Ends, Nubs & Botches: Can I Get a Witness?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, oh! I have some Anise essential oil I was going to use. I don't want smelly feet!
No! I repented a few posts ago... Suddenly, I'm in love with anise (Is it anNISE or ANis?...discuss amongst yourselves). I just ordered a new bottle and am contemplating the southern Mediterranean... anise, citrus (probably grapefruit) and basil. No more feet!

Last edited:
I love anise but find it doesn't stick well so I recently switched to a black licorice FO. For the record, I pronounce it anNISE as this is how I hear most chefs pronounce it.

Even though I have a bar or two of end cuts at my kitchen sink, I use my favourite soaps in my bathroom. Always have because, well.... like the old Clairol commercials (I think it was Clairol) I'm worth it.

I was realizing this morning that everything I'm using on my body (except deodorant and mascara), I've made and it's an incredible feeling. I used self-made a solid shampoo bar, solid conditioner, self-made face cream, lip scrub and lip serum/balm, as well as body butter, and I have self-made hand cream and lip balm at work. And all of them rival any purchased product I've ever bought (and I've bought some high end product in my lifetime).

It feels real good!

@Misschief I wanna be like you when I grow up! Hahaha

Why not mascara btw? Im curious.. Have you tried and didn't like it? I know someone who makes her own but I haven't looked into it yet coz I rarely wear makeup lol but the other things are on my to do list for the distant future lol

Gorgeous!, hope it is nice and doesn’t smell like feet. We should all go and put our nicest ones in our own soap dishes!
LOL...I'll never live that "feet" comment down, will I? This was one of those (rare for me) soaps where every element just worked: colors, consistency of batter, soap quality, etc. The fragrance is a manly-ish bay rum, and IMHO it's perfectly scented. It reminds me of when I was little and my dad took me to the barber shop for my "summer buzz." I showered 4 hours ago and still have a tiny bit of the fragrance left on my skin. I was definitely a luxury to gift it to myself, and I appreciate Meena's cajoling me into indulging a bit. Yes! everyone should go today and pick out the best bar in your stash for yourself!

I love anise but find it doesn't stick well so I recently switched to a black licorice FO. For the record, I pronounce it anNISE as this is how I hear most chefs pronounce it.
Yeah...you think my "feet" comment was bad, I'd hate for someone to mistakenly hear me say, "I just made the most awesome batch of soap that smells of 'anus.' Care for a bar?"

Even though I have a bar or two of end cuts at my kitchen sink, I use my favourite soaps in my bathroom. Always have because, well.... like the old Clairol commercials (I think it was Clairol) I'm worth it.

I was realizing this morning that everything I'm using on my body (except deodorant and mascara), I've made and it's an incredible feeling. I used self-made a solid shampoo bar, solid conditioner, self-made face cream, lip scrub and lip serum/balm, as well as body butter, and I have self-made hand cream and lip balm at work. And all of them rival any purchased product I've ever bought (and I've bought some high end product in my lifetime).

It feels real good!
Doggonnit, Misschief, I think you're worth it too!

I LOVE anise, or at least star anise, is that the same? It is my all time favourite soap essential oil, and cheap too! BUT, under European Law it is considered a major allergen so I can only legally use it at such tiny amounts I can barely smell it. I don't let it stop me making my own, but it is a shame I can't sell it in the UK as it has the rare and unbeatable combination of being both gorgeous and cheap! It probably is a bit of a marmite aroma though. I am the sort of person who happily munches clove sweets, mint humbugs, aniseed drops, winter mix, cough drops and other Victorian style sweets, and I LOVE the taste of cough mixture. I also drink liquorice tea. I have found that when offering other people these delights they seem to think I am trying to poison them!

I LOVE anise, or at least star anise, is that the same? It is my all time favourite soap essential oil, and cheap too! BUT, under European Law it is considered a major allergen so I can only legally use it at such tiny amounts I can barely smell it. I don't let it stop me making my own, but it is a shame I can't sell it in the UK as it has the rare and unbeatable combination of being both gorgeous and cheap! It probably is a bit of a marmite aroma though. I am the sort of person who happily munches clove sweets, mint humbugs, aniseed drops, winter mix, cough drops and other Victorian style sweets, and I LOVE the taste of cough mixture. I also drink liquorice tea. I have found that when offering other people these delights they seem to think I am trying to poison them!

thanks for the early morning chuckle!!! I also read that anise is used in Tamiflu. I found myself sniffing it and wondering if it would help me keep the flu at bay and even if it didn't the smell just makes me happy

@Misschief I wanna be like you when I grow up! Hahaha

Why not mascara btw? Im curious.. Have you tried and didn't like it? I know someone who makes her own but I haven't looked into it yet coz I rarely wear makeup lol but the other things are on my to do list for the distant future lol
I just don't feel the need to make my own makeup. I wear very little, really, just a bit of mascara and, very rarely, a bit of lipstick (as in my profile photo....my daughter didn't believe I would ever wear red lipstick so I had to prove her wrong). For a long time, I couldn't wear any eye makeup at all due to a sensitivity caused by cement dust. Now that I'm over that, I only wear the mascara and, so, I don't mind splurging on it.

It feels real good!
I LOVE that!!! Something to aspire towards!

So - just a thought - does it accelerate at all? Might have a go with it tomorrow. It's an essential oil I've got, not FO.
Was thinking I could add a touch of coconut FO and some fruity FO (maybe citrus) to great the smell of a liquorice all sort. Nom Nom.

So - just a thought - does it accelerate at all? Might have a go with it tomorrow. It's an essential oil I've got, not FO.
Was thinking I could add a touch of coconut FO and some fruity FO (maybe citrus) to great the smell of a liquorice all sort. Nom Nom.

mine didn't accelerate and it works well with orange--using coconut sounds interesting

Back