"I will PAY you to teach me!"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Met a lady at Tgiving yesterday who is interested in making soap, lotion, etc. I said I'd love to show her how. Then she starts talking about natural scents and colors...and Young Living essential oils. *sigh*

NOW is way better, IMO b/c while the oils are pricey compared to ordering larger quantities online, their price for 1 oz isn't THAT far off from, say Brambleberry. also, NOW isn't a MLM and doesn't have a MLM style cult touting its benefits.

Thanks. I haven't bucked up on too many companies like that.

Somebody posted a tragic story on Brambleberry's forum about their family member whose wife was into either YL or doTerra. The guy was diagnosed with cancer and the wife convinced him not to do treatment except for EOs. So this horrible malignant cancer was causing open wounds on his body and she's pouring essential oils all over them, insisting it's "drawing out the toxins." The man died in agony.

If people decide that for themselves: It's their life. They should be confronted with the truth, but if they refuse to believe it, there's really not much you can do except being available in case they change their mind.

But what's always tragic is if people make these decisions for other people. One of my mother's best friends was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and instead of seeking therapy and medication, his wife pressured him into "accepting his nature" and not doing anything about it. To her, therapy was "brainwashing" and medication was poison. After his first failed suicide attempt, he fortunately got a divorce and the help he needed. From what I've heard, he's doing better now. Meanwhile, she has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (I'm not making this up, I swear) and is getting herself all the treatment that 21st century medicine has to offer. Apparently she had a change of mind.

Sorry for being offtopic, but that is one thing that drives me absolutely mad. I can't even write down how I feel when children are involved....

I agree 100%. I am learning and have learned soaping by just jumping into it. It's not enough for me to do months of research on something that has life-applicable skills; I have to learn as I'm going along. --quoting Arimara

I agree!

I originally looked into soaping because my "Master Plan" is to get land and be as self-sustaining as possible and live simply. It was not to have another hobby, but to do something for necessity. I watched a few videos, read a LOT, and almost moved on with the intent to just keep buying our soap, but then decided that was ridiculous because the whole purpose was for self-sustainment (but now definintely will be a hobby---the only way I can explain the cost to my husband!).

I was losing interest because of the not "doing", but only researching.
For me, I learn best by doing. Trial and error type girl. While I can glean the information I research and spit it back out, if I don't DO something with it, it's just data to me. It doesn't really MEAN anything to me until I start creating something, but boy! it felt special....even though my first batch didn't turn out to be what I envisioned, it was something! and since it wasn't something I was uber proud of, I wanted to keep trying, and I'm so glad I did because I enjoy it, and my outcomes are improving which is my positive reinforcement to myself. Plus, to improve, I have to learn something new, so that pushes me to research, which is what led me to you wonderful people!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back