Help!!Forgot to add an oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alabama49

Reaction score
I forgot to add my olive oil to my batch. Should I take it out of the mold & add it now? Just poured it about 30 min. ago. I was suppose to have 32 oz of oils so I guess it will very lye heavy won't it? Can someone help me with suggestions Please!!

What % is the olive oil to the whole batch? How much superfat did you do?

If the olive oil is only a small % of the total and you had a higher superfat, you may be ok.

If the olive oil is a large % of the total oils, take it out of the mold, grate it or chop it up, please wear gloves if you are touching the soap, add the olive oil and hot process it in a crock pot. It may not look like you wanted it to but it will be usable. I did this to a beautiful purple ball soap with a white background. I realized I misread the recipe and was short by 10 oz of oil...it was only a 28 oz batch total so it was a big difference. I had to chop it, add the oil and do the same.

alabama49 said:
I forgot to add my olive oil to my batch. Should I take it out of the mold & add it now? Just poured it about 30 min. ago. I was suppose to have 32 oz of oils so I guess it will very lye heavy won't it? Can someone help me with suggestions Please!!

I did the exact same thing last night!! I was making a HP batch and.... during the gel phase I realized I forgot one of my oils. It was 4% and I had a 7% superfat. I decided to see what would happen if I added the oil at that stage anyway..... so I did. The soap is WAY to soft. :cry: I should have just left it alone.. I would still have had 3% SF.

Scentapy said:
alabama49 said:

I did the exact same thing last night!! I was making a HP batch and.... during the gel phase I realized I forgot one of my oils. It was 4% and I had a 7% superfat. I decided to see what would happen if I added the oil at that stage anyway..... so I did. The soap is WAY to soft. :cry: I should have just left it alone.. I would still have had 3% SF.
Depending on the size of your batch, that 3% superfat might be very drying. Also, SAP is a value range, so it can vary from oil to oil and batch to batch.

Scentapy said:
alabama49 said:

If it's truly super fat - which it sounds like it was since without you still had a 3% SF, then it shouldn't matter when in process you added the excess. I'm concerned that nit was very soft. Care to share your formula with exact amounts including water?

Back