Forgot to add palm kernel flakes to cp

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiaadw

Reaction score
Hey, I’m quite new to making cp when making a batch of soap tonight I completely forgot to add 4oz of palm kernel flakes. Is this soap ruined? My soaps oils & fats added up to 39.00 oz total . Not sure if that helps.

It might not be safe to use - Please can you write out your full recipe including the amount of lye and water so that we can troubleshoot. It would be best if you could use percentages: eg 20% Palm oil, 10% Palm Kernel, 40% Olive oil, etc. Then give the actual lye concentration and amount.
So I made my recipe from bramble berry here it is with lye solution and oils and fats.

Attachments

• IMG_4203.jpeg
    IMG_4203.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4202.jpeg
    IMG_4202.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
So I made my recipe from bramble berry here it is with lye solution and oils and fats.
Your soap is most likely lye heavy.

You are missing 10% of the oil for your batch. If you superfat at 5% and even if your NaOH is at 97% purity, there is that 2% extra lye that will make your soap unsafe to use for quite awhile. It can cure out with enough exposure to air but that will take a long time and you will never be sure.

I would suggest a rebatch to add the missing oil or forget the batch for a long while and do a zap test before using the soap.

If you put your recipe through a lye calculator you will find that it has a -7% superfat, which means it is lye heavy. I agree with @Saponificarian that you need to rebatch or let it sit for many months and zap test before use. I have no idea how long it would take to be safe to use, if ever. Maybe someone else knows.

Toss it, don't risk it.

Can I share an unsolicited opinion? I don't know if you are new or not but 8 oils and butters is a lot, especially if you are new. I'm not one to talk because my base recipe has 6. But if you are new to this, I'd suggest fewer ingredients because there's several steps to remember and mastering trace, etc. And, because, dishes. :) Keep us posted!

Lovely recipe. The missing 4 oz. PKO flakes adds lather and hardness as well as using up the excess lye. :thumbs:

I would suggest a rebatch to add the missing oil
If you put your recipe through a lye calculator you will find that it has a -7% superfat, which means it is lye heavy. I agree with @Saponificarian that you need to rebatch
:thumbs: :thumbs: Good Advice! Rebatching is the best way to correct a lye-heavy soap.

20 years ago, when I was new to soapmaking, I rebatched so many times I earned the title of "Rebatch Queen". 😁 It's a good technique to have in your soapers toolbox and now is just as good a time as any to learn how to do it. It's not complicated but it does take time. Allow about 4 hours. I usually do it on a Saturday while washing clothes and cleaning the kitchen -- to keep busy and stay close by while the soap is doing its thing. Oven Rebatch is my favorite method.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/oven-rebatch-cp.77457/
Take some time to read through that thread. To save time, you can shred the soap one day and rebatch another day while doing other things.

36 oz. oils X a factor of 1.37 = 49.3 oz. soap shreds (approx.)
Plus 4 oz PKO - heat to 160°F to completely melt the PKO. Wait until the end to add the PKO, when the shreds are molten.
TOTAL 54-55 oz. (approx.) finished soap.

Once the PKO is added, stir with a spoon for one full minute or use a stick blender until thoroughly mixed. Put the batch back in the oven for 20 minutes if needed -- if it seizes or is too stiff to stir. Feel free to add an extra oz of sunflower oil (or avocado or 50/50 both) for a smoother pour.

HTH and GOOD LUCK! :videovisit:

Lovely recipe. The missing 4 oz. PKO flakes adds lather and hardness as well as using up the excess lye. :thumbs:

:thumbs: :thumbs: Good Advice! Rebatching is the best way to correct a lye-heavy soap.

20 years ago, when I was new to soapmaking, I rebatched so many times I earned the title of "Rebatch Queen". 😁 It's a good technique to have in your soapers toolbox and now is just as good a time as any to learn how to do it. It's not complicated but it does take time. Allow about 4 hours. I usually do it on a Saturday while washing clothes and cleaning the kitchen -- to keep busy and stay close by while the soap is doing its thing. Oven Rebatch is my favorite method.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/oven-rebatch-cp.77457/
Take some time to read through that thread. To save time, you can shred the soap one day and rebatch another day while doing other things.

36 oz. oils X a factor of 1.37 = 49.3 oz. soap shreds (approx.)
Plus 4 oz PKO - heat to 160°F to completely melt the PKO. Wait until the end to add the PKO, when the shreds are molten.
TOTAL 54-55 oz. (approx.) finished soap.

Once the PKO is added, stir with a spoon for one full minute or use a stick blender until thoroughly mixed. Put the batch back in the oven for 20 minutes if needed -- if it seizes or is too stiff to stir. Feel free to add an extra oz of sunflower oil (or avocado or 50/50 both) for a smoother pour.

HTH and GOOD LUCK! :videovisit:
Thank you soo much!! I appreciate your help!

Latest posts

Back