HELP! Need a fragrance suggestions for CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@cerelife Have you made CP with BB's Sea Moss? I have a small bottle I keep for things other than soap because I love it and used to use it when I made M&P. But I have heard the acceleration and ricing in CP is out of control so haven't wanted to even test it.

I soap at 1 oz PPO and my soaps are shrink wrapped at 6-8 weeks, so take that into consideration.

NG
Bite Me
Narcissist
Green Irish Tweed

Bite Me sticks well in soap. Renamed it to Cherry Limeade for my customers (they prefer names that describe the scent).
Narcissist is very light and fades out after 6 mos. I like this one in B&B products as it holds there.
Also from NG: Dark Musk, The Perfect Man, Cracklin Birch. I have used Werewolf in beer soap but it gave me difficulties, I haven't tried it in a regular soap yet. The scent was well received by the brewery customers though and they sold 18 bars in two weeks.

WSP
Nag Champa
Iced Tea Twist
Rose Garden
Carribean Coconut
Sweet Honeysuckle
Lemongrass Sage
Mango Papaya

Nag Champa is the best hands down. I just sold my last bar from a batch made 18 mos ago, and the customer said it was still "like new" (the only scent this guy buys from me, so I consider him an "expert" lol).
Iced Tea Twist holds really well, that's another one that I made 18 mos ago that is still holding perfectly.
Mango Papaya is good but doesn't hold well past 8 mos. Be aware that if you mix this FO with another FO it will seize. I've mixed with 3 other FO's, all well behaved FO's, and it was not fun every.single.time. (But smells dang good mixed at 2:1 with WSP Summer Ale FO, so I'm suffering through with that FO combo.)
As long as you're buying from WSP, True Lilac is hands down the.best.lilac.ever. I can't keep it in stock. Sea Salt & Driftwood decelerates trace so it's beautiful to work with and sticks (going on 3 years for the bar my hubby just put into the shower).

When I shop for FO's, I read all of the supplier notes and then read through three years of reviews, then I come check the forum FO chart. :D It has saved me from a lot of bad decisions.

My daughter and I loved Soapy Clean from Bramblerry, but sadly they no longer seem to carry it.

Oh no! Dang, I'm really bummed! Everyone in my family loved that one. I guess I'll be rationing my remaining pound down to the very last drop. :(

IrishLass :(

@Cellador

I heard back from BB about the grapefruit Lily scent.. They said

"The reason it is not recommended is because it accelerates your trace in cold process soaps.
It is still fine to use and holds its scent well but it can be hard to work with for new soapers.

Hope this helps explain!

- Chloe"

I went ahead and summarized the recommendations thus far . FYI: Bramble Berry just put their Christmas Fragrances on sale AND I DON'T SEE any Christmas Fragrances, SUPER LONG LASTING, Christmas Fragrance recommendations being made for BB.

Bramble Berry (BB)
- Black Amber and Lavender, Crisp Apple Rose, Fresh Mango, Fresh Snow, Grapefruit Lily, Lemon Verbena, Peach Prosecco, Pink Grapefruit, Sea Moss,

Candle Science (CS) - Oakmoss & Amber, Lavender FO, Apple Harvest

Day Star (DS)
- Milk Sugar Kisses, Toffee Sugar Crunch, Paradise, Salty Sailor (accelerates), Woods and Bitter Coffee

Fragrance Buddy (FB) - Citrus Tree, Flying Fox (Jasmin Showers), Leaves, Imogen Rose (Rose Goddess), Karma dupe (Life Lessons I think it's called), Sultana (Prince Showers), Sweet Orange and Chili Pepper, Weather Vane, White Tea and Ginger,

Lone Star (LS) - Love Spell type, Pink Chiffon

Mad Oils (now Arizona Mad Oils) – Elderflower, Wild Hyacinth, Velvet Peppercorn

Nature's Garden (NG)
- Anjou Pear Blossom, Bamboo White Grapefruit, Baby Bee, Bayberry, Bite Me, Cracklin Birch, Dark Musk,
Elf Sweat, Green Irish Tweed, Lemon Sugar, Mango Sorbet, Nag Champa, Pumpkin Apple Butter, The Perfect Man,
Ruby Red Grapefruit, Satsuma, & Sweet Orange Chili Pepper,

Nurture Soap -, Awaken, Black Raspberry Vanilla, Earth Meets Sky, Flame Tree, Paramour

Pure Fragrance
- Dragon's Blood, Green Clover & Aloe, Downey Fresh, Raspberry Truffle, Wild Mountain Honey

Rustic Escentuals (ES)
- Redwood, Satsuma, London Fog, Lemon Verbena, Hippie Chick, Tuscan Fields, Heavenly Honeysuckle
Blue Skies, Oud Wood

Sweetcakes -
Lilac is amazing, Yuzu, Sandalwood.

