HELP! Need a fragrance suggestions for CP soap

Discussion in 'Fragrance Oils/Fragrance reviews' started by math ace, Jul 10, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jul 11, 2019 #21

cerelife

cerelife

cerelife

Ok, so I went through my soaping notes for the last seven years (before that they're all handwritten and I'm too lazy to go find them), and these are the FOs that stand out to me for having retained a medium to strong scent at the 1 year mark. BTW, I have a bar from my very first batch of soap about 10 years ago using BB's Vanilla Vanilla and it STILL smells amazing!!!

ETA: I forgot that BB no longer carries Soapy Clean FO (and I should because I bought a few pounds of it when they discontinued it!), and when I checked the other FOs it seems that they no longer offer Vanilla Vanilla either - Very sad, since these were great FO's :( I still have a few pounds of both, so maybe Nurture could make dupes of them?

RE
    Heavenly Honeysuckle
    Blue Skies
    Oud Wood

Peak
    Raspberry Truffle
    Green Clover & Aloe
    Downey Fresh
    Wild Mountain Honey

NG
    Bite Me
    Narcissist
    Green Irish Tweed

BB
    Black Amber and Lavender
    Vanilla Vanilla
    Sea Moss
    Fresh Snow
    Crisp Apple Rose
    Soapy Clean

WSP
    Nag Champa
    Iced Tea Twist
    Rose Garden
    Carribean Coconut
    Sweet Honeysuckle
    Lemongrass Sage
    Mango Papaya

Daystar
    Milk Sugar Kisses
    Paradise
    Salty Sailor
    Woods and Bitter Coffee
    Toffee Sugar Crunch

Fragrance Buddy
    Sweet Orange and Chili Pepper
    Flying Fox (Jasmin Showers)
    Sultana (Prince Showers)
    Citrus Tree
    Weather Vane
    Imogen Rose (Rose Goddess)

Mad Oils (now Arizona Mad Oils)
    Velvet Peppercorn
    Elderflower
    Wild Hyacinth

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Cellador likes this.
  2. Jul 11, 2019 #22

math ace

math ace

math ace

@msunnerstood
    Do you have any specific recommendations for FB scents that you have tried that have lasted at least 6 months in cp soap?

3. Jul 11, 2019 #23

math ace

math ace

math ace

:dance::dance: I bought the Vanilla Vanilla when it went on clearance a couple of months ago! I have a sample bar of it curing now. Totally AWESOME that this scent should be a WINNER ,WINNER, Chicken Dinner! :dance::dance:

cerelife and Zany_in_CO like this.
  4. Jul 11, 2019 #24

math ace

math ace

math ace

@cerelife

Can you describe that Wild Mountain Honey fragrance? I am one of those people who do not appreciate the very popular scent of Oatmeal, Milk, and Honey. I do not know which part of that scent (Oatmeal, Milk, or Honey aspects) turns me off, but something does. How similar is the Wild Mountain Honey to the Oatmeal, Milk & Honey fragrance?

5. Jul 11, 2019 #25

Cellador

Cellador

Cellador

Umm, I just did a one pound tester of it. I always soap cool and hand mix my FOs. All that being said, it did accelerate but not instant-seize type acceleration. No ricing or discoloration. So, not bad for a strong floral-just keep designs simple.

6. Jul 11, 2019 #26

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

@cerelife Have you made CP with BB's Sea Moss? I have a small bottle I keep for things other than soap because I love it and used to use it when I made M&P. But I have heard the acceleration and ricing in CP is out of control so haven't wanted to even test it.

7. Jul 11, 2019 #27

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

I soap at 1 oz PPO and my soaps are shrink wrapped at 6-8 weeks, so take that into consideration.

Bite Me sticks well in soap. Renamed it to Cherry Limeade for my customers (they prefer names that describe the scent).
    Narcissist is very light and fades out after 6 mos. I like this one in B&B products as it holds there.
    Also from NG: Dark Musk, The Perfect Man, Cracklin Birch. I have used Werewolf in beer soap but it gave me difficulties, I haven't tried it in a regular soap yet. The scent was well received by the brewery customers though and they sold 18 bars in two weeks.

