Getting braver

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put my honey in with my oils. However, I've noticed that it doesn't mix with the oils. If I stir it up, it will quickly sink to the bottom and separate. So when I use honey in soap, I use the stick blender and get the honey well blended with the oils just before I add the lye water.

I got some Silicone loaf moulds off of eBay for $8 each. I found they were to flimsy and bowed when filled so I got a couple pieces of trimming wood from Bunnings and hot glued a removable box for them. The wood cost $8 as well.

KtXqYtV.jpg

I've made a couple batches of castile now and the OO has traced within a minute or two .... I keep hearing folks say it takes forever but if it never happens to me I believe it never will. I'm sure that someday I'll have a rude shock.

What conditions lead to it not tracing?

i believe the recipe i used advised me to chill it down to not scold the buttermilk i had in the recipe, but i think i chilled it down to much... when i put it in a heat source it finally started to trace.

1. I'm with you on the scents. I cannot enter any stores that sell potpouri , or any of the grocery stores that sell those awful pine cones in december. I find I do like some EO scents. Citrus, if it's good and smells like cut citrus instead of lifesavers. Patchouli and sandalwood in tiny quantities.

2. Don't use vinegar to rinse equipment that has lye on it. You know that reaction you get when you mix water+Lye? You get a similar but stronger reaction when you mix vinegar+Lye. Way too much difference in pH with vinegar. Water will neutralize it.

yeah i know the reaction and i know it results in a then neutralized mess... but water does as well without the reaction? i've always thought vinegar was the "keep close by" item when soaping for messes...? i've said it once and i'll say it a million times more. my soap obsession has left me wishing i paid more attention in science class.

Have you tried dissolving the honey in water? This has worked for me. I think it was IrishLass which suggested this tip.

Coffee grounds can be really abrasive so you want to make sure to grind them very fine. Ask me how I know. :roll: It's also very easy to add coffee grounds. I blend until I get a thicker trace before adding the grounds. This helps to keep them evenly suspended.

What was the problem with the buttermilk?

I don't know where you could buy EOs in New Zealand. Perhaps someone else knows of reputable suppliers and will be able to answer.

The honey tip, do you dissolve it with the lye water? or keep a tad of water/honey out and mix in with lyewater and oils at once? wondering if you keep it separate till you have to combine to not destroy it entirely...hmm.. the coffee grounds, did you grind old grounds or fresh ones? i was thinking of picking up used ones from the cafe up the road as we we (shamfully) drink instant at home, funny thing here in n.z. you either have a espresso machine, an old school plunger(manual filter device) or drink instant. i need to get a plunger. i remember when i first moved to australia years ago as soon as the lady at the shop heard my accent she directed me to the one single "filter" coffee machine they sold. i left with a espresso machine. i miss it! from one extreme to the next.. how does one go from espresso to instant, i have no idea.

but anyway, maybe stupid questions but yes,, when to add the honey and how much per lbs/kg..(1T pp was mentioned) and fresh grounds id imagine? i could buy a pack just for soap... i was actually thinking of using coffee as my water and grounds as well....

I know that some people don't use it because it can be an irritant. I've never had a problem with it. I don't sell, so when I give my soap away, I ask people if they have very sensitive skin, and if they do, I advise them to use it on their hands first, to make sure it doesn't irritate.

My aunt has very sensitive skin, and she's used my cinnamon soaps with no problem.

I kind of figure that, to the wrong person, ANYTHING can be an irritant.

how much cinnamon do you use? if you dont mind me asking. im curious as to how much spice from the cabinet i would need to use for it to be noticeable without being irritating.

how much cinnamon do you use? if you dont mind me asking. im curious as to how much spice from the cabinet i would need to use for it to be noticeable without being irritating.

Sorry, I don't have a very precise answer. I add it until it smells nice and looks pleasingly speckled to me.

but anyway, maybe stupid questions but yes,, when to add the honey and how much per lbs/kg..(1T pp was mentioned) and fresh grounds id imagine? i could buy a pack just for soap... i was actually thinking of using coffee as my water and grounds as well....

There aren't any stupid questions. You're learning something new and it's good to research and ask than to jump in and possibly waste supplies.

I use approximately 1 T honey ppo; although sometimes it may be a little less. (Tip: put a little oil from the batch on the spoon so the honey doesn't stick to it.) I'm a little paranoid when I add sugar, honey or syrup. I remove enough of the water which I will use for the lye , warm it and then dissolve the sugary goodness in it. Then I'll add this into the batch either before or after I add the lye mixture. I'm not that persnickety when it comes to adding honey or whatever. :lol: This is only what I do. Other people do it differently so you'll want to pick which tip works best for you.

