Elephant Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my world of completely unfinished projects and ideas, I once thought if I ever sold soap, I would try to get the Elephant Sanctuary to buy some from me that they in turn could sell to raise money. I even drew up what I would use for my stamp, which was based on a sculpture I had seen of an elephant. Of course, I still don't sell and probably never will, but perhaps you could use the drawing for the stamp and then my "project" would actually have had some use, that is if you like it and would like to. I have used David from Lazercuts as well and he is wonderful!

Please use the drawing if you would like.

IMG_9112.jpg

The only thing i could think of is to use an elephant shaped mold. How to make one is the question. If you could somehow order liquid silicone, and pour it around one or more elephants that you have already made with something like sculpting clay. Or you could do like we do when sculpting, form a 3-d elephant, then pour plaster strategically over so that when you unmold it, it wont get stuck on the "Negative" areas and break your elephant. then, re-assemble the plaster mold, grease/line it and pour away! if you line it with saran wrap, maybe it will give that wrinkled skin look. In theory this idea would work. I have never done anything like it though! Or better yet, look for elephant molds that candle makers use, and use it. That would be easier, duh! sometimes i dont think...... :)

In my world of completely unfinished projects and ideas, I once thought if I ever sold soap, I would try to get the Elephant Sanctuary to buy some from me that they in turn could sell to raise money. I even drew up what I would use for my stamp, which was based on a sculpture I had seen of an elephant. Of course, I still don't sell and probably never will, but perhaps you could use the drawing for the stamp and then my "project" would actually have had some use, that is if you like it and would like to. I have used David from Lazercuts as well and he is wonderful!

Please use the drawing if you would like.

NEWBIE!!! I LOVE THIS!!!!! You are awesome and so is your drawing!!!! I am smiling so big right now! I didn't know there would be anyone out there who would have such a personal connection to a similar cause.

I have never actually used a soap stamp so I'll have to figure this out. Do you just stamp the tops of freshly unmolded soft soap, one bar at a time? Of do you need to have multiple stamps and pour over them? It seems like such a silly question. :oops: But I better get it figured out because the clock is ticking; my friend heads to Africa in February and her fundraiser will be some time before then.

My Mountain Soaps, Great ideas, thanks for sharing. I wondered about making a mold too. In fact I've looked at the hobby shops in town to see if I find a kit, but to no avail. I have seen some elephant molds on line that I could order but I'd have to get a bunch and that doesn't really appeal to me. That's when the footprint came to me, since that would start with a round mold (which I don't have either, but could go buy pvc or pringles, right?)

if doing a circle mold like for a foot print you say, you could experiment with a pie plate, fill it with moist sand or brown sugar even, and compress it really really hard. carve out your image, line it with saran wrap, and pour away. I have heard of other people doing similar things. That technique is also great to use for stepping stone, using concrete of course. I would use something larger than a pie pan for stepping stones though :)

CaraBou, do you know, I haven't been on the forum for over a month. I just popped on today and saw the headline of your post and then- poof! There it was!! I donate to the Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee and the elephant from the Madison Zoo, Winkie, whom I had seen a number of times, was accepted there and now lives there. SHe hasn't gotten the best press and is one of their more troubled girls but she is in a good place and getting better. I was quite surprised to see your desire to make a soap for an elephant cause because I previously had dreamed of doing a soap for each elephant there and then seeing if they could sell them. However, I'm not going to be a seller. I'm not a business person, so now, maybe I can feel a little gratified through you.

To stamp soaps, you do have to do them one at a time, but you can do them in a short amount of time. I usually wait a few days after cutting so they are a little harder, then position the stamp and pound it lightly with a hammer if I can find it, or the back of my small cast iron frying pan if I can't. You may want to practice on your end piece or least important bar first to see how hard to tap and how many times, to get the stamp fully in the soap but not so indented that you're squashing it. It doesn't take long to figure it out. THen you stamp away and it takes little time to do quite a few.

THe stamps are made of resin that isn't affected by the pH of soap and they are set to go to a certain depth. It comes on a wooden handle so is reusable for a long time. THat way, you can make a loaf, cut numerous bars and stamp the ones you want and you don't have to make each soap individually necessarily.

I truly would be so pleased for you to use the drawing, if you'd like. I can't even tell you how much I would love it.

