I want to make my own launrdy detergent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that DeeAnna.

I don't think I explained myself well. I was trying to figure out how to formulate homemade laundry soap for softened water, but can't find a qualified source. I know that the company that makes Tide does not sell the same Tide formula here in California that they sell in the upper Midwest (and other places) The formula is individualized to the customer's region. The water chemistry of the region is one of the major reasons for that individualization. (that information comes from a scientist that work for Tide)

Since we have a water softener, we don't need to add that to our laundry soap. I was told that washing soda was added solely as a softener. Soft water cleans better. However, I've recently heard that it's borax that's for softening, and the washing soda is for cleaning.

So when the Borax website says Borax boosts cleaning, I want to know if it's because it softens - therefore improving cleaning, or if there's another factor that contributes to cleaning. The same for washing soda.

Wish I'd explained that better earlier.

"...Salt is a water softener..."

Not sure about that. It is true that salt (NaCl, sodium chloride) is used in water softeners, but the salt is not used directly to soften the water.

A water softener uses a special tank filled with resin that looks like tiny plastic beads. Sodium ions taken from the salt are attached to the resin. Unsoftened household water flows through the resin tank. When a "hard water" ion such as calcium or magnesium floats close to a resin bead, it is attracted to the bead and forces the sodium ion off and takes its place. The hard water ion is thus trapped on the resin and stays there. The "soft" sodium ion takes its place in the household water.

When the resin is full of hard water ions, the beads are soaked in a strong solution of salt and water. The concentrated salt solution reverses the situation -- it forces the hard water ions off the resin so the sodium ions from the brine can stick back onto the resin. The salt solution with the displaced hard water ions is washed down the drain. The regenerated and washed resin bed is put back into service softening the household water.

"...Salt is a water softener..."

Not sure about that. It is true that salt (NaCl, sodium chloride) is used in water softeners, but the salt is not used directly to soften the water.

A water softener uses a special tank filled with resin that looks like tiny plastic beads. Sodium ions taken from the salt are attached to the resin. Unsoftened household water flows through the resin tank. When a "hard water" ion such as calcium or magnesium floats close to a resin bead, it is attracted to the bead and forces the sodium ion off and takes its place. The hard water ion is thus trapped on the resin and stays there. The "soft" sodium ion takes its place in the household water.

When the resin is full of hard water ions, the beads are soaked in a strong solution of salt and water. The concentrated salt solution reverses the situation -- it forces the hard water ions off the resin so the sodium ions from the brine can stick back onto the resin. The salt solution with the displaced hard water ions is washed down the drain. The regenerated and washed resin bed is put back into service softening the household water.

Thank you! We have a lot of people on wells here with water softening systems and I have always wondered how it worked but never got around to googling it.

"...I was told that washing soda was added solely as a softener...."

It is true that soda ash/washing soda/sodium carbonate does soften water...

Na2CO3 + Mg++ --> MgCO3 (solid precipitate) + Na+
and ditto for the calcium ion Ca++

...but my understanding is that washing soda also buffers the pH in the laundry water so the pH will stay high enough for the soap to do its work best.

Washing soda also acts as a detergent itself to remove greasy dirt from fabric. It can actually saponify fats, although the process is slow and not as efficient as lye.

If you read the whole blog on LHITS, she is a retired chemist. That's was actually how I found her site because I believe I Googled DIY Laundry Detergent by Chemist. When I was looking for my recipe, I thought who better to know how to make laundry detergent than a chemist. Another site that breaks everything down by each component is http://askannamoseley.com/2013/05/the-best-homemade-laundry-detergent-and-why/. These were the two sites that I got my basic recipe from then I went on and made my editions.

FYI, for those that want to use a super lathering soap such as coconut, once you put it with the washing soda, it loses it's lather. I also found a dishwasher detergent recipe that uses Dawn dish detergent in the same way I use the liquid Tide®, by mixing it in with the washing soda and borax. There are no heavy suds produced once combined. It works great also.

I have made a batch of 0% superfat brine soap today with 50% tallow 50% CO. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1405430526.540959.jpg
I am going to trial it as laundry soap.

I use my 100% coconut 0.5% SF soap, grated. To every 2 cups by volume of grated soap I add 1 cup borax and 1 cup washing soda (NOT Baking soda). 2 Tbsp of this per wash in my front loader works great, if its a very dirty or white load Ill add a bit of oxyclean (or generic equivalent), and spots get rubbed with small bar of the soap before going in.

I think you really do need to use washing soda. I cant find it at stores here so I get hubby to buy it on Amazon with his prime account. Not even Arm and Hammer laundry detergent uses baking soda, I don't think it does much for cleaning clothes.

I use the same recipe as above, except I add a cup of Oxy Clean to it. After grating the soap I add a little washing soda to it and run it thru the blender until I have a fine powder. I've been using this recipe for years and it works great!

Last edited:
I am interested in this and would just like to ask. My mum handwashes the clothes because she doesn't like using the washing machine. I have soft water here and I would like to ask if I could just make a 0% superfat 100% coconut oil bar soap.

I know you guys add borax or washing soda when using the washing machine, but is it necessary if my mum handwashes the clothes ?

I am interested in this and would just like to ask. My mum handwashes the clothes because she doesn't like using the washing machine. I have soft water here and I would like to ask if I could just make a 0% superfat 100% coconut oil bar soap.

I know you guys add borax or washing soda when using the washing machine, but is it necessary if my mum handwashes the clothes ?

If you have soft water, it is not necessary. You do, however, need to tell her to use some vinegar in the rinse water.

If you have soft water, it is not necessary. You do, however, need to tell her to use some vinegar in the rinse water.

Thank you Susie for the information ! May I ask why is vinegar used in the rinse ??

I can't give you a scientific explanation, but your clothes will get dingy looking if you don't. Something to do with neutralizing the alkalinity of the soap. You can't neutralize soap and have it remain soap, so you put 2-4 oz vinegar in the rinse water. Easy fix.

Latest posts

Back