Teaching classes.....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinxHowell

Reaction score
I have recently been invited to teach CP soap making at a local artist co-op. I am extremly excited (and nervous... and honored...) to take advantage of this opportunity. Does anyone else teach in-person classes? What is your experience with this? How much do you charge? Is liabilty insurance an absolutle must? All feedback is greatly appreciated.
I've been soaping for about three years and consider myself well versed, but still always learning.

Have fun, but note :

Product liability or general business liability (in the US) won't protect you if someone harms themselves or others during a course or following your instructions later. Even if they misunderstood you.

The responsibility and liability come back to you (and not just the venue you teach at).

You'll need professional liability insurance for that.

Check with your insurer to be sure you're covered.

Have fun, but note :

Product liability or general business liability (in the US) won't protect you if someone harms themselves or others during a course or following your instructions later. Even if they misunderstood you.

The responsibility and liability come back to you (and not just the venue you teach at).

You'll need professional liability insurance for that.

Check with your insurer to be sure you're covered.
Excellent advice, thank you. I have already been chatting with my agent and she is working up an estimate for me. I will email her and ask her about professional liability as well

I'm not sure how all your insurance works over there (we don't have a suing culture in NZ) but one thing I would want if I had to fork out for additional insurance is to make sure my costs of that are well and truly covered. When you say 'artists co-op' I'm thinking sharing of knowledge with little profit, and that's all well and good, but don't be out of pocket because you have to take out an expensive insurance policy - make sure you pass those costs on!

I have recently been invited to teach CP soap making at a local artist co-op.
I'm with @KiwiMoose on this. If by "teaching", you mean "demonstrating" then I wouldn't bother with insurance. And, since it's an artist co-op, I wouldn't charge for a demo.

If you're serious about teaching soapmaking, It's a good way to support the addiction!!! I know of one soaper here in the Denver area who put her 2 boys through college on her earnings from teaching and wholesale accounts. She charges $350 a class. But she has tons of experience and earned her Master Certification from Handcrafted Soap & Cosmetics Guild a long time ago. They offer the least expensive insurance too.

Before she started teaching and wholesaling, she gave demos to 2-3 dozen local soapers at a monthly gathering at a local soap supply company (now defunct). Ah, those were the days.

I would still check with your insurer even you're calling it a demonstration. If you're showing how to do something, that's teaching, whether or not it's for pay.

I'm not sure how all your insurance works over there (we don't have a suing culture in NZ) but one thing I would want if I had to fork out for additional insurance is to make sure my costs of that are well and truly covered. When you say 'artists co-op' I'm thinking sharing of knowledge with little profit, and that's all well and good, but don't be out of pocket because you have to take out an expensive insurance policy - make sure you pass those costs on!
This is a conceptual retail project in a very upscale area, so I will definitely be able to make my money back after a few sessions
Thanks for the advice

FWIW, I've done a couple of in-home 'teach ins' to friends. For me, personally, I found it impossible to do my own batch while supervising the others making their batch. I learned to do my own by myself, and then watch them. Good luck!
That's exactly what I was thinking. If I do the classes, I will do my own batch first, to demonstrate. Then help them with theirs. Great idea!

Hi, I’ve taught soapmaking almost 30 years. The classes last 3 hours and the students take home a 2 pound batch in a deep dish plastic food container. They get a 20 page booklet that I update often and print out at Office Depot a few days before the class.
Students measure out their fats at work stations and melt in a small microwave but I provide a pre mixed 1:2 lye solution. I do demonstrate making a small lye solution so they can see how to do it and see how hot the solution gets.
I was lucky to have Rustic Escentuals sponsor my classes, providing venue, scents, and colorants. Since they were bought out and moved, the new folks aren’t interested.
This is basically the outline of the class.
A little soap chemistry and safety
A little soap math and intro to soapcalc
Describing what they are about to do using booklet
Showing what they are about to do, modeling proper procedures
Letting them get up and do it while I and a helper supervise and assist.
Everybody takes home their beach towel wrapped container of saponifying soap batter to cut into bars the next day. They also get a few bars of my soap to use while theirs cures. Then they get in a Fb group I make for the class to discuss the results and share pics.
I charge enough to cover my expenses and clear $100 for each student. I will cancel a class if I don’t get a minimum number of sign ups and deposits by the deadline.
A demonstration is a different story. I’ll demonstrate making a 2 pound batch for any number of people, give them one recipe, and a small hotel sized bar of unscented soap.
I hope this helps you decide how you want proceed.