Wholesale Supplies PLUS (WSP) – Caribbean Coconut, Frankincense, Ice Tea Twist, Lemongrass Sage, Mango Papaya,
Nag Champa, Rose Garden, Sea Salt & Driftwood, Sweet Honeysuckle, True Lilac

I want to take a minute to specifically say THANK YOU for taking the time to post your experiences with these fragrances. Thank you for sharing with me. I appreciate the usage notes and the fragrance behavior warnings. Thanks for being so gracious in the sharing of your knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will tell you what happens to the Apricot Freesia IF YOU DON'T AVOID the GEL .. It morphs into a Lysol Wipes scent!
There is no rebatching it either! It is strong and lasts FOREVER! I had to throw the whole loaf away!

good to know about the apricot freesia--I made some in HP soap and it is wonderful smelling and seems to be holding its scent

One more Fragrance Buddy is Citrus Bath. It is like a sugared citrus to my nose and crazy strong - will easily last a year. I second Sweet Cakes Sandalwood. Also from Sweet Cakes Naran Ji and Orange Blossom (I blend them, but both are nice on their own).

@Zany_in_CODon't get me started girl!
:lol: Laughing so hard I almost fell off my rocking chair! You're going to fit right in here. A bit on the cranky side, tho. (Just teasin' ya!)
I had to throw the whole loaf away!
Tsk tsk. As many members will tell you -- you may not like a scent, but there always seems to be someone who likes it well enough to take the whole batch.
I'd also advise you to not be so quick to judging a scent... CP does take longer to reach its full potential, unlike MP that has the advantage of "instant gratification". Patience, grasshopper. ;)
I want to take a minute to specifically say THANK YOU for taking the time to post your experiences with these fragrances.
Thank you, math ace, for starting this thread! Great Topic!

Should be a Sticky and left open for future posts.

Last edited:
Pumpkin Soufflé from BB lasts forever! Have some soaps over 2 years old. It’s nutty so I don’t love it but it sticks. Lavender chamomile is to die for! Love it and I have bars over a year old that smells great.

These I soap at 0.5 oz ppo:

RE
Heavenly Honeysuckle
Blue Skies
Oud Wood

Peak
Raspberry Truffle
Green Clover & Aloe
Downey Fresh
Wild Mountain Honey

WSP
Iced Tea Twist
Sweet Honeysuckle

Everything else I soap at 1 oz ppo.

BTW - The following FOs accelerate like crazy!! They’re boogers to work with but they smell so good and stick so well that I feel like they’re worth the trouble. I use a high lard recipe to slow things down and soap cool with no water discount. I add the FO to my room temperature oils along with a single color and stick blend it together before I add my lye water. Then I hand stir with a spatula just long enough to get everything well blended and pour it into my log mold. You have to work fast with these, but they are certainly ‘do-able’ in CP!!

BB
Sea Moss

Daystar
Salty Sailor

Fragrance Buddy
Flying Fox (Jasmin Showers)
Sultana (Prince Showers)

Oh, and I soap most florals and any FO that smells to me like it's going 'finicky' in a high lard recipe just to slow things down!

@cerelife

I am so glad you came back and posted the additional information about the Ice Tea Twist Fragrance. I looked at this fragrance last night and had "Sticker Price Shock"
4.gif
at $10 for the 2 ounce bottle. I feel better about trying the scent if a .5 oz ppo application works.

Plus, knowing that it isn't a PAIN to work with makes it worth an surcharge.

@cerelife

Can you describe that Wild Mountain Honey fragrance? I am one of those people who do not appreciate the very popular scent of Oatmeal, Milk, and Honey. I do not know which part of that scent (Oatmeal, Milk, or Honey aspects) turns me off, but something does. How similar is the Wild Mountain Honey to the Oatmeal, Milk & Honey fragrance?
I'm another one who just doesn't care for OMH fragrances - they always smell like play-doh to me! Peak's Wild Mountain Honey is a very authentic raw wildflower honey scent to my nose. OOB and in the cured soap it smells very much like the raw honey from my uncle's apiary in North Georgia. So to answer your question: it smells NOTHING like OMH fragrances!!

