Getting braver

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my two cents worth. #1 Scents - I use fragrance oils, not essential oils, so I can't help you much with those, but it's not actually necessary to scent your soaps to sell . I'm thinking of the very successful Rocky Top Soap company for one. There are many people who like all natural, unscented soaps. And you ask, "and is it necessary do you reckon to buy the higher priced oils when we dont fully know whether the goodness is left after sponification?" I'm guessing you're referring to the soaping oils there. IMHO, no, it's not necessary to use luxury oils to make a fabulous bar of soap. It's all in the recipe, the proportions. I use only olive, palm and coconut in my basic bars, which are the majority of what I sell, and my customers love them. I did a blind test with a variety of recipes, and the testers loved the bar with some avocado oil in it, so I've added that one to my line of soaps. But that's about as luxurious as I get.

#2 Molds - I buy silicone liners, but I make my own wooden molds. It just doesn't pay to buy them, they're really easy to make. I'm sure if you google, you'll find lots of tutorials out there. And if you're lining your molds with freezer paper, you can make the molds to any custom size you like!

#3 Tools - I use a stainless steel saucepan for my lye, and a stainless steel stock pot for soaping. My spoons and spatula are plastic. You can find most of these items at thrift and dollar stores, no need to spend a lot of money.

#5 Clean up - I scrape every little bit out of the pot with my spatula, no sense in leaving any behind. Then I wipe off the stick blender, spoons and spatula with a paper towel. I leave all the utensils in the soap pot over night, and wash with hot water and dish soap the following day.

And as far as visually pleasing soap goes, many people actually find that wholesome, well-made, handmade soap IS BEAUTIFUL!!! Best of luck to you!

To the OP, essential oils, if bought on line from soap suppliers, can be as economical as fragrance oils. Try New Directions Aromatics, which I believe has a branch either in Australia or NZ. There are many that can be purchased for USD $2/30 grams or less if you buy at least 100 grams at a time. Some economical examples include lavender 40/42, cedarwood, tea tree, anise, peppermint, rosemary, eucalyptus, lemongrass and litsea cubeba all stick pretty well when used at 3% of your soaping oils weight (total weight for a blend). For a 1000 gram batch that would be 30 grams. I prefer EO over FO and for me, scent will last 6 months to a year.

Just make sure you dissolve it well first. If it's in granules, it will melt out the first time the finished soap hits water. Don't ask me how I know.

hehe that's good to know:) thanks

Using it - no.

Drinking it - yes.

You'd definitely find me guilty then :)

Latest posts

Back