Ends, Nubs & Botches: Can I Get a Witness?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah...you think my "feet" comment was bad, I'd hate for someone to mistakenly hear me say, "I just made the most awesome batch of soap that smells of 'anus.' Care for a bar?"

HAHAHA! :D
my sister has schooled me in "TREAT YO SELF" i'm getting pretty good at it. some might say too good at it but life is short, i do what i want! :D
that big beautiful center cut? yeah baby thats mine!
end cuts do get used for testing and hang out on the kitchen sink however.

Anybody tried using nubs to clean your dispose-all? I was using one of those "Plink" things the other day and thought the same principle could work with 1" cube of old or not-so-perfect soap.
  1. Drop it in, then run the dispose-all dry or with a trickle of water to grind up the soap, then turn it off.
  2. Insert the stopper and fill the sink.
  3. Turn it on. Pull the stopper, and let the full sink flush through to fill the dispose-all and clean it top-to-bottom.
Any reason NOT to do that?

I grew up saying ANN-ise and that's how my husband's German family also pronounces it, and their tradional holiday Ansie Claw cookies are the bomb! At least for people who love licorice!
I never even heard a-NIECE until I started selling soap and a customer called it that! lol I thought 'What?' Took me a few minutes to realize what he was saying! lol

Anybody tried using nubs to clean your dispose-all? I was using one of those "Plink" things the other day and thought the same principle could work with 1" cube of old or not-so-perfect soap.
  1. Drop it in, then run the dispose-all dry or with a trickle of water to grind up the soap, then turn it off.
  3. Turn it on. Pull the stopper, and let the full sink flush through to fill the dispose-all and clean it top-to-bottom.
I would think it would depend on your superfat, and how hard your soap is, which oils it was made with in the first place, etc,
All I can envision is the disposal getting all gunked up with slimy soap chunks making matters worse instead of better.

Don't know how well our soap would really clean a garbage disposal. I know my soap doesn't wash dishes very well!
With water and disposal off, I just dump a good bit of baking soda down there, follow with a few glugs of white vinegar and let it do it's work. Once fizzing stops, I follow with a few handfuls of ice cubes and turn the faucet and disposal on and let'er grind! Seems to work well for me, and that's all I ever do!

I would think it would depend on your superfat, and how hard your soap is, which oils it was made with in the first place, etc,
All I can envision is the disposal getting all gunked up with slimy soap chunks making matters worse instead of better.
Who's soap you callin' slimey?!? Nah, I get it. I'd think you'd be flushing with hot water anyway, but it's a valid point.

Don't know how well our soap would really clean a garbage disposal. I know my soap doesn't wash dishes very well!
With water and disposal off, I just dump a good bit of baking soda down there, follow with a few glugs of white vinegar and let it do it's work. Once fizzing stops, I follow with a few handfuls of ice cubes and turn the faucet and disposal on and let'er grind! Seems to work well for me, and that's all I ever do!
Problem I have with that method and the Plinks is the dispose-all never fills up, so the top parts do get cleaned. Maybe if I used more soda and vinegar I'd get more fizz to help fill the chamber.

Who's soap you callin' slimey?!? Nah, I get it. I'd think you'd be flushing with hot water anyway, but it's a valid point.
LOL MINE! Even though mine isn't slimey, but have you ever tried or heard of making "liquid soap" by adding water to CP get the CP to dissolve to get LS? It's not pretty, and yes, it's a slimey, snotty mess... Bleh (umm,, don't ask me how I know! LOL :p:oops:)

ooooh i would absolutely NOT. i have never used plinks, are they like gel caps that burst open with cleaner inside? i had a plumber over last winter and talked to him about the dispos-all, he recommended to never put rice down it- not that the blades cant handle it but that it can block the pipe (seems a little excessive, and i do still send rice down it). he said unpopped popcorn kernels will break them. i wanted one strong enough to grind up bones if need be (which of course he recommended i dont do lol) anyways, most people dont have super powerful disposals installed, unless the soap was super soft- it might have a difficult time grinding it up, and then there might be concern with it all being flushed out completely.
i personally would never try that. we just throw our citrus peels and used lemon wedges in there to help keep it clean

Don't assume that bigger is better. And perfection is overrated. Those snippets of soap bring a lot of freedom! Unless my loaf came out of the mold with perfectly crisp edges, I cherish those little ends I cut off because I grab one to use in the shower. 1) they're small and several can fit in a single soap dish 2) I can use a different scent every time I wash 3) no waiting to use up a full size bar of soap before moving on to the next 4) no guilt in tossing the used up sliver of soap when it gets too small to handle. :)

However - for my personal favorite scents I do save myself a big bar! In fact its my birthday today and I opened a year old pink and white sparkly bar of Nurture's Fresh Cut Rose soap today! Yum yum! The scent is still on my skin hours later too - that's pretty rare.

Don't assume that bigger is better. And perfection is overrated. Those snippets of soap bring a lot of freedom! Unless my loaf came out of the mold with perfectly crisp edges, I cherish those little ends I cut off because I grab one to use in the shower. 1) they're small and several can fit in a single soap dish 2) I can use a different scent every time I wash 3) no waiting to use up a full size bar of soap before moving on to the next 4) no guilt in tossing the used up sliver of soap when it gets too small to handle. :)

However - for my personal favorite scents I do save myself a big bar! In fact its my birthday today and I opened a year old pink and white sparkly bar of Nurture's Fresh Cut Rose soap today! Yum yum! The scent is still on my skin hours later too - that's pretty rare.
Happy Birthday!!!

Latest posts

Back