I want to make my own launrdy detergent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoticsoaps

Reaction score
I've tried making my own powder laundry detergent before with a homemade recipe that said I needed to grate 1 -2 bars of soap (any kind) and mix it with baking soda. Then use the mixture in my next load. So, in my head I'm thinking in a Patrick Star voice, "Wow, is that all I have to do?! Oh boy that will be easy!!" Needless to say, it took forever to grate the soap AND the recipe didn't even work! Mind you, it was summer when I tried this recipe. Just imagine it not working on summer laundry. :problem: I mean, the clothes LOOKED sort of clean, but they weren't.

I want to try this again, the right way. I plan on using Oxy Boost -which is an alternative to Oxy Clean- baking soda, a grated laundry soap bar, and maybe borax.

Do I really need to add washing soda to the mix, though? Am I missing any necessary ingredients?

Last edited:
I use my 100% coconut 0.5% SF soap, grated. To every 2 cups by volume of grated soap I add 1 cup borax and 1 cup washing soda (NOT Baking soda). 2 Tbsp of this per wash in my front loader works great, if its a very dirty or white load Ill add a bit of oxyclean (or generic equivalent), and spots get rubbed with small bar of the soap before going in.

I think you really do need to use washing soda. I cant find it at stores here so I get hubby to buy it on Amazon with his prime account. Not even Arm and Hammer laundry detergent uses baking soda, I don't think it does much for cleaning clothes.

I think you really do need to use washing soda. I cant find it at stores here so I get hubby to buy it on Amazon with his prime account. Not even Arm and Hammer laundry detergent uses baking soda, I don't think it does much for cleaning clothes.

Using baking soda by itself, no, I don't think it does much of anything for cleaning clothes. But, when you add it to a load with detergent, it works like a booster. Your whites & colors come out brighter. Hence the "sort of clean" look I mentioned during my first DIY attempt. Just be weary of using baking soda with heavy materials like jeans, as the baking soda likes to cling to those for dear life.

I made my own (from this link) for the first time and I was really surprised how much I liked it. I searched and read so many reviews, I have a he front load washer.
http://happymoneysaver.com/making-your-own-laundry-detergent-worth-the-cost/

I was just about to post this exact recipe from this very site as one of the two finalists in my internet search for a DIY laundry detergent recipe! :thumbup:

Here is the other one I found that I think would be more manageable for the size of the container I plan to store the mix in.

1 cup borax
1 cup of baking soda (I added this ingredient to the list)
1 cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
1/2 cup Oxy Clean (I'll be using Oxy Boost instead)
1 bar shredded home-made coconut laundry soap
*Mix together in a large container. Store in a dry location.

I plan on just buying a coconut oil laundry soap bar from Etsy. I've already sourced a seller I want to try with a pretty good price, including shipping.

It was between this one and another one. When I was buying the ingredients I spoke with a lady that used this recipe. She made it dry (which she used the most) and wet ( for stains) and she swore buy it. I chose to made it dry because of space and time, but I have always used a liquid. I loved the dry from the first wash. I can't stop smelling my towels! Lol But when you mix the graded soap in a food processor / blender... Mix in the washing soda while blending. And mix in 1-2 cups at a time, not all at once. Dump all the ingredients in a tall trash bag, tie it and flip bag over and over for 2-3 min. It mixes it all up. Have your containers handy and cut a small corner of the bag. It will pour right out of the bag in a small amount so it doesn't spill everywhere. Not as much dust also.

It was between this one and another one. When I was buying the ingredients I spoke with a lady that used this recipe. She made it dry (which she used the most) and wet ( for stains) and she swore buy it. I chose to made it dry because of space and time, but I have always used a liquid. I loved the dry from the first wash. I can't stop smelling my towels! Lol But when you mix the graded soap in a food processor / blender... Mix in the washing soda while blending. And mix in 1-2 cups at a time, not all at once. Dump all the ingredients in a tall trash bag, tie it and flip bag over and over for 2-3 min. It mixes it all up. Have your containers handy and cut a small corner of the bag. It will pour right out of the bag in a small amount so it doesn't spill everywhere. Not as much dust also.

