spring '24 goats milk lemon soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It took me forever to work on this
what about the lye section what does all that mean and which one is chosen and why?

the fragrance supplier?
https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/lemon-verbena-fragrance-oil.aspx
it will take me numerous hours to figure how much to use
I was hoping someone anyone would say use 1.50 lemon
but not that easy

the fragrance supplier?
https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/lemon-verbena-fragrance-oil.aspx
it will take me numerous hours to figure how much to use
I was hoping someone anyone would say use 1.50 lemon
but not sure
I think I have 68 total of stuff
the wholesalesupplies fragrance calculator gave me nothing
more hours of searching

its as if its to confuse old dumb person such as myself
what is this? nothing-tells me no amount of fragrance to use!

Attachments

• confusing lye.png
    confusing lye.png
    8 KB · Views: 0
  • third time.png
    third time.png
    307.1 KB · Views: 0
  • erx.png
    erx.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 0
Mike, I agree, that calculator seemed useless. Most of us just use lye calculators or figure it out ourself based on maximum safe usage amounts (for the RE lemon verbena it says the maximum safe usage amount for soap is 4.38% as the top limit) and then our own preferences. For someone like me who likes fragrances strong and typically uses 5-6%, I would go to the maximum of 4.38%, so that's what I'd put in the fragrance box in soapcalc, which would then tell me the amount of FO to add.

Another thing that can be helpful is to look at the reviews for a scent, sometimes you'll find people repeatedly saying that an FO is strong or weak, or sticks well or vanishes during cure. Because I have used RE's LV many times I know that it sticks well and is nice and strong. But 1.5% is really very low. Maybe people who like fainter smells will chip in here, but I would imagine most people don't go lower than 3% (I think that's about half an oz per pound of oils)

I used soapcalc.net to fill out your numbers and am cutting and pasting the results below. You MUST figure out a way to use a calculator, you won't be able to make soap without it, you might as well give up right now. There are tutorials for soapcalc, I know, I believe one of them was linked on another of your posts. For other questions, such as the fragrance oil one, I would go to the search symbol/magnifying glass in the top right hand corner here and type in whatever your question is, eg "how much fragrance oil to use", there is an enormous amount of information available on this site if you look for it.

The first screen print is the page you get if you go to soapcalc.net and click "recipe calculator" on the top bar. As I said, I used the numbers you decided on for your soap below so you'd have a model of what it would like/what information goes where. The second print screen is the actual recipe you will use to make your soap. The Explanation discusses why I chose what I entered, ie, what you'll be doing the next time you wanted to create a recipe if you used soapcalc.

1705997267586.png

Explanation of Recipe Calculator above:

For #1/Type of Lye, I left it on NAOH, the default.

For weight of oils, I chose oz and put in 53, your total (I always use grams, it is more precise, but this is a personal preference.)

For #3/Water, I chose lye concentration and put in 30%. That means that your lye liquid will be calculated at 30% lye and 70% water. The lower the lye concentration, the more water will be in the lye liquid, and vice versa. Also the more water you have, the slower the batter will be to come to trace, which is good when you have things that are going to cause faster trace (hard oils, higher temps, honey, milks, certain Fos/EOs) and you want to lessen that speed, or if you want the batter to stay more liquid for longer because you are doing complicated swirls.

30% is a fair amount of water (generally 33% lye concentration is a good sort of average amount, that’s what I usually use because like to do lots of swirls, often recommended for newbies as well) but since you are making a milk soap, which can overheat, I put in a lower lower lye/higher water %.

For #4/Superfat, I put in 5% because that’s what you had on your printout, and left the fragrance amount at .5% oz/lb of oil (the default) because that works out to about 3%, which is what the more moderate FO people use (see my comments in my reply to your post regarding fragrance.)

For #5, just leave it alone, no need to do anything there.

For #6 I added in the oils and amounts you specified in your formula.

For #7 you hit calculate recipe, that will calculate the exact water amount (based on the lye concentration you’ve entered in #3) and lye amount (based on the oils and superfat) that you need in your soap.

Finally you go to right underneath #7 and hit view or print recipe, that will give you the final recipe including the final lye, water, and FO amounts you will be adding based on what you’ve put in when you hit “calculate recipe”. Save and/or print that screen so that you have it work from.
---------------------
Printout of Final Recipe Below

1705996985572.png

Last edited:
oh my goodness thank you so much
It would have taken me forever to get it all together
Now I will order the fragrance and get out to the country and get some goats milk this coming spring
I was going to donate some monies to soapmakingforum.com but there was only a monthly or annual membership upgrade. There was no one time donation available
Thank you again!

help me find another company to purchase a nice lemon fragrance oil I will NOT deal with a company that tacks on a' handling fee' thats code for we just add this fee on because we can!
Thank You!

