Dumb Dumb Moments: Zany's Faux Seawater Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@AliOop so did you mean to mix the salt and baking soda that's mixed in the smaller amount of water in the hot lye water and then dump the lye into my oils hot before it cools down. Just want to make sure I got that part right.
Yes! Just be sure to use only as much salt and baking soda as needed for each specific batch, based on the total water weight. Make sense? :)

Yes! Just be sure to use only as much salt and baking soda as needed for each specific batch, based on the total water weight. Make sense? :)
Ok it's finally in the oven right now I have to go feed my teenage son before he freaks lol when I'm done that I will tell you guys what happened lol just so happy it's in the oven finally lol😂

So here's what happened I did what @AliOop suggested I mixed my lye first at 50/50 water/lye and then used the rest of the water to mix my salt and baking soda to then add to the lye solution. So as I was mixing the 2 solutions together instead of adding it to my oils right away like Ali said to do I waited a couple min mixing it and then bam it did it again it turned into white floaty milk again so now I know it's not the lye it's the baking soda reacting in the lye. Could it be creating lye lint I don't know all I know is it's not the lye. So I strained as much of the white goo out as I could and used it anyways and poured it into my soap at about 155 F it seemed to workout nice I think my soap made a really nice batter. I made 2 layers cream and pink colors with Poppy seeds and kaolin clay with peppermint EO. I think it may have turned out nice I will find out tomorrow. Oh I also put 10% coconut oil and 5% Castor oil but next time I make it I will listen to Ali and dump the lye in asap before it gets the white slimy stuff in it. Lol I'm so happy it's done now. Thank you so much Ali.😀

So now I have to figure out what to do with all this faux sea water lye I made to day trying to figure this recipe out. Should I strain it and use it now that I know it's not the lye. Or should I figure out how to disposal it. I tried to take better photos of it. See the white at the bottom
IMG_20230630_233655.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230630_233735.jpg
    IMG_20230630_233735.jpg
    814 KB · Views: 0
So I guess the question would be, would sea water be doable with these types of formulations, and would I even want to bother? A harder bar is great, the sooner the better in my books, but I also don't wish to be breaking the wires on my various cutters.
I hear ya! As you first intimated, a bar made with Atlantic Ocean Seawater would have quite an appeal to tourists I'm guessing as well as those of use who love the ocean and all its glory! That being said, 40/60 SAT/UNSAT is borderline, IME. Without knowing the rest of the ingredients, and additives and such, your guess is as good as mine. Why not give it a go with a small 450 gram batch and see what you think?

Crossing fingers that it will cut nicely without crumbling!
Cross Fingers.jpg

right now I have to go feed my teenage son before he freaks lol
Having raised 3 teenage sons, all you have to do is open the refrigerator door! LOL

SHORT STORY: My DH and I had finally stopped waiting for one of our sons to arrive home on leave from the Air Force. We had just crawled into bed and hunkered down when we heard the refrigerator door open. I said quietly, "Jimmy's home!" and we both chuckled and went back to sleep.

Are you sure you're using baking soda??? I'm beginning to wonder if you might be using "baking powder" instead of baking soda?
It's baking soda but a no name brand I wondered if that could be the case it says one ingredient sodium bicarbonate so yah it's a little weird but I love your recipe my Soap turned out amazing I can't wait to try it I just cut it I will post pics on my gallery in a few min. I'm going to try another brand next time.
IMG_20230701_145633.jpg

So now I have to figure out what to do with all this faux sea water lye I made to day trying to figure this recipe out. Should I strain it and use it now that I know it's not the lye. Or should I figure out how to disposal it. I tried to take better photos of it. See the white at the bottomView attachment 73328
Now that I know the white stuff isn't lye I'm going to strain it and use it I think. When I put it through the strainer all the white stuff goes through the strainer so I thought what if I put a coffee filter in the strainer and then strain it. I don't know if a paper coffee filter would be ok to try.

It's baking soda but a no name brand I wondered if that could be the case it says one ingredient sodium bicarbonate so yah it's a little weird but I love your recipe my Soap turned out amazing I can't wait to try it I just cut it I will post pics on my gallery in a few min. I'm going to try another brand next time.View attachment 73345

In my experience, that brand - which comes from Thrifty Foods, although I have started to see it elsewhere - is terrible. Everything I have tried under this brand is rubbish in my opinion.