Thanks for the tip, seahorse! I don't have a food processor so I was planning to grate the soap by hand. But I can mix in the washing soda as I'm grating the soap. I've always preferred powder detergent to liquid because I just think it cleans better in general.

If you can't find washing soda, just stick baking soda into a 400F oven for half an hour, be sure that it is not still producing steam before you remove it from the oven.

Thanks for your tip, Susie! I can get washing soda from my local Walgreens, but if I'm ever in a bind this tip will definitely come in handy. Not to mention I'll totally look like a brainiac. ;)

A friend of mine just fine graded (with the aid of her teenager) the soap and she was pleased with the results. Mine looked like shredded cheddar ( I gave up using the small holes after 10 min) LOL and I used my blender. The fels naphtha soap smells very strong but it had better reviews than other suggested soaps. After it was mixed in it wasn't as strong smelling. I like that the ingredients have been around for over a hundred (or close to) years. I felt like my grandma would approve. I would be curious about the coconut soap though.

I've used both Fel's Naptha and my 100% coconut oil soap. I don't see a difference in cleaning, but there is a scent with the Fels Naptha and hubby likes scent free.

We're using soap nuts and love them! NaturOli is where we get ours!

I've tried soap nuts before, the trial size from EcoNuts, and maybe it was just me or perhaps it wasn't enough soap nuts in the trial pack, but I thought they were just, okay. Glad you like them though, soap nuts are about as natural as you can get!

I've decided to make some adjustments to the recipe after doing a little more digging on borax, which I wasn't sure about from the beginning and I didn't like what I found.

So, here is the new recipe for Borax-Free Homemade Laundry Detergent if anyone is interested:

4 cups baking soda
3 cups washing soda
2 cups of grated laundry soap bar (about 1 bar)
1 1/2 cups of Purex Complete Crystals (Optional)

I edited the amounts from the original recipe so that I could make less of the mixture. But you can see the original amounts here.

Last edited:
This is my version. I apologize in advance for the long post.

Super Amp Laundry Powder with Tide® Power
By Suzanne Nelson
I spent hours on the internet looking for the best DIY laundry detergent recipe. I'm rather thrifty and didn't want to waste time or money and be left with something that didn't work. I took lots of notes and tried many different recipes, powder and liquid. I live in SC with red dirt and work in a school kitchen. I needed something heavy duty. I wanted to combine the savings of DIY detergent with the cleaning power you get from the enzymes found in Tide Laundry Detergent. You still save a whole lot of $$ without sacrificing super clean clothes. Here's what I came up with...

1 - box Borax
1 - box Washing Soda
5 - cap fulls Tide Liquid Laundry Detergent (I found Tide Coldwater on sale for $4.00. Any Tide Liquid will do. It doesn't have to be HE. Once combined with the Washing Soda, there are barely any suds)
2 - bars Fels Naptha and 1 bar Zote ( I use both cuz it's purty)
1 - 6 lb tub Sun Oxygen Powder
**OPTIONALS:
1 - bottle of Purex Crystals (your scent choice, I like Fresh Spring Waters)
1 - box Baking Soda (it won't hurt if you have it but isn't a deal breaker if you don't. From the research I have done, it's really not needed when there is Washing Soda. But if you feel you must... please feel free) I had it, so I tossed it in.

Grate soap bars and set off to the side to dry out. The dryer the soap the easier to turn into powder. I usually let them sit a day or two after I have grated them. Once they are dry and crumbly I run them through my spice grinder and turn them into a fine powder. Set aside until it is time to combine all ingredients. I have found I can get a finer powder when the grated soap is ground by itself rather than grinding after it's mixed with everything else. You can add a few spoons of Borax to make the soap grind dryer and too keep it from clumping. Set this mixture off to the side for later.