I was lucky to have Rustic Escentuals sponsor my classes, providing venue, scents, and colorants.
Oh my. Those were the days, weren't they, Carol. How times have changed.

Thank You.gif
Thanks for sharing a terrific outline for teaching soap making. You make it sound easy! :nodding:

Hi, I’ve taught soapmaking almost 30 years. The classes last 3 hours and the students take home a 2 pound batch in a deep dish plastic food container. They get a 20 page booklet that I update often and print out at Office Depot a few days before the class.
Students measure out their fats at work stations and melt in a small microwave but I provide a pre mixed 1:2 lye solution. I do demonstrate making a small lye solution so they can see how to do it and see how hot the solution gets.
I was lucky to have Rustic Escentuals sponsor my classes, providing venue, scents, and colorants. Since they were bought out and moved, the new folks aren’t interested.
This is basically the outline of the class.
A little soap chemistry and safety
A little soap math and intro to soapcalc
Describing what they are about to do using booklet
Showing what they are about to do, modeling proper procedures
Letting them get up and do it while I and a helper supervise and assist.
Everybody takes home their beach towel wrapped container of saponifying soap batter to cut into bars the next day. They also get a few bars of my soap to use while theirs cures. Then they get in a Fb group I make for the class to discuss the results and share pics.
I charge enough to cover my expenses and clear $100 for each student. I will cancel a class if I don’t get a minimum number of sign ups and deposits by the deadline.
A demonstration is a different story. I’ll demonstrate making a 2 pound batch for any number of people, give them one recipe, and a small hotel sized bar of unscented soap.
I hope this helps you decide how you want proceed.
Great tips, thanks so much!

No, we already have lots of competition and you can find all the info for free on the net.
Man, I thought this a forum. "a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged"
You may consider joining another group if that is how you feel about an information exchange. Not to mention, I am not local to your area so I am not sure how it would be competition to you. Mom used to say "if you don't have anything nice to say, better to not say anything at all".

@BinxHowell, I think @MelissaG was answering your question posed in your original post when you asked if anyone else taught classes. My take was that she didn’t think it worthwhile for herself when so much info is available online. I took it that she was engaging with you and answering your question. I have been participating on the forum longer and have never seen Melissa be anything other than kind.

@BinxHowell, I think @MelissaG was answering your question posed in your original post when you asked if anyone else taught classes. My take was that she didn’t think it worthwhile for herself when so much info is available online. I took it that she was engaging with you and answering your question. I have been participating on the forum longer and have never seen Melissa be anything other than kind.
Thank you so much. That's exactly what I meant. I hadn't replied because I don't shy away from confrontation and I like it here. I just decided not to say anything at all.

I have recently been invited to teach CP soap making at a local artist co-op. I am extremly excited (and nervous... and honored...) to take advantage of this opportunity. Does anyone else teach in-person classes? What is your experience with this? How much do you charge? Is liabilty insurance an absolutle must? All feedback is greatly appreciated.
I've been soaping for about three years and consider myself well versed, but still always learning.
Many of the raw materials I buy have a disclaimer stating that they are not responsible for anything I create with their products.

So I'm thinking a Contract that clearly covers or absolves you from any issues or harm they cause to themselves and others should be signed before they take the class. I'm only guessing here but it sure sounds right. 😄🤗

1part lye, 2 parts water. a 33.3% solution
Thank you for the clarification @cjisler. In the soap calculator and here on SMF the first number is water, the second is lye. A 33% lye solution is usually expressed as 2:1, or two parts water to one part sodium hydroxide. I’m hoping newer soap makers will always check and double check lye numbers, especially when exploring new recipe sources.

Latest posts

Back