How to use silk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckscent

Reaction score
I tried using some silk on my last batch, I put a little in my lye coconut milk solution. When I started mixing oils and water it all wrapped around my mixer

I usually add my silk to the hot lye solution so can totally see it not dissolving in a frozen milk solution. I think I've seen liquid silk so maybe something like that would work better in milk soaps.

ETA: BB & WSP carry liquid silk but I'm not sure how far an oz of liquid would go compared to the raw stuff

Last edited:
I tried it in a goats milk/lye mixture and I kept it in an ice bath so probably the problem

Yes, that's the problem.

I also let the silk soak in a tiny bit of distilled water, then add a tiny bit of the lye to that, and smash the silk with a hard spoon to dissolve while it's hot. I let that cool, pour it over my frozen milk, then add the rest of the lye as usual.

Don't breathe near the fumes while the silk is dissolving. I do it outside.

Yes, that's the problem.

I also let the silk soak in a tiny bit of distilled water, then add a tiny bit of the lye to that, and smash the silk with a hard spoon to dissolve while it's hot. I let that cool, pour it over my frozen milk, then add the rest of the lye as usual.

Don't breathe near the fumes while the silk is dissolving. I do it outside.

Good idea, ill try that. I assume you subtract whatever little water you use to melt the silk from your total lye solution?

Good idea, ill try that. I assume you subtract whatever little water you use to melt the silk from your total lye solution?

I do. 1/2 - 1 oz water is all you need, so I just subtract that from my milk. And the lye is a portion of the measured lye that would be going in, not extra.

Back