Also, honey can heat up a loaf so you'll want to keep an eye on it if you're using a FO that gets hot.

As for coffee grounds, I save the grounds from a pot of coffee, spread them on a plate, let dry and then grind. Again, it's just what I do. It's not the only way. I'd try the grounds from the cafe just to see if you like them in your soap. Some people don't like them. If you do, then I'd keep getting them from the cafe as long as they were willing to give them. Free is good. It helps to reduce your cost for the soap. You could take some soap to them after it's cured as a 'thank you' gift for their generosity. You might even try simmering the grounds in water to see if you can get more coffee out of them for the liquid. I don't know if it will work but it's worth trying once.

Just a suggestion but you may want to go lightly on the grounds since they can be scratchy. I wasn't told this when I made my first soap with coffee grounds and I about screamed when I tried to use it. Yes, sadly I am a wuss. I don't know what amount to recommend but maybe just try a tablespoon or two ppo for the first time. You can always add more for the next batch if you don't think it's enough.

I haven't used coffee as the liquid but only because I prefer to drink it. I keep saying one of these days but then...

yeah i know the reaction and i know it results in a then neutralized mess... but water does as well without the reaction? i've always thought vinegar was the "keep close by" item when soaping for messes...? i've said it once and i'll say it a million times more. my soap obsession has left me wishing i paid more attention in science class.

lye+vinegar makes much heat. Here is a quick explanation:

http://www.soapalooza.com/blog/2014/01/how-to-handle-a-lye-spill/

There aren't any stupid questions. You're learning something new and it's good to research and ask than to jump in and possibly waste supplies.

I use approximately 1 T honey ppo; although sometimes it may be a little less. (Tip: put a little oil from the batch on the spoon so the honey doesn't stick to it.) I'm a little paranoid when I add sugar, honey or syrup. I remove enough of the water which I will use for the lye , warm it and then dissolve the sugary goodness in it. Then I'll add this into the batch either before or after I add the lye mixture. I'm not that persnickety when it comes to adding honey or whatever. :lol: This is only what I do. Other people do it differently so you'll want to pick which tip works best for you.

Also, honey can heat up a loaf so you'll want to keep an eye on it if you're using a FO that gets hot.

As for coffee grounds, I save the grounds from a pot of coffee, spread them on a plate, let dry and then grind. Again, it's just what I do. It's not the only way. I'd try the grounds from the cafe just to see if you like them in your soap. Some people don't like them. If you do, then I'd keep getting them from the cafe as long as they were willing to give them. Free is good. It helps to reduce your cost for the soap. You could take some soap to them after it's cured as a 'thank you' gift for their generosity. You might even try simmering the grounds in water to see if you can get more coffee out of them for the liquid. I don't know if it will work but it's worth trying once.

Just a suggestion but you may want to go lightly on the grounds since they can be scratchy. I wasn't told this when I made my first soap with coffee grounds and I about screamed when I tried to use it. Yes, sadly I am a wuss. I don't know what amount to recommend but maybe just try a tablespoon or two ppo for the first time. You can always add more for the next batch if you don't think it's enough.

I haven't used coffee as the liquid but only because I prefer to drink it. I keep saying one of these days but then...

well shoot, you seem pretty clued on, i think i will start decorating/scenting with kitchen items like honey, coffee, cinnamon, tea... until at least i get a handle on this Scent thing...do you by any chance have any knowledge on fixatives and anchors for Eo's? im about to make a purchase and i'm pretty confused on that area... im searching for threads but i haven't come up with much so far... seems other oils or clays are used to stick scent.

fixatives and anchors for Eo's? im about to make a purchase and i'm pretty confused on that area... im searching for threads but i haven't come up with much so far... seems other oils or clays are used to stick scent.

There are quite a few threads about anchoring EOs. It just takes awhile to browse through the EO section. You could browse the EO swap review thread. People discussed what they used for anchors. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=33078

Not really clued in because I don't use a lot of EOs and I tend to use ones which I know perform well in CP. Sometimes I just make a batch by hot process so I can add EOs after saponification. That's probably the easiest way but the soap is rougher looking than CP. I've heard clay, castor oil and some people mentioned using litsea cubea and patchouli. I don't think cornstarch is all that great as an anchor but just because I didn't like it, doesn't mean you wouldn't like it. I prefer to use 15 fold orange essential oil because it sticks really well. I couldn't get some when I purchased again and got the 5 fold instead. :( But I'm sure it will work find. Anyway, I recommend using 5 fold and up citrus EOs because they stick better. I've read the chemical (or chemicals) which cause photosensitivity is taken out because of the processing.

So would using instant coffee be a sin?:) I'd like to try a coffee soap but every recipe I've seen uses brewed coffee or equivalent.

Latest posts

Back