Ends, Nubs & Botches: Can I Get a Witness?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I’m recently back in the soaping game after a fairly long absence, and I’m already reliving one of the MOST frustrating parts: When I make a successful batch (looks good, smells good, etc) I always feel so darned guilty about using it! I always give away the primo pieces and end up using the ugly ends, leftovers and botched batches that either look like something the police should tape-off or smell like feet. Absolution please.

I find myself doing the same thing with the exception of the ones that smell like feet hahaha (thankfully haven't had any of those yet). I was taking the pot clean out and making tiny bars of them and using them too but have since stopped doing that. Time to put that stuff in a container for confetti soap--still cant do it with the bigger ends though. I see a lot of confetti soap in my future :)
Maybe mixing all the fragrances together will get me the smelly feet soap?

I was like that for the longest time. But, now, I have no end cuts. I get exactly 16 bars out of my batches. So, I allow myself to indulge in whatever catches my whim when I need a new bar or two in the shower.

was it a matter of tweaking your recipe to get the right amount or was it getting the right size molds with the right size bar

I find myself doing the same thing with the exception of the ones that smell like feet hahaha (thankfully haven't had any of those yet). I was taking the pot clean out and making tiny bars of them and using them too but have since stopped doing that. Time to put that stuff in a container for confetti soap--still cant do it with the bigger ends though. I see a lot of confetti soap in my future :)

One word, “anise.” :/

was it a matter of tweaking your recipe to get the right amount or was it getting the right size molds with the right size bar

The ends are always ugly when you (or at least when I) swirl colors, so I cut them off intentionally. I see all these beautiful bars on my racks and think, “Don’t use that one, its too nice.” Its like how we only use the good china for company or how my grandma kept plastic slipcovers over the furniture unless people were coming over.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh I really LOVE that scent. :)

Guessing with me it’s like giving a loaded gun to a chimp.

I should create one called “Smelly Cat.” Actually, the weird smell came from my trying to use up small lots of EO that I had laying around (samples, remnants of bottles, etc.). “How bad could it be?” I asked myself. Well, pretty bad it turns out.

oh I really LOVE that scent. :)
Dear Marilyn. I feel that I owe and apology to anise. As this soap has cured, the smell of anise permeates our entire house and while I hate to admit it... I LOVE IT! It just smells so darned "clean"... reminds me of this red grapefruit and fennel salad that we enjoy in the summer. I'm ordering a bottle and going to start working with it more regularly. Hope there are no hard feelings, anise.

Dear Marilyn. I feel that I owe and apology to anise. As this soap has cured, the smell of anise permeates our entire house and while I hate to admit it... I LOVE IT! It just smells so darned "clean"... reminds me of this red grapefruit and fennel salad that we enjoy in the summer. I'm ordering a bottle and going to start working with it more regularly. Hope there are no hard feelings, anise.

it takes a big man to admit when he is wrong and apologize to the scent hahaha. I have mixed it in an orange scent that I truly love AND while I kinda despise lavender I mixed it with anise and it works

For some reason my two end pieces from the silicone loaf mold are always curved slightly so I slice the curve off and use those for testing. I'm left with square bars, which I'm never able to evenly cut lol and I pick the ugliest ones for myself hehehe

Either they're the most crumbly inside, the most air pockets or the ones with the ugliest swirls.

When I'm not using the loaf I scrape off my pot less than usul and make a soap stone to use for testing. I'm gathering a collection by now lol some I've put on display in the bathrooms with the plants lol

... and think, “Don’t use that one, its too nice.” Its like how we only use the good china for company or how my grandma kept plastic slipcovers over the furniture unless people were coming over.

You're SO right!! My mom did these things, too. Somewhere along the line, though -- brace yourself --
I learned to love myself! I learned that I deserve things, even nice things, because WE ALL DO!

Now DW, I want you to take a deep breath, tell yourself "I can do this," march over to your soap rack, and Pick Out Something NICE for Yourself!! That's an order!!
:okay: :nodding:

You're SO right!! My mom did these things, too. Somewhere along the line, though -- brace yourself --
I learned to love myself! I learned that I deserve things, even nice things, because WE ALL DO!

Now DW, I want you to take a deep breath, tell yourself "I can do this," march over to your soap rack, and Pick Out Something NICE for Yourself!! That's an order!!
:okay: :nodding:

image.jpg
I can do this...I can do this...

Gorgeous!, hope it is nice and doesn’t smell like feet. We should all go and put our nicest ones in our own soap dishes!
I'd do that if I had pretty ones to begin with lols my soap tends to look like stones mostly. Polished or raw, plain or colored are the only differences haha

Latest posts

Back