I didn't make soap today...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaMarie

Reaction score
Well, I took a break from playing mad scientist today from the soapy experiments a group of us have been conducting on one of the threads. I made these raspberry scones with rose water glaze instead!

image.jpg

Last edited:
When I move to Oregon I am so friending you... You are so on my wave length! Those look scrumptious.

I made brown butter chocolate chip peanut butter cookies instead of the OMH goats milk soap I keep putting off. After my practice run and finding some lye crystals in the final batch I just haven't overcome my insecurities just yet so I reverted to baking. :rolleyes:

Lol! Are you moving to Oregon? -I would love to be friended! I have to admit I've been enjoying myself hugely on this forum getting to meet people who have similar interests. Baking and cooking are a couple of my other hobbies. Keep soaping Jules! Don't let the little mishaps deter you- just use them for motivation to make another batch to set things right :) :)
Cheers!
Anna Marie

Looks like soap to me, AnnaMarie! I won't believe you made scones until I get some in the mail. :)

Seriously though, I've tried scones before and mine turn out dry and bland. I think I'm a good cook, but I keep missing the mark on scones. Any tips?

My English aunt instructed me in the art of scone making some years ago. I found out the true scone is a more scant and rather dry affair, but still good. If you want a moist scone I will give you my super, duper, grade-school-kids-love-these recipe.

Best Scones
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Combine and cut in
6 tbsp butter

Stir in 1 cup whipping cream (not spray kind :) )

Knead dough a few times. Pat into a circle or rectangle with a fair amount of thickness. Score dough before baking. You can also pat it into a 8-10 in circle and cut out triangles that you bake individually. Bake at 350 until edges are light brown (about 30 min if dough is baked altogether or about 15 if scones are baked individually. Not overbaking these is key to this recipe. You can add fruit, chips, etc. to these very nicely although if the fruit is frozen it may add to the baking time. These are pretty fool proof scones and delicious. Enjoy!
Cheers!
Anna Marir
Ps- maybe we should do a scone swap :-D

*whines* I want baked yummies now! But I don't have a working oven, and I'm going over to hang out with my friends tonight... I'm trying not to use their oven because of a disaster the last time I did.

I made a pie and didn't realize some of the shortening from the crust had bubbled out onto the floor of the oven. So when they went to use the oven the next time, they got a bunch of nasty smoke. :( So, I've banned myself from using their oven again.

Thank you for the recipe, AnnaMarie. I've saved and printed it and will give it a try this week. I have some dried cranberries and homemade dried peaches -- would bits of dried fruit be good to add?

I think perhaps my expectations of scones are that they should be sweeter and moister than an authentic scone. To redeem myself, I ~can~ do a perfect shortbread that I hope would make my Scottish great-grandmother proud!

Last edited:
Thank you for the recipe, AnnaMarie. I've saved and printed it and will give it a try this week. I have some dried cranberries and homemade dried peaches -- would bits of dried fruit be good to add?

I think perhaps my expectations of scones are that they should be sweeter and moister than an authentic scone. To redeem myself, I ~can~ do a perfect shortbread that I hope would make my Scottish great-grandmother proud!

These scones are great with dried fruit! I've added craisins and some oj in place of some of the whipping cream before. Truthfully, I'm a fan of the more modern scone myself (sweeter and moister). My English aunt was a little shocked by my recipe- lol! Not to worry! She and I got along famously! I don't suppose you'd share your shortbread recipe (if it's not breaking any long held family secrets :) )
Cheers!
Anna Marie

Being an Englishman living in Austria, these are one of the things that I have to bake myself as it is too hard/expensive to get it pre-made over here. Along with Shortbread. The Admirable Lady has no issues with me baking up a batch of scones, it has to be said.

Now, making clotted cream is something that I haven't tried yet..............

looks delicious!

Effy, don't be sad. I can't get any good bread-stuff here. I've even been resorted to trying my hand in croissants and puff pastry.... I have to make bread regularly. it's fun, but sometimes it's nice to be able to wander into a bakery and just buy these things you know will be delicious.....

Tried my bread machine yesterday for the first time in years and it was a dismal flop. :( Didn't get the pan locked in and when I went to fix it, the whole thing started over. Bread fell and crust was hard as a rock. I would try again today but that is all of my honey and the windchill is -10 degrees F. out there. NOT going out. Still, with school closed today (read: off work!), it would be a perfect day to bake something....

Latest posts

Back