dishwasher for soaping tools

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a preface, I have all separate tools and containers for soaping and wash them all in separate sink from my home and food.

Since the internet is such a bowl of mixed information I just wanted to get everyones take on washing your soap making supplies in the family dishwasher. I've been a lot of people lately posting about this with and without food dishes in there.

Washing up after soaping is my least favorite chore and I'm considering getting a separate dishwasher just for my studio. I don't remember where I read about someone that purchased a small industrial one for there workshop and they loved it!

I have no problems with combining my soap making dishes with my food dishes. They are always scraped/wiped out so as not to add to any oily gunk in the dishwasher. As far as I am concerned, oils are not poisonous, and neither is lye ( it's used to make bagels and pretzels).
The fragrance sometimes does linger, but it doesn't contaminate glasses, cutlery or plates. I keep separate silicone spatulas for my soap making because I used to use the household ones, and they do absorb the FOs so end up being a bit too perfume-y for food preparation.

I don't have a dishwasher at all, I am the dishwasher, let alone getting a second one.
Using that logic, I have 2.5 dishwashers in my house: me, the Bosch installed in the kitchen, and DH. 😂 He only counts as half bc he honestly doesn’t do many dishes. We both prefer that he focus his energies primarily on skilled labor (he’s a master carpenter, also does plumbing, electrical, concrete, landscaping, etc.) while I do the unskilled stuff. Everyone is happier that way. 😜

I often wash my soap making dishes by hand, but I sometimes use a second dishwasher in our garage apartment. Over 4+ years, I haven't noticed any lingering odors or effects on the DW. To avoid soap scum buildup, I first scrape out as much soap batter as possible and then wipe everything down with a microfiber cloth. I don't have to use much dishwasher detergent, but I usually add a little bit of citric acid to counteract our hard water (see this info from a manufacturer and this thread for more info).

I often wash my soap making dishes by hand, but I sometimes use a second dishwasher in our garage apartment. Over 4+ years, I haven't noticed any lingering odors or effects on the DW. To avoid soap scum buildup, I first scrape out as much soap batter as possible and then wipe everything down with a microfiber cloth. I don't have to use much dishwasher detergent, but I usually add a little bit of citric acid to counteract our hard water (see this info from a manufacturer and this thread for more info).
thank you! I just ordered the citric acid tablets mentioned in the link!

For a lifetime, like @Relle , the only dishwashers in the house were human. When we renovated our house (during COVID, doncha' know), we added a dishwasher, the machine kind. We're living like kings, now, baby!!
I let my soaping dishes sit for a day or two and I wash them separately, and on the heavy-duty cycle; it may be overkill but works for me. All my soaping utensils are segregated except for the occasional use of a soup pot.

Since the internet is such a bowl of mixed information I just wanted to get everyones take on washing your soap making supplies in the family dishwasher. I've been a lot of people lately posting about this with and without food dishes in there.
I've been making soap for over four years and no one has died around here or has been poison by washing my soap dishes with regular dishes...either in the sink or the dishwasher. No different than when I wash my regular dishes, I clean off all the extra stuff before washing. I find a microfiber cloth works best when it comes to my soap stuff.

As for purchasing a separate dishwasher, if I had a soap studio I would have one like the ones used in bars and hook up an 'on-demand' water heater so I could turn up the temperature a little more for when I need to sanitize my equipment for when I am making other body products like lotions.

If you want a separate dishwasher & can afford it, go for it. I personally would never commingle tools that had been used with fo or eo with food utensils, because it's good manufacturing practice and food hygeine to keep them separate.

I use separate dishes for food and soapmaking, and at this point I wash all my soapy things by hand only because there isn’t a dishwasher in my soap ‘studio’ aka *the basement next door. I actually really love doing dishes by hand! In our other houses I always washed the soap dishes in the dishwasher along with food dishes, with the exception of my silicone spatulas used for mixing as the scent from the EOs does transfer to other silicone or plastic items used for food.

*We own five houses on the same rural-ish street which are occupied by other family members, and my parents live next door. The basement in that house is half-finished and has a little kitchen area (very rustic) with a sink, refrigerator, counters and cupboards along with a big laundry sink on the other side of the space, so that’s where I do all my soaping.

The basement in that house is half-finished and has a little kitchen area (very rustic) with a sink, refrigerator, counters and cupboards along with a big laundry sink on the other side of the space, so that’s where I do all my soaping.
Sounds like a lovely soaping set-up! I have to admit, though, if I needed to go to another house or building to soap or make products, I probably would never get to it. I'm usually making things late at night after finishing work, making dinner, cleaning up dinner, and prepping for the next day. Now if that basement were below my own house, the DH might not see me very much. 😁

Sounds like a lovely soaping set-up! I have to admit, though, if I needed to go to another house or building to soap or make products, I probably would never get to it. I'm usually making things late at night after finishing work, making dinner, cleaning up dinner, and prepping for the next day. Now if that basement were below my own house, the DH might not see me very much. 😁
I agree. If we owned our home, the garage would already be emptied, plumbed and wired.

I use separate dishes for food and soapmaking, and at this point I wash all my soapy things by hand only because there isn’t a dishwasher in my soap ‘studio’ aka *the basement next door. I actually really love doing dishes by hand! In our other houses I always washed the soap dishes in the dishwasher along with food dishes, with the exception of my silicone spatulas used for mixing as the scent from the EOs does transfer to other silicone or plastic items used for food.

*We own five houses on the same rural-ish street which are occupied by other family members, and my parents live next door. The basement in that house is half-finished and has a little kitchen area (very rustic) with a sink, refrigerator, counters and cupboards along with a big laundry sink on the other side of the space, so that’s where I do all my soaping.
Wait, what is this strange language you speak, "I actually really love doing dishes by hand!"

Our dishwasher started making a horrid grinding noise last year and we haven't had the money to replace it. So.. by hand it is. Two? I'm envious.
Apparently dishwashers are one of the simpler appliances to fix on your own. There are some good YT videos dealing with that specific issue (grinding noise), which is often caused by something in the filter.

Our dishwasher started making a horrid grinding noise last year and we haven't had the money to replace it. So.. by hand it is. Two? I'm envious.
In the off chance you haven't had it's death confirmed by a repair person , it might have a clog in the food grinder in its drain. And if you haven't taken it apart to check, it's simple to do. The little grinding wire can clog with hair wrapped around it, which can be removed with tweezers. Mine makes a loud grinding noise when it's got a clog.

I would definitely be soaping in my own house if I had the space but my basement is not conducive to anything but storage…sigh… maybe one day…

For now, I walk the 50 steps next door to indulge my passion.

Latest posts

Back