How to use silk

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Buckscent

Reaction score
I tried using some silk on my last batch, I put a little in my lye coconut milk solution. When I started mixing oils and water it all wrapped around my mixer

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You have to cut it really fine or let it dissolve in hot lye mixture. I do a 50/50 ish lye mixture. I let my silk soak in my water for a bit then add my lye. The heat dissolves/breaks it down. I add my milk and powdered milk to my oils and mix well then add my lye. Works like a charm.

Buckscent

Reaction score
I tried it in a goats milk/lye mixture and I kept it in an ice bath so probably the problem

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it need heat and the chemical reaction to break it down.

doriettefarm

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I usually add my silk to the hot lye solution so can totally see it not dissolving in a frozen milk solution. I think I've seen liquid silk so maybe something like that would work better in milk soaps.

ETA: BB & WSP carry liquid silk but I'm not sure how far an oz of liquid would go compared to the raw stuff

Last edited:

joy.

Reaction score
I tried it in a goats milk/lye mixture and I kept it in an ice bath so probably the problem
Yes, that's the problem.

I also let the silk soak in a tiny bit of distilled water, then add a tiny bit of the lye to that, and smash the silk with a hard spoon to dissolve while it's hot. I let that cool, pour it over my frozen milk, then add the rest of the lye as usual.

Don't breathe near the fumes while the silk is dissolving. I do it outside.

Buckscent

Reaction score
Yes, that's the problem.

I also let the silk soak in a tiny bit of distilled water, then add a tiny bit of the lye to that, and smash the silk with a hard spoon to dissolve while it's hot. I let that cool, pour it over my frozen milk, then add the rest of the lye as usual.

Don't breathe near the fumes while the silk is dissolving. I do it outside.
Good idea, ill try that. I assume you subtract whatever little water you use to melt the silk from your total lye solution?

joy.

Reaction score
Good idea, ill try that. I assume you subtract whatever little water you use to melt the silk from your total lye solution?
I do. 1/2 - 1 oz water is all you need, so I just subtract that from my milk. And the lye is a portion of the measured lye that would be going in, not extra.

Latest posts