectacular fails. I learned from both and think that's worth sharing. Plus it might make some folks reconsider the idea of 'I can make soap and open an Etsy shop after my 2nd successful batch!'. I guess I'm a soap-nerd and want to share that with others but I also want/expect them to be as nerdy as I am about it.

The education of good soaping "chef" does not need to start by memorizing all of the
facts before participating in an actual soaping process. We all learn in different ways. Many
people will learn better by experiencing the process first because this provides a platform to build from; an observation from which questions can begin to form. Some people need the visual first.

Exactly! Which brings us to the goal of the person asking the question. Do they want you to teach them it all or just give them a visual start on their journey? If the former, they have wildly unrealistic expectations.

You cannot teach someone to become a chef by having them come and cook with you for an hour or so, but you can teach them how to make a certain dish.

You can't teach someone 'soaping' in an afternoon, but you can teach them how to make a soap.

Good point about the distinction between soaping and just making soap! But I'm still overwhelmed with just the basic info. Its not like subbing oregano for basil. There's a lot of basic info to put into people's heads in just an hour. Still thinking about it and my personal comfort level.

Exactly! Which brings us to the goal of the person asking the question. Do they want you to teach them it all or just give them a visual start on their journey? If the former, they have wildly unrealistic expectations.

You cannot teach someone to become a chef by having them come and cook with you for an hour or so, but you can teach them how to make a certain dish.

You can't teach someone 'soaping' in an afternoon, but you can teach them how to make a soap.

Yup, and for those people with the "wildly unrealistic expectations" - hopefully after viewing a soap making demonstration complete with all the geeky looking but necessary safety gear - a little respect will form!

Yes, I've had a few requests, however, I've been making soap for 20 years and I'm not about to give all my trade secrets to anyone OR share my recipes either!
What I tell people who ask me to teach them how to make soap is that the fee is $1200.00 for a 3-day course and that stops them in their tracks

Happy soaper,

Margo

And what would $1200 get me? I truly am interested in knowing what one might get for $1200 if you're not willing to share any trade secrets or recipes?

To be honest, and please don't take this the wrong way, if you were to say something like that to me, I'd think you were arrogant and it would put me off soap making, even if I was interested (if I didn't know where or how to find information online). I'd certainly never talk to you or buy your products again.

If a person were truly interested and didn't know where to start, an afternoon spent being shown the basics (safety concerns, ingredients required, and a basic recipe with proper technique) would be immense, a starting off point. Honestly, I think that those of us who have knowledge, whether it's soap making, sewing, knitting, cooking, baking... it doesn't matter what, have a responsibility to those around us to share our knowledge, especially with those who are truly interested in learning. We don't have to teach them everything we know (that would take more than $1200 and a three day course because it's taken us more than $1200 and three days to gain that knowledge) but we can show them, inspire them, get them interested in learning more. It will very quickly become evident who is truly interested and who isn't.

I'm a knitter; I've been knitting since I was seven years old. I've worked in a yarn shop and taught people to knit. Of the hundreds of people who took knitting classes through that shop, only a handful have gone on to become knitters. There were some who only signed up for classes because they thought it was something easy to learn, that they could use to make Christmas gifts for their friends or sell at an upcoming market. When they learned what was involved and that it takes a lot of practice and time to become good enough to sell their products, they gave up. Do you really think it would be any different with any other skill?

BTW, the John Campbell Folk School in North Carolina offers soapmaking classes. The offer both weekend classes (Friday evening to Sunday afternoon) and week-long classes (Sunday afternoon to Friday afternoon).

This weekend:
Raw Milk, Herbal Tea & Wine...to Soap and More!
Date: Friday, Nov 20 - Sunday, Nov 22, 2015
Subject: Soap Making
Instructor: Pam Custer Share:

Have fun crafting your own all-natural bath and body-care products, personalized with a variety of essential oils and natural additives. Learn the techniques necessary to produce luxurious, skin-nourishing soaps with farm-fresh raw milk, then experiment with other liquid bases such as herbal tea and even wine! Also, prepare to be amazed by the array of other handmade toiletries you can create - oral-care products, body sprays and butters, a facial kit, and more. Beginners welcome.

Prior to registering, please read our General Information and Policies.