Nag Champa is the best hands down. I just sold my last bar from a batch made 18 mos ago, and the customer said it was still "like new" (the only scent this guy buys from me, so I consider him an "expert" lol).
    Iced Tea Twist holds really well, that's another one that I made 18 mos ago that is still holding perfectly.
    Mango Papaya is good but doesn't hold well past 8 mos. Be aware that if you mix this FO with another FO it will seize. I've mixed with 3 other FO's, all well behaved FO's, and it was not fun every.single.time. (But smells dang good mixed at 2:1 with WSP Summer Ale FO, so I'm suffering through with that FO combo.)
    As long as you're buying from WSP, True Lilac is hands down the.best.lilac.ever. I can't keep it in stock. Sea Salt & Driftwood decelerates trace so it's beautiful to work with and sticks (going on 3 years for the bar my hubby just put into the shower).

When I shop for FO's, I read all of the supplier notes and then read through three years of reviews, then I come check the forum FO chart. :D It has saved me from a lot of bad decisions.

8. Jul 11, 2019 #28

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

Oh no! Dang, I'm really bummed! Everyone in my family loved that one. I guess I'll be rationing my remaining pound down to the very last drop. :(

IrishLass :(

9. Jul 11, 2019 #29

math ace

math ace

math ace

@Cellador

I heard back from BB about the grapefruit Lily scent.. They said

"The reason it is not recommended is because it accelerates your trace in cold process soaps.
    It is still fine to use and holds its scent well but it can be hard to work with for new soapers.

Hope this helps explain!

- Chloe"

10. Jul 11, 2019 #30

math ace

math ace

math ace

I went ahead and summarized the recommendations thus far . FYI: Bramble Berry just put their Christmas Fragrances on sale AND I DON'T SEE any Christmas Fragrances, SUPER LONG LASTING, Christmas Fragrance recommendations being made for BB.

Bramble Berry (BB)
    - Black Amber and Lavender, Crisp Apple Rose, Fresh Mango, Fresh Snow, Grapefruit Lily, Lemon Verbena, Peach Prosecco, Pink Grapefruit, Sea Moss,

Candle Science (CS) - Oakmoss & Amber, Lavender FO, Apple Harvest

Day Star (DS)
    - Milk Sugar Kisses, Toffee Sugar Crunch, Paradise, Salty Sailor (accelerates), Woods and Bitter Coffee

Fragrance Buddy (FB) - Citrus Tree, Flying Fox (Jasmin Showers), Leaves, Imogen Rose (Rose Goddess), Karma dupe (Life Lessons I think it's called), Sultana (Prince Showers), Sweet Orange and Chili Pepper, Weather Vane, White Tea and Ginger,

Lone Star (LS) - Love Spell type, Pink Chiffon

Mad Oils (now Arizona Mad Oils) – Elderflower, Wild Hyacinth, Velvet Peppercorn

Nature's Garden (NG)
    - Anjou Pear Blossom, Bamboo White Grapefruit, Baby Bee, Bayberry, Bite Me, Cracklin Birch, Dark Musk,
    Elf Sweat, Green Irish Tweed, Lemon Sugar, Mango Sorbet, Nag Champa, Pumpkin Apple Butter, The Perfect Man,
    Ruby Red Grapefruit, Satsuma, & Sweet Orange Chili Pepper,

Nurture Soap -, Awaken, Black Raspberry Vanilla, Earth Meets Sky, Flame Tree, Paramour

Pure Fragrance
    - Dragon's Blood, Green Clover & Aloe, Downey Fresh, Raspberry Truffle, Wild Mountain Honey

Rustic Escentuals (ES)
    - Redwood, Satsuma, London Fog, Lemon Verbena, Hippie Chick, Tuscan Fields, Heavenly Honeysuckle
    Blue Skies, Oud Wood

Sweetcakes -
    Lilac is amazing, Yuzu, Sandalwood.

Wholesale Supplies PLUS (WSP) – Caribbean Coconut, Frankincense, Ice Tea Twist, Lemongrass Sage, Mango Papaya,
    Nag Champa, Rose Garden, Sea Salt & Driftwood, Sweet Honeysuckle, True Lilac

11. Jul 11, 2019 #31

math ace

math ace

math ace

I want to take a minute to specifically say THANK YOU for taking the time to post your experiences with these fragrances. Thank you for sharing with me. I appreciate the usage notes and the fragrance behavior warnings. Thanks for being so gracious in the sharing of your knowledge.

