How Do I Cover This? (with pix)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftykelly

Reaction score
I made my Choc Mint soap this afternoon and made a choc topping kinda feature on the top. Now, it sticks up a little above the mold so how exactly do I cover it properly? ATM I have it in a box lined with a folded up towel under and surrounding the mold, closed the box and put a small blanket over the top of the box. Will this be ok?

That sounds fine. Mind you, if it's as hot at your house as it has been at mine today, insulating probably isn't too much of an issue :lol:

with a mold like that, I would worry about overheating if it's hot at your house .. that's nice thick wood .. so you should get a full gel without insulating as long as you use a lid

I get full gel every time, with no insulation at this time of year. It's only once it gets cooler that I have to worry about insulating.

to cover something like that you simply need a box that is higher than the soap in the mold. Then you flip the box over and set it over the whole mold. Then you can put blankets and such on the box. Just be sure to use a box that is tall enough, not MUCH bigger than the mold, and sturdy enough to hold the weight of the blanket.

It's a good idea to figure out a box now and set it aside for use next time you need it because for SURE you won't find one when you are frantically looking!

That looks like a TOG mold? Anyway, my TOG molds look like that & I've never had to cover them. In fact, I have to put them in a cool place to keep from over heating any time of the year.

Unfortunately I think I may have overheated it :( The top isn't smooth and flat now. But, it does smell gorgeous! :D

It is a wooden log that I lined with gladbake. I would love to buy a TOG from Soapmakerman but with the $$ so bad for us atm, it will have to wait :cry:

Along the corners it is opaque, so I am guessing this is ok, I took it out of the mold this morning and will cut it later this afternoon. Here is a pic so far.

It looks fine!!! If it had overheated, you would've had at least some cracking.

Congrats!!!

TOG molds will still be there when you have the $$! :D You've got a really great looking mold there!

Waiting for the sliced bars pic. :lol:

craftykelly said:

As long as they don't zap you when you do a tongue test, you can try them. They might be a bit drying & will definitely be milder weeks from now.

I always test right away. I don't wash my body with a brand new bar, but I do test on my hands. I guess I need to know it's really soap!! :lol: Then, I'm all amazed at the bubbles - just like the first batch.

Looks fine to me too! 8) Becky from AU, has several of my TOG Molds. I ship a lot of molds "Down Under" and to New Zealand too. Yup, I'll be here if you need a wood mold you don't need to line! :D

Paul :wink:

I was at Ikea today and I saw an excellent wooden mould. Its supposed to be a wooden "pot plant holder" but I'm def going to use it as a mould. Only $10

Latest posts

Back