Mix Borax and Washing Soda together. Then add the Tide Liquid to the mix. Blend until the powders and liquid are fully incorporated and no individual clumps of white or blue are showing. Let this mixture dry over night. If mixed well, you should have a dry, fluffy powder the next day. If any hard clumps are found they can be taken care of when everything goes through the food processor for a final spin.

Making sure that all powders and mixtures are completely dry with no moisture remaining, combine all ingredients. Your grated, powdered soap bars might get gummy if exposed to any liquid. It is extremely important to wait and add the oxygen powder last to the thoroughly dried mixture. Once the oxygen powder comes into contact with liquid it is activated and will then lose it's cleaning power after a very short time making it useless.

I run everything through the food processor, as mentioned above. This ensures no clumpy bits, all ingredients are dispersed evenly, and will dissolve in water (including cold) more effectively. Make sure you have good ventilation and wear a painter's mask. All this processing produces some very fine dust.

Use 2 to 3 Tablespoons depending on the wash load. I save my bottles from the Purex scent crystals and store some of my finished powder in those. The little cap measures out the perfect amount I need and its handy for traveling.

This recipe makes enough to last for a really long time. I can't be sure if it's actually a year's supply. My friends and family that started out as my lab monkeys keep bringing back their original test sample jars for refills. I still have plenty left after 6 months, which is still a considerable savings from just one $4.00 sale jug of Tide.

When washing I always follow with a 1/4 cup Vinegar rinse to make clothes soft and get any residue that tries to sneak past. No odor of Vinegar is left behind. DO NOT USE VINEGAR RINSE IF YOU USED CHLORINE BLEACH IN THE WASH LOAD!!!

My tweaked recipe is a bit more time consuming, but in the end the finished product is worth the effort. It is every bit as effective as store brands at a fraction of the cost. And it's fun to make.

2014-05-10 16.07.40.jpg

2014-05-18 01.37.28.jpg

Last edited:
I use the same recipe that others have posted here. I make it with Ivory, Borax and Washing Soda. I got the washing soda at WalMart. I had to ask them to help me find it, it's kind of in an odd place. I also add some gratings of some of my soaps, and essential oils. My last batch I added grapefruit soap (no scent left) and grapefruit EO, and it smells so good. You can smell it after they are washed, but not after they are dried.

Oh, and the recipe I used had a trick for grating up the Ivory- you microwave it for 1 min. It puffs up like a giant marshmallow, and then once it is cool to the touch, it just breaks up really easily. You can just put it in the blender with the other ingredients and blend. No grating!!

I'm picking up supplies next week to make this. If I want to add a fragrance, am I better to scent my coconut oil soap, or should I leave it plain and mix it with the powders? I think I might get a stronger scent with option 2, but thought it might be mixed better with the first choice. ?? :p

I have to admit, I grate my soap on the big grater holes of my box grater, and I just kinda mix it by hand with the powders. No grinding or anything, just grate like cheese and mix. Maybe we are blessed with cooperative water, but this has no problems dissolving in my front loading machine at any temp. For a while I was obsessively looking for evidence of undissolved soap to punish me for my lazy, lazy ways, but I haven't found any yet...

And I'm actually developing a bit of a cult following for this laundry soap mix - I can tell when the guys at work need more when they start asking how my soap making is going.

My understanding of the chemistry says yes, you need washing soda. Borax only works well in hot water and can be omitted if you use cold water as it won't dissolve well. Baking soda doesn't work as a cleanser, and isn't as strong a water softener as the washing soda (which is super easy to make in the oven). (Honestly, washing soda and soap are quite effective, with a vinegar rinse if you want to soften. The commercial washing powder I bought last seems to contain a very high amount of washing soda)

If you grate soap that is fairly fresh, it is easy, or use a food processor with the shredding disc. It will be more like cheese than powder, but if you let it dry, you can powder it in a blender or processor if you want (avoid inhaling the dust it produces in great quantity if you do this)

Back