Tussah Silk and Ice water lye solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MommaSoaper

Reaction score
Changing things up a bit and am using distilled water/ice to make lye solution.

Before I changed my methods, I Was adding salt and tussah silk to water and then dissolving it all with the lye. Now that’s not possible.

Any ideas how to dissolve silk and additives now that I’m using ice??

Thank you for the help!

I use a combination of ice and room temp water (just enough to dissolve the additives) and stick blend them into my warm oils. The ice never seems to weigh the exact amount needed for the liquid, so I have to add to it anyway. It won’t work for silk though ☹️

I use a combination of ice and room temp water (just enough to dissolve the additives) and stick blend them into my warm oils. The ice never seems to weigh the exact amount needed for the liquid, so I have to add to it anyway. It won’t work for silk though ☹️
Kind of figured there wasn’t a work around on this. Thank you for your input :)

I'm a little late to the party, but, back in the day, some soapers added the tussah silk directly to the lye crystals and allowed it to thoroughly dissolve before adding the water. Whether that will work or not with adding ice, your guess is as good as mine but I see no reason why it shouldn't. ;)
So, I can add the tussah silk to the lye crystals, without any liquid, and the silk will dissolve? Then I can add the lye to my frozen liquid? I'm very curious about this because I noticed no matter how small my silk bits are, they always clump up around the ice and then don't dissolve. Then I figure I can blend in the silk clumps when I add the lye solution to the melted oils but it just gums up in mu stick blender. I was wondering what else I could do with the silk because I have more than I really need as I tend to use clays and other ingredients at this point, but I would really love to add the silk to my soap 🥰

So, I can add the tussah silk to the lye crystals, without any liquid, and the silk will dissolve?
No, tussah silk won't dissolve if you try to mix it with dry lye crystals. To dissolve, it needs both the exothermic reaction (heat caused by mixing the NaOH with water), and the strong alkali solution.

Latest posts

Back