How about Lemongrass Essential Oil? Holds up much better in Cold Process soap making than Lemon Essential Oil.

help me find another company to purchase a nice lemon fragrance oil I will NOT deal with a company that tacks on a' handling fee' thats code for we just add this fee on because we can!
Thank You!
Many companies will charge a handling fee that pays for shipping materials (boxes, packing materials, etc), others will charge a shipping fee that rolls the handling fee into the shipping costs. A few will charge higher prices for their products and not charge for shipping or handling. However they do it, the customer is going to pay for it. It’s how they stay in business. I’m not sure where you live, if there is a supplier near you you can always pick up something at their store. The nearest supplier to me is nearly 2 hours drive in each direction, and there’s no other reason for me to drive that far into town. I can’t drive there and back for what I would spend in shipping/handling. 🤷‍♀

This spring I am planning on making a super lemon soap so I am looking for a strong lemon fragrance oil
What are your suggestions for my cold process recipe?
Here is my CP recipe
20oz coconut oil 1.25
20oz olive oil 1.25
18oz goat's milk 1.13
7.5 oz lye
13 oz lard
How much lemon should I use?
Thank you for your sage suggestions
If you have never made cold process soap I would not use milk for your first recipe until you have made a few batches of soap. Milk can be tricky as it can scorch if it gets too hot. Do you know how to mix lye and milk? I’m just worried you’re putting the cart before the horse and may not be happy with your final product.

How about Lemongrass Essential Oil? Holds up much better in Cold Process soap making than Lemon Essential Oil.
You can use lemongrass, but please be careful with the amount. According to the Wholesale Supplies Plus fragrance calculator, the maximum usage rate is 1%, which is pretty low. In 16 ounces of soap, that’s 0.16 ounces of lemongrass EO. You can always blend it with another EO. I have a grapefruit/lemongrass in a slurry waiting for me to make soap.

If you have never made cold process soap I would not use milk for your first recipe until you have made a few batches of soap. Milk can be tricky as it can scorch if it gets too hot. Do you know how to mix lye and milk? I’m just worried you’re putting the cart before the horse and may not be happy with your final product.
20yrs +

20yr +

yes I've been making cold process soap for 20 years plus
how much lemon fragrance should I use on the recipe on this thread? thank you for your input
People have kindly answered your question in this thread. You go with the IFRA guidelines of the fragrance oil as a start. By default I use 1oz per pound of oils as I like a strong scent and I’m not selling it.

now dont tell anyone here is my secret stash of my wonderful lavender ginger soap
The bars sit here for 6months + and than they are ready !

Attachments

• IMG_20240310_134935871.jpg
    IMG_20240310_134935871.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Mike, I agree, that calculator seemed useless. Most of us just use lye calculators or figure it out ourself based on maximum safe usage amounts (for the RE lemon verbena it says the maximum safe usage amount for soap is 4.38% as the top limit) and then our own preferences. For someone like me who likes fragrances strong and typically uses 5-6%, I would go to the maximum of 4.38%, so that's what I'd put in the fragrance box in soapcalc, which would then tell me the amount of FO to add.

Another thing that can be helpful is to look at the reviews for a scent, sometimes you'll find people repeatedly saying that an FO is strong or weak, or sticks well or vanishes during cure. Because I have used RE's LV many times I know that it sticks well and is nice and strong. But 1.5% is really very low. Maybe people who like fainter smells will chip in here, but I would imagine most people don't go lower than 3% (I think that's about half an oz per pound of oils)

I used soapcalc.net to fill out your numbers and am cutting and pasting the results below. You MUST figure out a way to use a calculator, you won't be able to make soap without it, you might as well give up right now. There are tutorials for soapcalc, I know, I believe one of them was linked on another of your posts. For other questions, such as the fragrance oil one, I would go to the search symbol/magnifying glass in the top right hand corner here and type in whatever your question is, eg "how much fragrance oil to use", there is an enormous amount of information available on this site if you look for it.

The first screen print is the page you get if you go to soapcalc.net and click "recipe calculator" on the top bar. As I said, I used the numbers you decided on for your soap below so you'd have a model of what it would like/what information goes where. The second print screen is the actual recipe you will use to make your soap. The Explanation discusses why I chose what I entered, ie, what you'll be doing the next time you wanted to create a recipe if you used soapcalc.

View attachment 76196

Explanation of Recipe Calculator above:

For #1/Type of Lye, I left it on NAOH, the default.

For weight of oils, I chose oz and put in 53, your total (I always use grams, it is more precise, but this is a personal preference.)

For #3/Water, I chose lye concentration and put in 30%. That means that your lye liquid will be calculated at 30% lye and 70% water. The lower the lye concentration, the more water will be in the lye liquid, and vice versa. Also the more water you have, the slower the batter will be to come to trace, which is good when you have things that are going to cause faster trace (hard oils, higher temps, honey, milks, certain Fos/EOs) and you want to lessen that speed, or if you want the batter to stay more liquid for longer because you are doing complicated swirls.

30% is a fair amount of water (generally 33% lye concentration is a good sort of average amount, that’s what I usually use because like to do lots of swirls, often recommended for newbies as well) but since you are making a milk soap, which can overheat, I put in a lower lower lye/higher water %.

For #4/Superfat, I put in 5% because that’s what you had on your printout, and left the fragrance amount at .5% oz/lb of oil (the default) because that works out to about 3%, which is what the more moderate FO people use (see my comments in my reply to your post regarding fragrance.)

For #5, just leave it alone, no need to do anything there.

For #6 I added in the oils and amounts you specified in your formula.

For #7 you hit calculate recipe, that will calculate the exact water amount (based on the lye concentration you’ve entered in #3) and lye amount (based on the oils and superfat) that you need in your soap.

Finally you go to right underneath #7 and hit view or print recipe, that will give you the final recipe including the final lye, water, and FO amounts you will be adding based on what you’ve put in when you hit “calculate recipe”. Save and/or print that screen so that you have it work from.
---------------------
Printout of Final Recipe Below

View attachment 76195
Thank you for this.... I noted that...

Latest posts

Back