Finally participating !

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elise

Reaction score
Hi !
I have been reading this forum a lot for the past 6 months or so. It helped me a lot and I'm very grateful for all the knowledge available here. Now that I've done around 25 batches, I really want to be part of all the great conversations you're all having here. Especially since I still have so much questions, even after researching and reading from old threads.
I learned cold process soap-making about 3 years ago with a friend in the "using whatever available" fashion. We used juice cartons as our molds, second hand blender and bowls and very cheap oils (mainly olive oil and hydrogenated coconut oil, sold as "frying oil" in the cooking section at supermarkets). I only did 2 or 3 batches at the time.
Then I stopped soaping for quite a while.
I suddenly wanted to soap again around may this year. I gathered my own materiel from second hand shops + some silicon molds (I didn't like the look of the soap from juice cartons).
For my very first soap made all by myself I decided to clear my bathroom of all the opened oils I use cosmetically (I've been gifted a lot of them but don't use that much). They were not rancid yet but figured they would be before I could use them up, and if I failed, I would not have felt like wasting new bought oils. I'm sure you would find my recipe a monstrosity ! (I kind of do too now that I have more experience). It contained oils like rosehip oil, argan oil, hazelnut oil... and mainly olive oil that I used to fill in. The soap ended up very ugly xD. The fact that I also throw in some Indian plant powder I had laying around didn't help. However, I ended up liking the soap and will use it all up.
Confident I was able to make soap, I then spent a good part of my summer making soap. With recipes that make way more sense ;). My motivation for making soap is to make something that wont dry my skin too much. I used to don't care what I washed with and rarely used lotion on my skin, but a couple years ago my skin suddenly became very dry and uncomfortable after showering (I guess it's called aging). So I experimented with goat milk, honey, oats, shea butter... I usually make soap high in olive oil and low in coconut oil and wait more than 4 weeks to use them.
I haven't experimented much with fragrances, essential oils or colorful designs. My soaps are very plain. I want to get a good understanding of the oils and additives before digging into the realm of scents and colors.
English is not my first language, please excuse me if I don't always make sense or if I just sound weird in my choice of words ;)

Here are some of my early creations :
The monstrosity :
IMG-20230520-WA0000.jpeg
Aleppo style, with 15% laurel berry oil. I made them with my brother at the beginning of summer so we could gift them to family members for Christmas ! They took forever to harden but are hard as rock now. They also ended up greener than on this picture that was taken months ago. I love the smell
IMG_20230807_171808.jpg
Goat milk and then goat milk + honey. Full water replacement for the first but not for the one with honey as I feared over-heating !
IMG_20230808_133335.jpgIMG_20230808_133339.jpg
Some small batches testing infused oils (ginger, Saint John's wort and sage) and water replacements (coconut cream, soy milk and goat milk)
IMG_20230911_104720.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome and wow! I love your experiments ~ including the monstrosity! Clever idea using up those gift oils!
I love Laurel Berry oil ~ such a refreshing scent!
I have dry skin also and the area I live in has very hard water, and in my experimentation I noticed oat milk soap provides a gentle washing experience. I made my oat milk by soaking oatmeal in almond milk for a few days. It got nice and thick and creamy and I used that to make my lye solution. I used the oat milk cold, straight out of the refrigerator, when it was time to mix the lye solution.
I had tried all of the same things you did and I was quite surprised by oat milk! I also tried a brine soap recipe, using salt water for the lye solution (search soleseife soap or brine soap). It does ok for helping to reduce the effects of the hard water on my skin (less itching) but I can't say it helps the dryness ~ I still rub oil on my skin after a shower.
So, have fun with your future experiments! Can't wait to hear about the outcomes and see more pics!

Thank you !
I haven't tested my oat soaps yet, but I have high expectations for them xD. One is made with home made oat flour and one made with, I think, a similar method that you use (exept no almond milk involved, but that sounds like a good idea !).
I had never heard of salt bars before finding this forum. I'm intrigued and will give them a try. I'm especially interested in brine soap to help harden my usually low in hard oils and butters recipes. I slightly expect them to be a bit more drying, I can't help but think they would be similar to what my skin feels like after bathing in the sea : dry and slightly itchy. But only by trying will I know !

Thank you !
I haven't tested my oat soaps yet, but I have high expectations for them xD. One is made with home made oat flour and one made with, I think, a similar method that you use (exept no almond milk involved, but that sounds like a good idea !).
I had never heard of salt bars before finding this forum. I'm intrigued and will give them a try. I'm especially interested in brine soap to help harden my usually low in hard oils and butters recipes. I slightly expect them to be a bit more drying, I can't help but think they would be similar to what my skin feels like after bathing in the sea : dry and slightly itchy. But only by trying will I know !
Yes, it's a fine line with the brine soaps. I was torn between adding additional ingredients to my soap to negate the effects of hard water or try a brine soap. I tried the brine plus finally got a shower head filter, and I think the combination of the two helped. I have tried some of my other bars since getting the shower filter and the oat milk soap is still my favorite so far. Followed by an olive oil soap I made almost 2 years ago that has green tea in it ~ now that it has fully cured, it's pretty nice! As for the rest, I still itch after using them, even the olive oil and Laurel berry oil soap (I did an 80% olive/20% Laurel berry). All the recipes made great soap, I just have super dry and sensitive skin 😔

I just have super dry and sensitive skin
Shelley, I don't know if this will help or not but here goes...

When I first moved to Colorado in 1972, my legs became so dry that it looked like a blizzard of dry skin flakes when I removed my pantyhose. The lady who took care of my 2 little ones while I was at work had beautiful skin. She grew up in Alamosa, about a 5-hour drive south of Denver. When I asked her if she did anything to moisturize her skin she replied, "I take 1,000 units of vitamin E a day." I tried it. Within 3 days my skin improved. No more blizzard! No more slathering on copious amounts of lotion after a shower. To this day, I take natural (mixed tocopherols) vitamin E daily, NOT the synthetic that is also out there. My arms feel almost like a baby's, soft, smooth and not dry at all.

Note: Do some research before trying. Different folks have different body chemistry. What works for me may not work for you. Try 400 IU daily at first to see how your body reacts before moving up to 2 capsules daily. ;)

HTH :computerbath:

@Elise, I'm so impressed! Aleppo Soap, Goat Milk, Goat Milk & Honey, Infused oils, etc. Comme c'est formidable! You are off to such a good start. I agree with the others. Good on ya for using what you have on hand with some amazing finds at second-hand shops. It reminds me so much of when I first made soap in 2003 at age 60.

I'm so happy you decided to participate! I look forward to reading more from you. Until then... à bientôt!

Welcome.gif

Shelley, I don't know if this will help or not but here goes...

When I first moved to Colorado in 1972, my legs became so dry that it looked like a blizzard of dry skin flakes when I removed my pantyhose. The lady who took care of my 2 little ones while I was at work had beautiful skin. She grew up in Alamosa, about a 5-hour drive south of Denver. When I asked her if she did anything to moisturize her skin she replied, "I take 1,000 units of vitamin E a day." I tried it. Within 3 days my skin improved. No more blizzard! No more slathering on copious amounts of lotion after a shower. To this day, I take natural (mixed tocopherols) vitamin E daily, NOT the synthetic that is also out there. My arms feel almost like a baby's, soft, smooth and not dry at all.

Note: Do some research before trying. Different folks have different body chemistry. What works for me may not work for you. Try 400 IU daily at first to see how your body reacts before moving up to 2 capsules daily. ;)

HTH :computerbath:
Interesting ~ I will have to do some research 🤓

Latest posts

Back