CaraBou, do you know, I haven't been on the forum for over a month. I just popped on today and saw the headline of your post and then- poof! There it was!! I donate to the Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee and the elephant from the Madison Zoo, Winkie, whom I had seen a number of times, was accepted there and now lives there. SHe hasn't gotten the best press and is one of their more troubled girls but she is in a good place and getting better. I was quite surprised to see your desire to make a soap for an elephant cause because I previously had dreamed of doing a soap for each elephant there and then seeing if they could sell them. However, I'm not going to be a seller. I'm not a business person, so now, maybe I can feel a little gratified through you.

I truly would be so pleased for you to use the drawing, if you'd like. I can't even tell you how much I would love it.

Newbie,

I'm so sorry, I missed this post last night and didn't discover it until now. I think this is so cool, a perfect project that we can work on together. It will be our soap, and when the project is done I will send the stamp to you. Or if it's not too expensive, I'll order two, one for each of us to keep. I adore the drawing! Together we can work on the recipe and the colorants, fragrance and technique. It may be me that actually makes the soap, but there is no way I could consider this my own. I'll be in touch again through PM; maybe we can switch to email from there. Thank you so much, you are so generous and talented!

By the way, I don't sell soap either and I don't intend to sell this either. I did use that word further above but I didn't mean it that way and shouldn't have said it that way. My intention is for people to pay for it, but as a donation straight to my friend and her cause. So whether that will be silent auction or a suggested donation amount, I'm not sure; it will depend on how she sets up her fundraiser.

Also, people posted so many great ideas here, I may have to do several small batches so I can try them all! Provided I'm talented enough to pull them off, that is!

Heck, I would be completely into working on a soap together. We can drum up some ideas together and compare notes. Surely we can come up with something really cool!!!

I found your Sunset Savanna soap, newbie. It's incredible! Hey everyone, it's at
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=35791

It fits right in with what Dixiedragon described. An elephant (or herd of elephants?) might be doable since it is not as delicate as a giraffe. Maybe a trunk could even be hanger-swirled in. That would all be way above my skill level, but it is truly inspiring. I do hope one day I could create something so beautiful! Looking forward to your mentorship, newbie, thanks so much for your help and interest.

i was thinking last night how Carabou could do a soap design along the same principles of what newbie did. I pictured it to be an elephant walking towards you, with the sunset colors like what newbie did. But i think i better learn to use color before i attempt something like that!!!

newbie, that drawing is fabulous, and your giraffe sunset soap is gorgeous!

Okay, am I the only person who wants to do an elephant soap swap now?

i was thinking last night how Carabou could do a soap design along the same principles of what newbie did. I pictured it to be an elephant walking towards you, with the sunset colors like what newbie did. But i think i better learn to use color before i attempt something like that!!!

Yes, it is definitely inspiring. I would love to do something that beautiful and trade for more cool elephants! But I'm with you MMS, I better practice a little before I jump into something like that -- or my friend won't get any donations!

Speaking of my friend, she's in town and we're meeting for dinner tomorrow. I'll tell her then about the great ideas I got here and show her newbie's stamp design. She has never seen my soaps so this all might kind of surprise her. (We just met this summer and she lives several hours away). Hopefully she knows by now when she'll hold her fundraiser, and how many people might attend. Then I can plan my own strategy, including ordering the stamp. But I want to make sure she's not an artist with her own drawing to use!

Carabou, i just ordered a stamp yesterday, and i thought about your project this morning, and thought i had to tell you. What it is a blank stamp. It comes with how to instructions, carving tools, and all necessary tools to carve out your own stamp. I thought you might be interested in that for labels and such. let me know if you are interested. It is the HR lady at my husbands job that sells these on the side.

Wow, really? You mention for labels -- but would it work for soap too? It might be more convenient /cheaper than ordering from the UK. I met with my friend tonight and told her about this thread & showed her some of the photos. She was pretty psyched! Also very humbled that people she doesn't know have come forward to help with her endeavor.

She and her sister made up some tibetan prayer flags with an elephant on them (for fundraising), and we talked about maybe using that same elephant, or newbie's elephant, or another design she has on some earrings. They're all such clean designs, and any would look really nice. Looks like we have lots of time -- probably until March. Whew, that takes the pressure off over the holidays!

Anyway, yes, I would like to know more about the stamp. Dang, I feel like I know you and that we should just talk on the phone!

Last edited:
Back