@cerelife Have you made CP with BB's Sea Moss? I have a small bottle I keep for things other than soap because I love it and used to use it when I made M&P. But I have heard the acceleration and ricing in CP is out of control so haven't wanted to even test it.
Yep, this one accelerates like crazy in CP!! But I've never had it rice on me yet, and I make this one pretty often because I have a customer who buys 20 bars at time!
I mentioned my technique for these booger FOs in the post above so I won't bore you again with the details, but it's perfectly do-able and makes a lovely soap :)

Oh no! Dang, I'm really bummed! Everyone in my family loved that one. I guess I'll be rationing my remaining pound down to the very last drop. :(

IrishLass :(
Do you think the sweet lady from Nurture would be willing to make a dupe? I've got enough to send her some...

PEAK Fragrances: That Wild Mountain Honey fragrance is calling my name!
I checked PEAK's shipping rates and it looks like $7 for the first $200. That is a very fair price for shipping!
They carry the 1 ounce sample size which is PERFECT for me in my testing stage.

Are there any MORE RECOMMENDATIONS for fragrances from PEAK that last at least 6 months?

On the list right now are:
Peak
Raspberry Truffle
Green Clover & Aloe
Downey Fresh
Wild Mountain Honey

I had a mistake in my earlier post, post # 30, so I am posting the corrected list.

Also, Still looking for long lasting Christmas Fragrance Recommendations.
FYI: Bramble Berry just put their Christmas Fragrances on sale.

Bramble Berry (BB) -
Black Amber and Lavender, Crisp Apple Rose, Fresh Mango, Fresh Snow, Grapefruit Lily,
Lavender chamomile, Lemon Verbena, Peach Prosecco, Pink Grapefruit, Sea Moss, Pumpkin Soufflé

Candle Science (CS) -
Oakmoss & Amber, Lavender FO, Apple Harvest

Day Star (DS)
-
Milk Sugar Kisses, Toffee Sugar Crunch, Paradise, Salty Sailor (accelerates), Woods and Bitter Coffee

Fragrance Buddy (FB) –
Citrus Bath, Citrus Tree, Flying Fox (Jasmin Showers), Leaves, Imogen Rose (Rose Goddess),
Karma dupe (Life Lessons I think it's called), Sultana (Prince Showers), Sweet Orange and Chili Pepper, Weather Vane,
White Tea and Ginger,

Lone Star (LS) -
Love Spell type, Pink Chiffon

Mad Oils (now Arizona Mad Oils) –
Elderflower, Wild Hyacinth, Velvet Peppercorn

Nature's Garden (NG)
-
Anjou Pear Blossom, Bamboo White Grapefruit, Baby Bee, Bayberry, Bite Me (smells like Cherry Limeade), Cracklin Birch, Dark Musk, Elf Sweat, Green Irish Tweed, Lemon Sugar, Mango Sorbet, Nag Champa, Pumpkin Apple Butter, The Perfect Man, Ruby Red Grapefruit, Satsuma, & Sweet Orange Chili Pepper,

Nurture Soap - Awaken, Black Raspberry Vanilla, Earth Meets Sky, Flame Tree, Paramour

Pure Fragrance
-
Dragon's Blood

PEAK Fragrance -
Green Clover & Aloe, Downey Fresh, Raspberry Truffle, Wild Mountain Honey

Rustic Escentuals (ES) -
Redwood, Satsuma, London Fog, Lemon Verbena, Hippie Chick, Tuscan Fields,
Heavenly Honeysuckle, Blue Skies, Oud Wood

Sweetcakes -
Lilac, Naran Ji , Orange Blossom, Sandalwood, Yuzu,

Wholesale Supplies PLUS (WSP)
Caribbean Coconut, Frankincense, Ice Tea Twist, Lemongrass Sage, Mango Papaya,
Nag Champa, Rose Garden, Sea Salt & Driftwood, Sweet Honeysuckle, True Lilac

Also, Are there any good long lasting Honeydew or Melon Fragrances?

