Help needed with Salt Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barefootbody

Reaction score
I've just had a request (from a guy) for a Salt Bar, I haven't made these before. A recipe I found suggests: CO 69%, AO 12.9%, Castor 4.3%, 16 oz Salt

Does this look good to the experienced Salt Soapers here? I'm also a little unsure about my mold, it would seem that I would calculate it to include the salt, so my actual recipe is really 32 oz?

Any suggestions or help would sure be appreciated!

Thanks, Barefoot

Thanks so much Soapmomma, the links were helpful, now I'm more confused, lol! I think I will stay with my recipe, but use less salt, maybe 10 -12 oz instead of 16. I was curious about the cure time, and the threads did answer that question.

I seem to be having trouble using the search feature. I typed in Salt Bars, CP forum, and what came back was a lot of threads totally not related to salt bars. When I hit the back button, the webpage has expired, and I have to start the search all over.
Every time I use the Search this is the result. Am I doing something totally wrong???

barefootbody said:
I seem to be having trouble using the search feature. I typed in Salt Bars, CP forum, and what came back was a lot of threads totally not related to salt bars. When I hit the back button, the webpage has expired, and I have to start the search all over.
Every time I use the Search this is the result. Am I doing something totally wrong???

I have noticed that the search does seem to have changed, too. When it says webpage has expired, just hit F5 or your refresh button and tell it to reload. HTH

Sorry, not experienced with salt bars...

You can also look under 'spa bars' as well. Different people call them by different names. You can also do a Google search for Spa Bars and the name Iben. Iben is the gal who originated this type of bar on another forum about 4 or 5 years ago.

I've done many salt or spa bars (just did another one last night as a matter of fact), and you basically want a high amount of coconut oil in these types of bars, at least 70% IMO, because salt kills lather and the best known oil that suds well in salt water is lots of coconut oil. I personally like to make my salt bars with 100% coconut oil for the best lather.

As for salt, I use fine sea salt. I used to add enough salt to equal my weight in oils in my batches, and then half as much, but I'm finding lately that I really like adding only 1/4 of salt ppo (divide your total oil amount by 4 and whatever you come up with as an answer, add that amount to your batch as salt). I've done 2 batches with this amount of salt so far, and I really like it. I still get a rock-solid bar of soap that feels as smooth as glass when bathed with, but it's it's much easier to cut when unmolding because the reduced salt results in less crumbling when cutting.

The one I did last night had the 1/4 salt I mentioned, 100% coconut oil, 100% coconut milk as my total liquid, and it was superfatted at 13%. It makes for a great feeling bar of soap.

Depending on how much salt you add, you'll want to adjust your batch size to compensate. My usual size batch is 2.5 lbs, and with the reduced salt amount that I added, I adjusted my batch down to 2.35 lbs. to roughly get the same bar thickness I'm used to. I use a slab mold with high sides, which is more forgiving than my log molds where the size of my salt bar batches are concerned. I can go a bit over on my salt bar batch size without ever overflowing my mold.

Add the salt at trace with a whisk. I add mine right after ading the F/O, and if I still have time, I do some 'in the pot' swirls and then pour.

After you get done pouring into your mold, stick your mold (assuming it's oven-safe) in a warm (not hot), oven to encourage gel. Once it gels and firms back up enough (which can take as little as a half hour at times, but usually an hour, or sometimes a little more or so), unmold it and cut it right away, even if the soap is hot (use gloves). If you wait too long to cut, it will be too hard to cut smoothly and evenly. You really have to keep an eye on it to catch it at the right time. I check on mine every 10 to 15 minutes.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. :)

IrishLass

I love them! My first salt bar was a M&P which "seized" the minute I added the salt! I made CP salt bars recently using Soapmakerman's suggested proportions of 80% of oil weight for the salt and they are great, but I was wondering about reducing the salt volume even more. Thanks Irishlass for your input here....now I will try the 1/4 weight to see the difference!