I would go with the yellow no-name boxes if cost is an issue, although prices of no-name stuff have also become unstable.

Better yet, just buy some in bulk from a health food store. Baking soda is notorious for having aluminum in it, so that may be an issue with your soap. Hard to know as it's not required that manufacturers list that 'ingredient' in baking soda, ironically.

In my experience, that brand - which comes from Thrifty Foods, although I have started to see it elsewhere - is terrible. Everything I have tried under this brand is rubbish in my opinion.

I would go with the yellow no-name boxes if cost is an issue, although prices of no-name stuff have also become unstable.

Better yet, just buy some in bulk from a health food store. Baking soda is notorious for having aluminum in it, so that may be an issue with your soap. Hard to know as it's not required that manufacturers list that 'ingredient' in baking soda, ironically.
Thanks so much 👍 I'm definitely going to try this recipe with better baking soda next time!

Thanks so much 👍 I'm definitely going to try this recipe with better baking soda next time!

You're very welcome. Be sure to ask at the health food store - NOT Whole Foods (which is NOT a health food store; take a look at the ingredients on their product labels for one) - for aluminum free baking soda.

Yes, it can be slightly more in price, but you're not using it in huge amounts, so hopefully that won't be an issue for you.

Good luck :)

Could mixing my lye to slow with really small amounts of lye at a time to cut back on fumes be the problem I usually do this but never had a problem before. 🥱

I'm very sensitive to lye fumes, and I've discovered that wearing a really heavy dust/fume mask (the kind carpenters and painters use) makes the process much easier/more comfortable. Many of us have masks around from the C19 days; if you do, you may want to try wearing one. I hope this helps.

So I have a super silly question. I'm trying to strain and save my lye. The question is if I have 100g of water and want to mix 80g of lye will my solution then equal 180g after the lye has dissolved.

So I tried making the faux sea water with better Baking soda. I am definitely sure it was the baking soda. So I made it again And it kinda did the same thing but not that bad and there was no white goo floating in it. It went cloudy but looked a bit like powder floating in it this time. So I strained it and the lye and faux sea water went clear again. I think all I did was strain out the baking soda cause this is what was left in the cloth. Any thoughts about this?
IMG_20230702_231353.jpg

Hmmm. 🤔 That looks like it could be either the baking soda or the sea salt or both.

Well, here's what I would do... dump the white stuff back into the water. Nuke in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir until clear. If it's a little bit yellow, nuke again for 20 seconds. The object is to get the sodium bicarbonate ( baking soda) to dissolve completely.

MAKE FAUX SEAWATER - Use for water portion of the lye solution.
1 quart warm water (distilled)
1 Tablespoon sea salt
1 Tablespoon sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)

When I make Faux Seawater, I make 32 oz. at a time and store it in the fridge until I need it. Even if you have no use for the rest of it, sea salt and baking soda aren't all that expensive. My guess is, you'll find other uses for it. For example, warm 4 oz or so in the microwave and gargle/spit for 2 minutes to ease a sore throat. 😁

Last edited:
Hmmm. 🤔 That looks like it could be either the baking soda or the sea salt or both.

Well, here's what I would do... dump the white stuff back into the water. Nuke in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir until clear. If it's a little bit yellow, nuke again for 20 seconds. The object is to get the sodium bicarbonate ( baking soda) to dissolve completely.

MAKE FAUX SEAWATER - Use for water portion of the lye solution.
1 quart warm water (distilled)
1 Tablespoon sea salt
1 Tablespoon sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)

When I make Faux Seawater, I make 32 oz. at a time and store it in the fridge until I need it. Even if you have no use for the rest of it, sea salt and baking soda aren't all that expensive. My guess is, you'll find other uses for it. For example, warm 4 oz or so in the microwave and gargle/spit for 2 minutes to ease a sore throat. 😁
Do you know if it's ok to use sea salt that says iodized could that be the problem I couldn't find any with out it.

Latest posts

Back