Here's the deal - I am new to CP soap making. I've been making M&P soap for years, but just branched into CP soap making this year. The first thing I discovered with CP soap is that the fragrances can disappear or morph or cause the batter to seize. I QUICKLY learned that I need to make test bars of a fragrance before committing pounds of soap to a fragrance that doesn't make it through the cure period!

I've searched the fragrance review chart AND contributed my own personal experiences to it! I've searched the forum itself. Most of the threads that had fragrance recommendations are older (2014 - 2017). I know a lot of reformulations on the scents have been made over the last couple of years and that could effect an old recommendation.

I've ordered from Bramble Berry, Candle Science, Rustic Escentuals, and Micas and More.
I've tested about 50 Fragrances so far. I had a lot of $1 samples from Candle Science and Rustic Escentuals LOL . I started doing the testing 2 months ago. So far, I can testify that the following scents do last at least 2 months:
BB - Sweet Cranberry
RE - Honeydew, Barbershop 1920's, & Lemon Sugar Bundt Cake
CS - White Tea & Berries

I'm out of fragrance samples! I don't want to invest any more money in trying scents that don't have a proven track record in CP soap. I want fragrances that last at least 6 months! It will be another 5 months before I know which of my 50 samples are going to last that long. Honestly, many did not make it pass the 1 month mark!

I make soap every couple of months. It is a crafting outlet for me. All this testing is more like work than crafting and it is stealing the joy from my soul! I am close to tucking my tail and running back to melt and pour for some soul satisfying crafting time. PLEASE, SHARE your recommendations for fragrances that last over 6 months in CP soap.
I am new to soaping, as well. I started in January and I’ve done only CP soaps. I’ve had the same experience. You can go to the fragrance calc on Brambleberry and it will tell you how much of the different scents you need per lb of oils. I have experimented enough to know that many citrus oils do not hike fragrance well in CP soaps. To combat this, I have mixed my citrus scents with a bit of kaolin clay and have had success in anchoring the scent. Also, I like to use a bit of clove or cinnamon with my citrus scents and that is a nice combination. I particularly like the sweet orange essential oil mixed with a bit of clove oil.
I have also learned the hard way that many florals will seize. I had a batch of Gardenia that seized on me and no matter what you do, you cannot make that stuff pretty! I melted it down and remolded it, cut it into pieces and made a mosaic with it! It still wouldn’t be something I’d gift to anyone other than close family who just love Gardenia!!! (My sister!!)
Some people don’t like kaolin clay because they say it dries the skin but I have not found that to be so. I’ve used a teaspoon in
I soap at 1 oz PPO and my soaps are shrink wrapped at 6-8 weeks, so take that into consideration.

Bite Me sticks well in soap. Renamed it to Cherry Limeade for my customers (they prefer names that describe the scent).
Narcissist is very light and fades out after 6 mos. I like this one in B&B products as it holds there.
Also from NG: Dark Musk, The Perfect Man, Cracklin Birch. I have used Werewolf in beer soap but it gave me difficulties, I haven't tried it in a regular soap yet. The scent was well received by the brewery customers though and they sold 18 bars in two weeks.

Nag Champa is the best hands down. I just sold my last bar from a batch made 18 mos ago, and the customer said it was still "like new" (the only scent this guy buys from me, so I consider him an "expert" lol).
Iced Tea Twist holds really well, that's another one that I made 18 mos ago that is still holding perfectly.
Mango Papaya is good but doesn't hold well past 8 mos. Be aware that if you mix this FO with another FO it will seize. I've mixed with 3 other FO's, all well behaved FO's, and it was not fun every.single.time. (But smells dang good mixed at 2:1 with WSP Summer Ale FO, so I'm suffering through with that FO combo.)
As long as you're buying from WSP, True Lilac is hands down the.best.lilac.ever. I can't keep it in stock. Sea Salt & Driftwood decelerates trace so it's beautiful to work with and sticks (going on 3 years for the bar my hubby just put into the shower).

When I shop for FO's, I read all of the supplier notes and then read through three years of reviews, then I come check the forum FO chart. :D It has saved me from a lot of bad decisions.
Musk is really nice ice and sticks well. I think I got it from BB.

PEAK Fragrances: That Wild Mountain Honey fragrance is calling my name!
I checked PEAK's shipping rates and it looks like $7 for the first $200. That is a very fair price for shipping!
They carry the 1 ounce sample size which is PERFECT for me in my testing stage.

Are there any MORE RECOMMENDATIONS for fragrances from PEAK that last at least 6 months?

