Fresh ingredients in CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used fresh avocado, carrots, cucumber, yogurt, spinach, tomato paste successfully in CP. I've found that a lot of fresh fruits/vegetables turn brown; like strawberries, pomegranate juice, cranberries and some turn gray, like blueberries.

i've used all these except spinach -- now THAT sounds interesting, genny! i've also used apples, pears, fresh tomatoes, fresh pumpkin (i put the pumpkin halves in a lasagna dish with about an inch of water and bake until soft, then just scoop out the pumpkin, easy peasy). yogurt in soap is totally lovely. i don't have a food processor either, but an old blender works wonderfully, just make sure your fresh stuff is completely pureed! i too always add a tablespoon or more of sugar to my batches for bubbles.

Last edited:
On the topic of using fresh things in soap; how does one go about adding yogurt into a hot processed batch? Do I add it before I reach trace or maybe after the cook?

I have tried adding the fresh strawberry puree + yogurt in a re-batch soap. This is my first time doing a re-batch. Not sure how will it turn out. I wonder how long the soap will take to harden.. Not sure if i cook long enough or not too.

On the topic of using fresh things in soap; how does one go about adding yogurt into a hot processed batch? Do I add it before I reach trace or maybe after the cook?

I would treat it like adding milk-either freeze it in cubes and add slowly to a water + lye (taking a wazter discount) solution or I would just add it at trace, depending on preference. But I haven't used yogurt so I can only assume that it would be similar to using milk...

Oh, my! Something else to get excited about with soap making! So many ideas, so little time...

Can I ask, what fruit or veggies retain their colour the best? It sounds like pumpkin works well. I think I'll try butternut squash today, as I'm going to have some left over after making soup. I'm a bit worried that might have too much sugar, though, and turn brown.

I've made a lovely coconut milk soap that produces a very white bar. Any speculation if tomato paste might make it pink?

Thanks for all these great ideas! -Lynette

I would treat it like adding milk-either freeze it in cubes and add slowly to a water + lye (taking a wazter discount) solution or I would just add it at trace, depending on preference. But I haven't used yogurt so I can only assume that it would be similar to using milk...

That's what I was thinking but I wasn't too sure. Thanks for the input.

Looks like this topic has pretty much been answered but I will throw in my experiences with foods. :mrgreen:

I have a local farmer who purees tomatoes from his garden and has me make tomato soap with tomato leaf f/o and I have done pumpkin puree and puree carrots for my face soap.

Looks like this topic has pretty much been answered but I will throw in my experiences with foods. :mrgreen:

I have a local farmer who purees tomatoes from his garden and has me make tomato soap with tomato leaf f/o and I have done pumpkin puree and puree carrots for my face soap.

It's obviously lunch time, because I read "we make tomato soup with tomato leaf f/o" and thought uhhh, that doesn't sound tasty.

I've made a lovely coconut milk soap that produces a very white bar. Any speculation if tomato paste might make it pink?

I made tomato soap yesterday, using tomato puree, red clay powder and tomato leaf PO. Cannot tell you what color it would have had without the red clay though.

Tomaatzeep1_zps780730a7.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back