Barefootbody - my recipe I decided on was 750g CO, 100g Shea Butter & 50g Castor oil with 720g fine salt (I used plain cooking salt but I will use sea salt next time because I now have some!). It lathers well and my DH claimed it as soon as I put it in the shower :wink:

Tanya :)

Thanks IrishLass, that was really helpful. I will try googling Spa Bar instead of Salt Bar & see what pops up. You're suggestions were really helpful, & I was wondering about colorant. Since salt doesn't really absorb color (does it?) I would think that I would just need enough by oil weight. I hate to mix up more than I need, it will be wasted.

I was planning on putting it in a warm oven (150) but didn't realize that I needed to check it every 10 - 15 minutes, so thanks for that tip.

I was all set to make my soap today, everything is ready to go, but realized I didn't have enough fragrance, I've got an order in, it should be here tomorrow.

About the suggestion to use less salt, I'm thinking this guy doesn't want it smooth as glass, he wants a rough bar, so I think this time I will use a bit more salt. If this batch goes well, I will try the next one with less salt.

IanT, I'm sure if you tried a salt bar it would turn out perfect, your soaps are fantastic looking!!

hehe thanks for the encouragement...now i may HAVE to try one!!

:)

let me know how the bar turns out!!! i would love to know !!! and let me know his opinion on it as well!! :)

Ok, reading up on the net, it doesn't really matter how much salt I add, they all will become smooth as glass after the first use? That's okay too. i can't wait to try it!

Hmm..... you're using percentages for the oils, and a hard measurement for the salt.

16 oz of salt combined with how many ounces of oils exactly?

I just made my first salt bar a few weeks ago and it turned out wonderfully! I love it!

One piece of advice I would give is to cut it within a couple of hours or it will get so hard you won't be able to cut it later. I cut mine an hour and a half after pouring it. It hardened up super fast....

Good luck and have fun! :)

I was going to stick it in a warm oven (150), with the heat turned off, & check it every 10 minutes until firm enough to cut. Did you color your soap? I'm new to coloring too, so I'm a bit nervous about that.

Made my second batch of salt bars this afternoon, this works for me

75% Coconut
18% Safflower
3% Castor
4% Shea
50% salt to oils

Cut just a little over an hour after pour, soap still hot, totally gelled, not much crumbling. Great lather with this recipe.

Sounds nice, but safflower won't lather much (if at all) in the presence of that much salt. Coconut is pretty unique in that capacity.

Here's my update: I made the soap this afternoon. It did go to thick trace fast! I didn't have any problems with it though, poured into the mold fine & I was able to smooth it. I must have had some oil on my hands, I spilled my mix of liquid colorant, had to clean that up before I did anything else, so my soap is a very light green instead of a darker green that I was looking for, but that's ok.

Also, I didn't readjust my mold from when I cut back from 16 oz of salt to 12 oz, so my bars are rather thin, I thought they would be much thicker, but again, that's ok.

I put the soap in the oven, which I had preheated to 150, I took it out within 1/2 hr and immediately cut it, it cut really nice. Oh, my oil & lye was right at 80 degrees when I started it.

Now, with cleanup I did have a lot of suds, & I did like the way the soap felt. A while later though I thought my hands were feeling a bit dry, I don't know if that's from the soap, or just because I was in water so much today.

I will try the soap in a few days & report back on my thoughts about it. If it's too drying, I will try mamaT's recipe next time.

Barefoot

I've been dying to try a salt bar, and, despite the fact that I am still overburdened with soap even though I gave away about 2 or 3 dozen bars last month, I made a batch today. After doing tons of reading on various forums (fora?), I decided not to go with 100% coconut since I don't love coconut. So the recipe is 75% coconut, with the balance of the oils being made up of olive, castor and cocoa butter. For the liquid, I used 1/2 coconut milk and 1/2 water. Superfat 5%.

I cut it at about 1 3/4 hours - still very warm easy to cut with absolutely no crumbling. Didn't gel, which I hope won't be a problem. Smells delish: manuka, patchouli and vetiver. Nice off-white colour. Can't wait to try it out!

Did you put it in a warm oven, or just let it sit out? Mine never got really hot, but I just checked it, and it is really hard, it certainly seems all right.
Why did you use coconut milk for the liquid? I've never used coconut milk & am unfamiliar with the benefits of it. I would love to try a goats milk salt bar, that would probably be an awesome bar.

Barefoot

Latest posts

Back