On the list right now are:
Peak
Raspberry Truffle
Green Clover & Aloe
Downey Fresh
Wild Mountain Honey

Yep- Wild Mountain Honey, for sure! I use this in my beeswax/honey soap only a mere piddly .3 oz. ppo- just enough to give it a light 'natural' honey scent, and it lasts and lasts. I can only imagine the powerhouse it would be at .75 oz. ppo (the normal usage rate I use for most of my FOs)

Other Peak FOs that last for me:

Black Raspberry Vanilla
Twilight Woods
Bartlet Pear
Bayberry
Green Clover & Aloe
Love Spell
Mullberry
Sunflower
Sweet Pea

Some more of my favorite 'stickers' from other vendors:

From Daystar (forgot to mention these in my earlier post):
Blooming Violets
Milk Sugar Kisses

From WSP:
Sugared Spruce
Dragonsblood
Green Tea & Cucumber
Iced Tea Twist
Mango Sorbet
Midummer's Night
Sun & Sand

From SweetCakes:
Santa's Pipe
Clean for Men
Cucumber Melon
Mango Tea
Northwoods
Orange Blossom
True Rose
Lilac

From MMS (Majestic Mountain Sage):
Intense Almond
Gingermilk
Plumaria
Love Spell
Relaxation
Tassie Lavender

From Soapalooza:
Bosa Nova
Tassie Lavender

From Brambleberry:
Cedar & Saffron
Kentish Rain

Oregon Soap Supplies:
Green Irish Tweed
Jasmine Yin Hao
Mediterranean Sea Salt
Old Spice
Spiced Plum

IrishLass :)

If you check the Soap Scent Review Board there is a list of fragrances that "stick", also ones that have a history of fading.
Not sure how current it is, but may be helpful.

Comfort and Joy, Jeweled Fir and Peace and Love from NS are really nice and seem to be holding well.
I love the Australian Bamboo Grass from Ng, it's still going strong in my salt bars. :)

If you check the Soap Scent Review Board there is a list of fragrances that "stick", also ones that have a history of fading.
Not sure how current it is, but may be helpful.

Hello Donna,
Thanks for the suggestion. On the opening post, I stated that I have already scoured the fragrance review chart and used the search engine in general. The problem occurs with the general terms "sticks" or "sticks & lasts". I have had a few scents in my experiment make it through the 6 week cure period, but then started fading. By the end of the 3 rd month, the scent had totally disappeared. So, I am specifying on this thread scents that have lasted at least 6 months.

The amount of information the members have contributed to this thread is amazing! I've got two shopping carts going with new vendors right now. This may become the post expensive thread that I've ever started on ANY Forum LOL.

Comfort and Joy, Jeweled Fir and Peace and Love from NS are really nice and seem to be holding well.
I love the Australian Bamboo Grass from Ng, it's still going strong in my salt bars. :)

@scard
How old are your Comfort and Joy, Jeweled Fir and Peace and Love bars? Has the scent made it pass the 6 month mark?

Winter Wonderland from Nurture is one of my favorites. A lot of people say it is Christmas, but I use it year round. Strong and definitely lasts longer than 6 months. I have one bar of Three Wise Men from WSP that I made nearly a year ago that still smells acceptably strong. Applejack and Peel is one I used during my first year of soaping and it was too strong. I had to put it away for months before I wanted to use it. I’m pretty sure I got that one from WSP. Combinations of orange and clove are also popular during the holidays.

@IrishLass

That is a lot of fragrance! I think you are an enabler!
FYI: Peak is out of stock with about 1/2 of your last list, including the Wild Mountain Honey.
I sent them an email about ETA for the Wild Mountain Honey.

@dibbles
Thanks for the Holiday fragrance recommendations. I added them to the list.
Speaking of Apple Jack & Peel, on an old thread, I spotted someone recommending Peak's for a good sticking FO. They didn't specify how long it lasted. The reviews for the WSP Apple Jack & Peel were mixed on the fragrance review chart. I wonder if WSP Apple Jack & Peel has been reformulated because the reviewers were using 6% FO, but the recommended max is now only 4.2%.

@math ace applejack may very well have been reformulated. I haven’t bought more, and it was probably 4 years ago. 4.2% would have been plenty strong with the FO I had, and I do like my soaps to be strongly scented.

Latest posts

Back