Dish soap bar questions: rinse clean, harsh on hands, container?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBell123

Reaction score
I'd like to try to make a dish soap bar. I've looked on here for a good recipe and can only seem to find the Lovely Greens one that a couple people reference (Homemade Dish Soap Recipe for the Zero-Waste Home.), even though it seems like a popular thing to make and people have good results.

When I google recipes, it seems like most people are using a coconut oil heavy recipe for the cleaning power. I have also seen that some people say that the soap bar doesn't rinse as clean and you might need to rinse with vinegar after. I don't really want to do that step.

I have coconut oil, lard, olive oil, and castor oil on hand, so I'd really like to use from that combination and not buy too much else, unless it is really necessary. I see in the Lovely Greens one there is citric acid and soy wax. How needed are those? Does anyone have a recipe that works well that doesn't need those?

How do you find that yours rinses? Do you really need the vinegar rinse or do you have a recipe that rinses clean?

I know I don't need to "condition" my dishes, but since my hands will be there, getting soapy and I don't really like wearing dish gloves, what is the best way to make the coconut oil not super harsh on the skin. A certain super fat %? Add some lard and/or olive oil? What percentage of those would you recommend?

Also, do you make yours right in little ramekins or small jars or do you make them in another container and then put them in bowls or jars or soap dishes? I have a silicone muffin pan that I thought would work well, and then I'd put it in bowl after it's ready. Do you keep yours dry in between uses, like a hand or body soap bar? Or just right in a dish or ramekin? I'm wondering how important it is to dry out in between uses.

Latest posts

Back