I didn't make soap today...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alaska stile weekend- Dog mushing , ice park (you can see it online at icealaska.com) family dinner . Ready for new week. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1395040967.727243.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1395041001.153981.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1395041034.420209.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1395041193.908507.jpg

Thank you, AnnaMarie. I followed your recipe as written and the little tidbits I've scrounged so far taste wonderful. I'm impatiently waiting for them to cool, so I gave myself a photography assignment to keep me busy in the meantime. :) I made two batches to freeze for weekday breakfasts -- one with 1/2 c home-made dried peaches cut into raisin-sized bits and one with 1/2 c dried cherries. DH gave me flowers today, so I borrowed a sprig of daisies for an accent.

scones.jpg

Those look perfect and the presentation is lovely! I love the idea of dried peaches- I've done dried cherries which are tasty. I also make a glaze or sprinkle them with sugar. You're so good! I don't wait for them to cool :-D And yes, the dough is good as well :-D. One of these days I'll pull out my "super duper-made me the most popular baker at school- is Mrs. T. bringing the cookies?" recipe :)
Cheers!
Anna Marie

Last edited:
Yeah, the dough DOES taste good! And I'd thought adding a sugar sprinkle on top would give a nice little crunch.

The peach bits are mellower and fruitier tasting -- the cherries are tart and bright. The peach version got our top vote last night as a simple supper with a glass of milk and a game of cribbage. I think dried apricot would be similar to the peach and very good too. I would keep the cherries at 1/2 cup, but I might do peach or apricot bits at 3/4 c or so. Next time I try this recipe, I might cut back a wee bit on the sugar to suit my particular sweet tooth, but if I had kids around, I'd leave the sweetener as-is.

Comparing your recipe with the scones I've eaten in the past from bakeries and such -- Yours are sweeter and richer with a tender flaky texture. The bakery scones are more like everyday drop biscuits -- a dry crumbly texture, less sweet, and less rich. I know the English and Scots eat their scones with sweet, rich toppings, but yours are lovely for eating the way we Iowans eat scones -- just plain.

Back