silk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoozoo

Reaction score
Hello all
I did a little experiment yesterday, I read it here on the forum
Dissolving silk with lye only, without water
This picture, after approximately 15 hours, there is a chemical reaction and it released a very small amount of liquid but did not actually dissolve.
I also read how to add silk with iced liquid. Should I divide the lye and water precisely into 50% of the entire batch, one to dissolve the silk with the hot lye, and the other to dissolve the water or iced milk with the other half of the lye, and can I take a random amount of lye and water to dissolve? Silk and then add it to the rest of the iced main batch

Attachments

• IMG_9815.jpeg
    IMG_9815.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I also tried dissolving the silk with dry NaOH, and nothing happened. Another problem with this suggested technique is that leaving the NaOH exposed to the air will cause it to draw moisture from the air, and eventually convert into sodium carbonate (soda ash). In other words, the longer you leave the NaOH exposed to the air, the less active lye will remain with which to create soap.

To properly dissolve the lye, you must use AT LEAST an equal weight of water. So if you are dissolving 3 oz of lye, you must use at least 3 oz of water.

As long as you make sure to do that, yes, you can split your lye solution into two separate batches in order to dissolve the silk in part of it, and to dissolve the rest of the lye in frozen liquid to cool it off faster.

The other option is to create a large master-batch of NaOH with the silk, and let the whole thing cool off. As long as you store it properly, it will last a long time, and you will always have a cool lye solution ready to go when you want it. :)

I also tried dissolving the silk with dry NaOH, and nothing happened. Another problem with this suggested technique is that leaving the NaOH exposed to the air will cause it to draw moisture from the air, and eventually convert into sodium carbonate (soda ash). In other words, the longer you leave the NaOH exposed to the air, the less active lye will remain with which to create soap.

To properly dissolve the lye, you must use AT LEAST an equal weight of water. So if you are dissolving 3 oz of lye, you must use at least 3 oz of water.

As long as you make sure to do that, yes, you can split your lye solution into two separate batches in order to dissolve the silk in part of it, and to dissolve the rest of the lye in frozen liquid to cool it off faster.

The other option is to create a large master-batch of NaOH with the silk, and let the whole thing cool off. As long as you store it properly, it will last a long time, and you will always have a cool lye solution ready to go when you want it. :)
Well that explains why it only got wet and the silk didn't melt at all
The idea of ready-made lye sounds great
But how will I measure what I need for my recipe
What is the amount of lye that I will dissolve in water as a percentage?
Thank you for your useful suggestions 🌷

There are two basic ways to create master-batched lye solution:

1. Make it at the strength you prefer to use. I use 40% lye concentration in almost every soap, so I masterbatch mine at 40% and include tussah silk, sodium citrate, and sorbitol at the ratios that go into my soaps.

2. Make it at 50% strength, and add additional liquid (distilled water, milk, etc.) to each batch as needed to reach your desired percentage. That additional liquid can also be used to rehydrate clays, dissolve additives, etc.

Here are some good resources for how to make and use master-batched lye solution:

Small Scale Masterbatch Lye Solution
Masterbatching Oils and Lye
Easy Way to Masterbatch Lye Solution

There are two basic ways to create master-batched lye solution:

1. Make it at the strength you prefer to use. I use 40% lye concentration in almost every soap, so I masterbatch mine at 40% and include tussah silk, sodium citrate, and sorbitol at the ratios that go into my soaps.

2. Make it at 50% strength, and add additional liquid (distilled water, milk, etc.) to each batch as needed to reach your desired percentage. That additional liquid can also be used to rehydrate clays, dissolve additives, etc.

Here are some good resources for how to make and use master-batched lye solution:

Small Scale Masterbatch Lye Solution
Masterbatching Oils and Lye
Easy Way to Masterbatch Lye Solution
thanks thanks very much
The links were very helpful
And your clear explanation 🌷

This is a new trick I just learned from you guys 👍🏻
Thank you 🌷

@AliOop is right. I also master batch my lye at the strength I prefer to use. Makes it easier for me.
This is a new trick I just learned from you guys 👍🏻
Thank you 🌷

Latest posts

Back