First HP Swirls

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since my two vanilla incidents ( Soap on a stick blender ), I used HP to save my first batch. Regarding the second incident (when I discovered the actual problem), leaving me with oils still mixed with the Seizing Vanilla scent. I decided to just do the second batch as just HP. After thinking about it, I decided it would be a time to try something new and do swirls in HP. After cooking, I separated batch into 3 parts keeping everything hot. One part, I mixed in Chrome oxide (mixed in water), Titanium Dioxide (also pre mixed in water), and coco in the third. After poring (spooning) my layers into the mold. I had to beat the mold on the counter quit a bit. Then I attempted a few hanger swirls and again beat it on the counter. Here are photos of the cut. After doing HP twice I'll stick with CP (except for rescuing a batch).

20200612_110631.jpg

That looks great! I have to use HP sometimes because of seizing when trying to do CP with a certain FO I use......and because if that, I need to try and see if I can do this swirl with my HP.
very nice!!

They look good! And don't give up on HP just yet. You can make it very swirlable if you don't mind learning some different techniques and maybe using some different ingredients (or use familiar ingredients differently).

There are some YT videos out there about fluid hot process. Some of those videos are a hot mess, including a barefoot soaper with an overflowing crockpot! But anything by Tina Moenck is pretty good, and she has 2-3 videos on fluid hot process.

In an effort to up my HP game, I bought the Sharon Johnson stick-blender hot process e-book. The e-book was rather short and repetitive, but her method does work to create a fluid, swirlable HP batter. The drawback is that she wants you to follow her method and ingredients exactly - no deviations.

After that, I bought the Ultimate Guide to Hot Process Soap. This e-book provided a ton of scientific information, including the "why" behind the process. It taught me how to formulate my own fluid HP recipes - ones that could be swirled AND produce a nice soap. I went from lots of blah recipes, and failed recipes, to making consistently good HP, even high temperature HP. The purchase of this book also gives you lifetime access to the student area of the author's website, with nice recipes, videos, etc. The author is good about responding to emails and facebook posts in her private and public FB groups.

If I had to do over again, I would only buy the Ultimate Guide book, since it provided a lot more for the money than the first one I mentioned. The author also has Ultimate Guide books for Liquid Soap and Cold Process Soap. Her 30-minute LS recipe changed my mind from "I will never make LS because it takes so stinking long" to "this is fun, I can do this!"

All that to say, HP can be swirlable and fun. Benefits of HP can include no ash, no ricing, more control over super-fat, and faster unmolding. But it is a learning curve, for sure.

I bought the Sharon Johnson stick-blender hot process e-book
Don't get me wrong, I've Done HP now only 3 times. I even have a crock pot dedicated for it. I Just have found CP more to what I like. But there are times, I do want to do HP and will. I also did follow Sharon Johnson's advice on covering the crock pot with cling wrap and That helped a ton.. So I have read some of what she has written. I have watched the YT videos on swirls with HP and did some reading. But for now Most of what I do is CP, But down the road who knows.. I like options :)

Back