GmaK, cerelife and Cellador like this.
  12. Jul 11, 2019 #32

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

good to know about the apricot freesia--I made some in HP soap and it is wonderful smelling and seems to be holding its scent

13. Jul 11, 2019 #33

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

One more Fragrance Buddy is Citrus Bath. It is like a sugared citrus to my nose and crazy strong - will easily last a year. I second Sweet Cakes Sandalwood. Also from Sweet Cakes Naran Ji and Orange Blossom (I blend them, but both are nice on their own).

14. Jul 11, 2019 #34

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

:lol: Laughing so hard I almost fell off my rocking chair! You're going to fit right in here. A bit on the cranky side, tho. (Just teasin' ya!)
    Tsk tsk. As many members will tell you -- you may not like a scent, but there always seems to be someone who likes it well enough to take the whole batch.
    I'd also advise you to not be so quick to judging a scent... CP does take longer to reach its full potential, unlike MP that has the advantage of "instant gratification". Patience, grasshopper. ;)
    Thank you, math ace, for starting this thread! Great Topic!

Should be a Sticky and left open for future posts.

Mobjack Bay and Cellador like this.
  15. Jul 12, 2019 #35

Saponificarian

Saponificarian

Saponificarian

Pumpkin Soufflé from BB lasts forever! Have some soaps over 2 years old. It’s nutty so I don’t love it but it sticks. Lavender chamomile is to die for! Love it and I have bars over a year old that smells great.

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  16. Jul 12, 2019 #36

cerelife

cerelife

cerelife

These I soap at 0.5 oz ppo:

RE
    Heavenly Honeysuckle
    Blue Skies
    Oud Wood

Peak
    Raspberry Truffle
    Green Clover & Aloe
    Downey Fresh
    Wild Mountain Honey

WSP
    Iced Tea Twist
    Sweet Honeysuckle

Everything else I soap at 1 oz ppo.

BTW - The following FOs accelerate like crazy!! They’re boogers to work with but they smell so good and stick so well that I feel like they’re worth the trouble. I use a high lard recipe to slow things down and soap cool with no water discount. I add the FO to my room temperature oils along with a single color and stick blend it together before I add my lye water. Then I hand stir with a spatula just long enough to get everything well blended and pour it into my log mold. You have to work fast with these, but they are certainly ‘do-able’ in CP!!

BB
    Sea Moss

Daystar
    Salty Sailor

Fragrance Buddy
    Flying Fox (Jasmin Showers)
    Sultana (Prince Showers)

Oh, and I soap most florals and any FO that smells to me like it's going 'finicky' in a high lard recipe just to slow things down!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Zany_in_CO and Cellador like this.
  17. Jul 12, 2019 #37

cerelife

cerelife

cerelife

I'm another one who just doesn't care for OMH fragrances - they always smell like play-doh to me! Peak's Wild Mountain Honey is a very authentic raw wildflower honey scent to my nose. OOB and in the cured soap it smells very much like the raw honey from my uncle's apiary in North Georgia. So to answer your question: it smells NOTHING like OMH fragrances!!

18. Jul 12, 2019 #38

cerelife

cerelife

cerelife

Yep, this one accelerates like crazy in CP!! But I've never had it rice on me yet, and I make this one pretty often because I have a customer who buys 20 bars at time!
    I mentioned my technique for these booger FOs in the post above so I won't bore you again with the details, but it's perfectly do-able and makes a lovely soap :)

dibbles likes this.
  19. Jul 12, 2019 #39

cerelife

cerelife

cerelife

Do you think the sweet lady from Nurture would be willing to make a dupe? I've got enough to send her some...

20. Jul 12, 2019 #40

math ace

math ace

math ace

@cerelife

I am so glad you came back and posted the additional information about the Ice Tea Twist Fragrance. I looked at this fragrance last night and had "Sticker Price Shock" [​IMG] at $10 for the 2 ounce bottle. I feel better about trying the scent if a .5 oz ppo application works.

Plus, knowing that it isn't a PAIN to work with makes it worth an surcharge.

cerelife likes this.