Tuition: $334.00
My mom and aunt are there this week. Mom is taking a wood-turning class and my aunt is taking a chair-caning class. I took a weekend broom making class and it was a BLAST! It's camp for grown-ups.
The place is gorgeous - every toilet paper holder is a work of art. There is beautiful ironwork and wood work all over the place. You can choose to stay on campus and eat in the dining hall, or you can choose to stay at a nearby hotel (which is cheaper but not as fun).

BTW, the John Campbell Folk School in North Carolina offers soapmaking classes. The offer both weekend classes (Friday evening to Sunday afternoon) and week-long classes (Sunday afternoon to Friday afternoon).

This weekend:
Raw Milk, Herbal Tea & Wine...to Soap and More!
Date: Friday, Nov 20 - Sunday, Nov 22, 2015
Subject: Soap Making
Instructor: Pam Custer Share:

Have fun crafting your own all-natural bath and body-care products, personalized with a variety of essential oils and natural additives. Learn the techniques necessary to produce luxurious, skin-nourishing soaps with farm-fresh raw milk, then experiment with other liquid bases such as herbal tea and even wine! Also, prepare to be amazed by the array of other handmade toiletries you can create - oral-care products, body sprays and butters, a facial kit, and more. Beginners welcome.

Prior to registering, please read our General Information and Policies.

Tuition: $334.00
My mom and aunt are there this week. Mom is taking a wood-turning class and my aunt is taking a chair-caning class. I took a weekend broom making class and it was a BLAST! It's camp for grown-ups.
The place is gorgeous - every toilet paper holder is a work of art. There is beautiful ironwork and wood work all over the place. You can choose to stay on campus and eat in the dining hall, or you can choose to stay at a nearby hotel (which is cheaper but not as fun).

I must be the only one cringing at using wine for soaping... maybe the wine I don't like could be used but that takes actually finding one I don't like. :mrgreen:

I really don't care what your opinion is about my method of dealing with people who have absolute no concern about the labor and research that went into my formulations and who just want something for free.

I will not be exploited

I really don't care what your opinion is about my method of dealing with people who have absolute no concern about the labor and research that went into my formulations and who just want something for free.

I will not be exploited

I'm still curious about what $1200 and three days would buy me. And what of those who would seriously like a push in the right direction but don't know where or how to get started? Who just need to be shown the basics? Who aren't interested in your "trade secrets" or proprietary recipes, just in how to get started down that same road?

I will not be exploited

Oddly enough, that's one big reason for people coming here - some just want to take with no effort at all, some take with some work at understanding it all but most members give and take openly.

I agree with TEG. The forum is for sharing and helping others. I find those that just pop in once in a blue moon with cocky, arrogant, non-helpful responses really need to just stay away as they bring nothing positive to the forum.

I feel those are the folks that really have nothing much to offer.

It's sad that many just come here for their own agenda and then disappear into the smoke until it suits them to come back. I see folks just come here to get answers and not provide anything positive to the forum more than I would like to.

Fortunately there are way more folks that are kind and helpful and share their vast amount of knowledge. And I personally think this is one of the best ones out there.

Yep I agree with you both. This place is about educating, sharing, and fostering a sense of artisan community. Even us noobs do our best to offer up what we can to others.

This is not the place for drive by pontificating - if you're not interested in investing in the community as a whole through sharing experience and knowledge, then why be here at all?

Last edited:

I will not be exploited
Helping someone learn the basics of making is not exploitation. All of us in here have our much loved formulas/recipes but most of us could duplicate any soap if we have a bar and a proper ingredient list, less the fragrance. It is much kinder to just say, sorry I do not have time to teach, or some other gracious way to bow out. I have a customer that was so excited to tell me he learned to make soap one day from a friend. I started selling to him when he was at City of Hope with his terminal son. He needed a distraction and his friend provided it, and I also sent him a few recipes, including the one he likes so well. BTW 2 yrs later he still piddles with soap and still purchases mine. At the end of the day Soap is Soap and yours is no more special than anyone else can make. Some people just want something for free, but many just want some help

I agree with TEG. The forum is for sharing and helping others. I find those that just pop in once in a blue moon with cocky, arrogant, non-helpful responses really need to just stay away as they bring nothing positive to the forum.

I feel those are the folks that really have nothing much to offer.

It's sad that many just come here for their own agenda and then disappear into the smoke until it suits them to come back. I see folks just come here to get answers and not provide anything positive to the forum more than I would like to.

Fortunately there are way more folks that are kind and helpful and share their vast amount of knowledge. And I personally think this is one of the best ones out there.
YEP! :)

Back