First scented and colored batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodeogal

Reaction score
Well, I did it. I made a batch of purple tinted, lavender scented soap. I used lavender EO at a rate of .5 oz PPO. Now, here is where you all come in...
I added the EO at trace and blended very well. It took it a bit to blend. Today, three days later, there was EO drops on the top of the soap. I cut it anyway. However, when I took it out of the mold, the freezer paper was very greasy with oil and the scent is VERY strong.
Was I supposed to lower the amount of my base oil by the amount of EO I used? And, will the scent remain that strong? I am not a fan at this stage, as I prefer a lightly scented soap not strong. As always, thank you for help and sharing your experience!

0.5 oz ppo of Lavender is fine. I actually use more. Are you sure it was EO leaking out? What was your colorant?
You don't need to subtract any base oil to accommodate the EO.
I suspect your soap overheated...unless it was really oily, and then you may have had a little separation.

I don't know about the oil seeping, but in my experience, the scent of lavender dies down some. I made a lavender lime that was really strong at first, but not so much now.

Second what three_little_fishes said. The scent will be much lighter after a 6 to 8 weeks cure.

Sometimes I get oil droplets on my soap, too. Normally they get re-absorbed in a 3 to 5 days.

I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd throw my comment out there for anyone searching for information. So my two cents:
I have made 6 batches of lavender soap. Of those 6 batches, two were with an old recipe, 4 were with a new recipe. All of them used matte lavender ultramarines and titanium dioxide for colorant in an ITP swirl. Four used lavender EO from Whole Foods, the last two used lavandin grosso EO from Liberty Naturals, all at .5 oz ppo. All had lavender buds sprinkled on top and were beautiful when I put them to bed. Some were cut on day 2, some on day 4. But every single one of them leaked EO on day 3. I have used an identical recipe but with a different EO with no leaking. It has always reabsorbed within a day, the soap cures nicely. The only real drawback is that as soon as the leaking hits the buds, they turn brown. Such a shame too, because they look perfect for the first 3 days! Such is life. No one here seems to mind the brown flowers, and we all love the lavender, so it's just going to have to be my leaky soap! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back