Allergic to lye based soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirsten.

Reaction score
Hello my lovely soapy friends ❤️ I have a question/sad story to relate.

I've been told that I'm allergic to soap! Can you imagine the tragedy?

I've never had eczema in my life, but I developed severe eczema, mostly on my hands, but also my ears (!!!) last fall. I've tried all the creams, prescription, over the counter and made at home. I've tried soap with no coconut oil (recommendation from my dermatologist), olive oil only soap. I did some experiments using only syndet for 5 days, then homemade soap - and I couldn't get past day 2 for the itching and bleeding. I tried using only really old (super-well cured) soap.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? If so, were you able to solve it? I really like making soap, and I love using my own soap. Am I truly doomed to simply give up my beloved soap??

Hello my lovely soapy friends ❤️ I have a question/sad story to relate.

I've been told that I'm allergic to soap! Can you imagine the tragedy?

I've never had eczema in my life, but I developed severe eczema, mostly on my hands, but also my ears (!!!) last fall. I've tried all the creams, prescription, over the counter and made at home. I've tried soap with no coconut oil (recommendation from my dermatologist), olive oil only soap. I did some experiments using only syndet for 5 days, then homemade soap - and I couldn't get past day 2 for the itching and bleeding. I tried using only really old (super-well cured) soap.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? If so, were you able to solve it? I really like making soap, and I love using my own soap. Am I truly doomed to simply give up my beloved soap??
It might be a glycerin allergy. I've only ever met one person's husband who had it.

Has your dermatologist told you exactly what it is that you are allergic to in soap, that seems to be a very general diagnosis without determining the direct cause. Can you ask to get tested to actually find out what you are allergic to ? Sounds like the dermatologist suggesting you try soap without CO, means they have no clue.

Haha - I knew you guys would have some thoughts.

The dermatologist said it's *probably * due to lye based soap, but suggested that I could try a coconut free soap because she had heard of some people able to tolerate that. She said that it's more of a reaction than an actual allergy, so there's no real test for it... Other than not using soap and then using it again.

Yes, I did a trade with a local soap maker for some pure lard soap - same issue. Arguably that was actually worse.

I don't think it's glycerin, because I use glycerin in lots of creams and lotions that don't bother my skin.

Syndet cleanser is fine. No issues with that.

The only real way to find out is to make soap with different kinds of oils and see which ones you react to. I am curious though, does anything have shea butter in it? Shea is in the latex family so if you're allergic to latex, you'll likely be allergic to shea but it's not guaranteed.

Haha - I knew you guys would have some thoughts.

The dermatologist said it's *probably * due to lye based soap, but suggested that I could try a coconut free soap because she had heard of some people able to tolerate that. She said that it's more of a reaction than an actual allergy, so there's no real test for it... Other than not using soap and then using it again.

Yes, I did a trade with a local soap maker for some pure lard soap - same issue. Arguably that was actually worse.

I don't think it's glycerin, because I use glycerin in lots of creams and lotions that don't bother my skin.

Syndet cleanser is fine. No issues with that.
Then sadly, you probably can’t tolerate lye based soaps due to the pH. You can make syndet bars from scratch. You can continue trying different oils to make soap if you would like to do that. Try making soap without fragrance, essential oils or colorants.

Last edited:
I would have suggested the same thing, good call. But, I never use artificial fragrance in my soaps, lotions or cleansers - only essential oils. In soap I usually I go fragrance free. I'm also careful to use only skin safe EOs, not anything sensitizing.

I'm hoping this is a "flare up" situation and that I can eventually go back to soap. It might be a coincidence, but it started immediately after I had COVID. I already have autoimmune issues, so this may be just another rearing its head.

@kirsten hope you get it figured out. It can be so difficult to figure out these issues. I personally can use only a few all EO’s and have not found any FO’s that I can tolerate. My issues are a bit different as my reactions are internal as opposed to skin reactions. I get tinnitus, headaches and if ignored eventually coughing/breathing issues. Luckily I have a few EO’s that are safe but when I’m having a flare I go to unscented. Best of luck to you.

@kirsten. I might suggest first trying a batch without any FO or EO of any kind in it. I have a surprising amount of friends that are highly reactive to linalool, a naturally occurring compound, which is found in many fragrances, irregardless of their origin or makeup.
Thanks for mentioning this. It’s fascinating to me and may be a clue for me to determine more specifically what my triggers my fragrance issues. I looked at Wikipedia and the plants associated with linalool are mostly issues for me. 🤔

@kirsten. sensitivity to linalool is appearing to be so common that I'm redoing my labels to include it as a potential allergin, along with shea and its allergin potential for those with latex sensitivities.
That's a great idea! I didn't realize sensitivity to linalool is so common. However, it's already on the EU list of potential allergens that must be disclosed on labels if present above certain levels, along with geraniol, citral, limonene, eugenol, and other substances that are found in both essential oils and fragrance oils.

@kirsten, since you use EOs, you might want to look into what components might affect you. According to EoCalc, lavandin and lavender contain 37 to 40% linalool! And many others such as clary sage, rosemary, lemongrass, geranium, and litsea cubeba have it in smaller amounts. But there were 26 potential allergens on the EU list last time I looked, so plenty more to check on besides linalool (even in EOs considered "skin-safe"). I hope you will be able to find your triggers, and be able to use your own soap again!

Latest posts

Back