Happy happy, Joy joy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This soap just makes me smile. I've never made a layered soap before and thought what would be more perfect than rainbow soap! I'm dying for spring . . . is it obvious?

IMG_0933[1].jpg

IMG_0936[1].jpg

So nice! I don,t think I will ever be able to make a soap like that..My batter always sets up to fast even though I stop blending at emulsion, or at least until I get the color mixed in.
I think I should try not adding any FOs until right before pour. My recipe is 50% solids and 50%soft oils, is that to many hard oils?

Wow, the rainbow put a huge smile on my face too. It's lovely.

So nice! I don,t think I will ever be able to make a soap like that..My batter always sets up to fast even though I stop blending at emulsion, or at least until I get the color mixed in.
I think I should try not adding any FOs until right before pour. My recipe is 50% solids and 50%soft oils, is that to many hard oils?

This recipe was only 20% soft oils . . . partly because I love lard/tallow soaps and also because I wanted the layers to firm up quickly. It was a true test of patience and planning. Prior to this batch I had never attempted 7 different colors so measuring everything in advance was very necessary. I also used a FO that accelerated trace so that was also to my advantage when pouring the layers.

I measured and mixed all the oils at once but calculated how much oil/lye water would be needed for 7 individual batches so I could color and pour them separately. It was tedious but I'm pleased with the end result. And Seawolfe's comment about how straight the layers were poured just cracked me up! After posting the side view of the loaf, I was thinking to myself how crooked all but the top 2 layers looked to me.

I liked when I got a second today, but didn't have the chance to tell you how much I love this! Always wanted to try, but haven't had a chance yet.
It looks perfect! I suppose the key is super thick trace for layers like that???

Latest posts

Back